Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2010, 03:39:41 PM
Sligonian, I have as much respect for your opinion as I have for the squealing of a stuck pig. You are one of those who seem to think it's excusable for people to attack a referee after a football match. On that account, I have zero time or respect for you.
The poor oul pig  :(   It probably wasnt his fault he got stuck.

Hardy, what do you think of the after-match actions of Joe, and his "perfect goal"?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 12, 2010, 03:43:51 PM
Sheridan took a chance during a game. Can't blame him for that. it was so outrageous he probably couldn't believe it wasn't spotted by the officials. That said he probably should have kept his counsel afterwards because he's come out with nothing but complete cobblers ever since in the media which reflects poorly on him.

I wouldn't blame him for what happened but he should have kept his mouth shut after the game was over.

Also as for the scenes with the ref after the match, if people don't view that as assult then God help this country.

J OGorman

Sligonian, I have as much respect for your opinion as I have for the squealing of a stuck pig. You are one of those who seem to think it's excusable for people to attack a referee after a football match. On that account, I have zero time or respect for you.

+1 , despicable that clowns like him are a part of the GAA

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 12, 2010, 03:44:29 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 03:36:03 PM
The only incident i condemn yday is the bottle thrown at the steward (im glad to hear hes ok), the rest as far as im concerned was handbags and intimidation and is been blown of all proportion imo.
Disgraceful that you won't condemn what happened the ref too.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 03:36:03 PM
Assault is not how i would describe it.
Thankfully you're not the law.

A standard definition of assault:
an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact
Well then all sports are assault so. Will de jong be done after his karate kick? Was that a million miles worse than what any louth fan did. 

As far as im concerned the ref brought it on himself, no sympathy for him whatsoever.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on July 12, 2010, 03:50:18 PM
The poor oul pig  :(   It probably wasnt his fault he got stuck.

Hardy, what do you think of the after-match actions of Joe, and his "perfect goal"?

Hound, I'm reluctant to get involved in discussing Joe, on the basis that it just extends the opportunities for more outrageous slander to be posted here that shouldn't be, keeping in mind that we have a situation where people (I use the term loosely) are setting up vilification websites, ffs.

Joe has said or done nothing wrong, or, in my opinion, even unwise. Of course, it's neither here nor there, but I happen to know Joe is an exceptional man by any standards, not a cheat, and one of the most honourable and decent people you could meet.

zoyler

Barney, if you have done nothing wrong why would you believe you have gotten away with something???

Hardy - you have to allow for the circumstances - such a horrendous decision by an arrogant bastard of a ref who won't consult his umpires and is not fit enough to be near enough to the action and has 'previous' for causing mayhem - then decided to be such a conceited p***k that he starts taking the names of players clearly deeply upset by HIS arrogant behaviour.  He thus makes himself available to the hotheads(which every county has) so that they can take a poke at him.
Idiot though he was the assaults are still inexcusable and those identified should be dealt with.
An other idiot is Joe Sheridan who should have avoided provoking further outrage by claiming it as a legitimate goal and appearing to gloat over his 'steal'

Dont Matter

Can ye people not see what really was happening after the match? Those "supporters" attacking the ref were obviously dirty Dubs wearing Louth jersey's that they'd stolen.
They went too hard on the gear for the last few days and arrived on the wrong day for their match. They attacked the ref cause he was wrecking their buzz.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Puckoon

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 02:04:22 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 12, 2010, 01:57:48 AM
Ah come on Sligonian there is absolutely no excuse for that carry on. The referee did make a monumental c**k up but he still should not be subjected to that sort of intimidation from mindless eejits.

Louth were robbed of what would've been their greatest day in donkey's years so you can understand the level of fustration of people but you have to show a level of self control - for me Peter Fitzpatrick deserves a lot of credit for his actions. The footage of the young Louth garsĂșn in tears when what I presume was his father was being held by a security guard was heartbreaking. That man should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

It was no c**k up, ffs if he wanted to give louth fair play he would of asked the umpires. In no way was this a mistake. Its far to PC and Niave to give the ref that excuse.

Ive never even come close to this with refs but fck me i can understand. If this had happened Sligo in 07 i would of went ballistic and i dont know what I would have done.

When people can't control their emotions and how it affects their behaviour - most societies lock em up.

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2010, 03:59:05 PM
Joe has said or done nothing wrong, or, in my opinion, even unwise. Of course, it's neither here nor there, but I happen to know Joe is an exceptional man by any standards, not a cheat, and one of the most honourable and decent people you could meet.
Fair enough and its only a very small minority who would have issue with what he did on the pitch while putting the ball in the net. Its not his fault the officials were incompetent.

However, personally I think him telling people he scored a perfectly good goal is very unwise and leaves himself wide open for people to question his honour and decency. 

SLIGONIAN

I dont think Joe is cheat, he dived for the line but did try to get his foot to it but failed. I also think setting up websites to vilify him is not right and shouldnt not be allowed. But my opinion on his reaction still stands. You cant deny he lied about the goal and wasnt inciting hatred with his fist pumping and grin.

rionach 4

Hardy I am from Armagh and would have to agree with your post. I do not blame Meath for what happened yesterday .

