Cill Dara v Aontroim - AI Football Qualifier 26/06/10

Started by Dinny Breen, June 13, 2010, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

First things first, a great reception for Dermot óg and I'm sure his father would have been proud of his performance.

Very entertaining game even though the overall standard of football was poor enough at times. Kildare's defence improved hugely from Navan. Kelly was solid enough on his debut. McGrillen held his own and benefitted from Antrim withdrawing a forward out the field. He made some great surging runs and was unfortunate not to register on the scoreboard once or twice. Special mention for Andrew McLoughlin who I thought had his best game for Kildare in years.

Midfield was about 50/50. Earley seemed to pick up a knock midway through the second half and Antrim began to get more of a foothold after. I thought it was a strange decision to move Roli out to midfield when O'Connor came on for Dermot. Roli had the beating of his man inside and O'Connor might have worked better out around the middle of the field. In fairness to him he was very unlucky not to find the net late on. Flynn put in a good shift and made some great catches around the square.

Forwards blew hot and cold. Johnny, Kavanagh, Roli and Paudie all showed glimpses of what they were capable of each kicking good scores from play but we kicked a shocking amount of loose ball away - particularly in the first half. The wind carried a lot of passes wide into the town end in the first half. Flaherty mixed the good with the bad when he came on - kicked a nice point in extra time and he will definitely benefit from the experience. I thought Cribbin should have been brought on a bit earlier to use his pace to carry the ball into the wind in the second half.

Maurice Deegan was poor throughout. Some very strange calls against both sides. I can't understand why referees from neighbouring counties are appointed to inter-county matches. Surely there should have been a Connacht or Munster referee in charge last night?

Hopefully the replay will be as entertaining. Kildare are closer to knowing their best 15 and if they don't concede silly frees I see no reason why they can't win in Belfast.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Maybe I'm becoming bitter like an RTE panelist in old age but that to me was not an enteraining game, the stop start nature killed it and this was down to Maurice Deegan and his quite awful officiating. Would agree on Andrew McLoughlin, not his biggest fan as you well know but he grew in confidence and he played like in did when he first got on the panel, still think Brian Flanagan needs a spell on the sideline as he again didn't impress me last night. We really need to get Jimmers on the ball as much as ball as he really is our only outstanding creative player and O'Connor needs to start the next day, his physicality was causing Antrim all sorts of bother when the right ball went in to him.

I think the Antrim PRO thinks he is back in the Roman times and has just returned from a vist to Capula and it's gladiator school Ludus. Spartacus would be indeed be impressed with his match report.

QuoteAntrim Senior Football Players graduate with honour.

Antrim senior football was put to the ultimate test today, in terms of going into the lions den and facing up to the fury of a team inspired by the desire to pay tribute to the memory one of their former County Chieftains. Kildare players were fired up with emotion and the pain of loss was marked by their supporters, who were out and in the ground in their tens of thousands. The scene was all but a sea of lily white and their intimidating presence was awesome.

Bakers lads, proud and prepared, were honed and toned and came through this ultimate test with honours, after one of the toughest encounters they are ever likely to face. These lads have endured a programme of tough discipline and seemingly endless demands in terms of hard training; after today they will all better appreciate the value of this and also better understand that this is the price to be paid in order to withstand the might of more experienced teams in championship football.

These lads have evolved from lambs to lions over the past two years and their performance today should finally dispel any lingering or residual doubts that as a team they have the bottle. Admiration and lasting respect was their reward today. For those who made the journey down they must have been unbelievably ecstatic and proud to be true Antrim supporters today.

The memories of this epic battle and resultant draw at 15 points each will feed down through a generation; that is beyond question. Victory today was all but impossible for Antrim or so it seemed. Defeat was struck off the agenda at outset. Today was a critical milestone in terms of Antrim's further progress. The benefit of any doubt, in terms of adjudication, was never to be theirs today and they were granted no favours. In the circumstances a draw was as much as could be extracted.

The replay in Casement next week will offer Bakers lads another and well deserved opportunity to dig in and out-perform to their home crowd with a further chance to demonstrate that they have in truth now graduated in championship football. These guys have stamped respect on an Antrim top and wherever that is now seen or worn it will become a symbol pride and herald a new dawning for Antrim Gaels. The time has come to join up with the saffron Army and march proud again. If in doubt ask any one of those people or whole families of proud Antrim Gaels, who are already joined up and marching?

This was a proud day for Bakers boys. They could all so easily have capitulated in the intimidating atmosphere but instead they fought a running battle, side by side for more than 90 minutes, like true warriors and faced this inordinate task with grit and determination , doing us all proud; they are worthy of and will have earned our lasting respect for that. This was one of those Gaa matches which will be a topic of conversation at wakes