Joe Sheridan did not deliberately dive over the line , he fell over it and yes he threw the ball into the net .. It was no goal  plain and simple . The referee made an extremely bad call  as did the umpires whom I still wonder what exactly is their role.

Even if they had stated to Sludden that the ball was carried over the line etc would it have any weight . Have they any power to suggest that . I dont think so . Nor do they have any say on the square ball issue or  the penalty. Umpires only judge on whether the ball crossed the line which it did albeit illegally but that is not for them to decide.

They can only report to the referee the issue of  off the ball foul-play and whether or not the ball has went between the post or under the posts etc.

They should have raised the green flag irrespective . It was soley up to Sludden to disallow it.

I was in a pub in Enniskillen on my way to the qualifier match between Armagh and Fermanagh and everyone was cheering on Louth. However when sludden was pushed and grappled there was total disgust

I have every sympathy for Louth and would to have seen them win not because I am anti Meath but for , like most the underdog and good for the game etc.
I have no sympathy for the louts who came on to the field to attack The referee  . You have made us a laughing stock (if it wasnt so serious)  catch yourselves on . Major games in any other sport do not end in this country like that.  To be fair this was a disaster waiting to happen.
Peter McKenna , Croke park official on the radio stated that the protection of the ref was adequately addressed . What planet are you living ion Peter. It was a good 40 secs which is quite a long time in a situation like this before a guard got near him.

If you ask me he was lucky  wasnt seriously injured.
If you think what happened the referee can be condoned in any way then you are not a gael in any snense of the word .

take the ball back to the bog where you belong . For me the mask slipped yesterday. In every county there are those individuals who  would condone this type of behaviour and can live easily with it. Not in my game you dont do it not in my sport and never in my name
Hardy you are correct in what you say. 

Louth you have brought a breath of fresh air to the championship. stand back and take a cold hard look and take it on the chin.  Regroup and come back into the qualifiers twice as determined  you may well yet get your replay.

Tyrone did it to us in 2005

Jinxy

Much like the Thierry Henry incident, I have a feeling a lot of people will be looking back on their comments here in the weeks to come with a sense of mild embarrassment.
Oh to have played with all the lads here who were never awarded a soft free to level up a game, never went down a bit easy under a challenge, never tried to get a man already on a yellow another one, never pulled a mans jersey, never shouted "Wide" at an umpire etc.
The level of hysteria both here, in the print media and on the airwaves is laughable.
I'm on the record saying it was a bad decision and I'd have no problem with a replay.
But the character assassination of Joe Sheridan, a decent young man from a fantastic GAA family is indicative of a trend whereby players are turned into pantomime villains primarily because it gives people a good excuse for an aul rant.
It'll be someone else next week no doubt.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: rionach 4 on July 12, 2010, 04:09:15 PM
Peter McKenna , Croke park official on the radio stated that the protection of the ref was adequately addressed . What planet are you living ion Peter. It was a good 40 secs which is quite a long time in a situation like this before a guard got near him.

McKenna's a dick of the highest order. Dubs have been saying it for quite a while but many are catching on now.

The lack of security was scandalous, and purely down to a cost cutting exercise on McKenna's part. For him to come out and say it was perfectly adequate was a disgrace. In his next breath he blamed Fitzpatrick for causing the pitch invasion because Fitzpatrick wanted to talk to ref!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Puckoon on July 12, 2010, 04:07:35 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 02:04:22 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 12, 2010, 01:57:48 AM
Ah come on Sligonian there is absolutely no excuse for that carry on. The referee did make a monumental c**k up but he still should not be subjected to that sort of intimidation from mindless eejits.

Louth were robbed of what would've been their greatest day in donkey's years so you can understand the level of fustration of people but you have to show a level of self control - for me Peter Fitzpatrick deserves a lot of credit for his actions. The footage of the young Louth garsĂșn in tears when what I presume was his father was being held by a security guard was heartbreaking. That man should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

It was no c**k up, ffs if he wanted to give louth fair play he would of asked the umpires. In no way was this a mistake. Its far to PC and Niave to give the ref that excuse.

Ive never even come close to this with refs but fck me i can understand. If this had happened Sligo in 07 i would of went ballistic and i dont know what I would have done.

When people can't control their emotions and how it affects their behaviour - most societies lock em up.
Well i couldnt control my emotions that day because i went ballistic in a very positive way. Never got close to running on to a pitch after a ref tbh as you have to control yourself and think of the consequences, i have shouted in abuse at refs as we all have in our lifetime, but i think it was unconcious reaction yday, they just lost the run of themselves, they should be punished but not banned for life as it wasnt assault. Maybe 48 weeks or something like that.

Main Street

I suppose Sludden should have sprinted out of there like a scalded cat, but I guess he had a few more names to write down.

Fwiw, if Meath want to offer a replay, fine but Louth should accept the result and go into the qualifiers. The after-match shenanigans were the by far the greatest slur against the GAA yesterday. I hope the Louth co board have issued an unreserved apology to Sludden, and the GAA for those scenes and accept that there was absolutely no justification for those attempts at mindless thuggery. Now the spectre of pitch invasions by disgruntled louts intent on despoiling the game looms large.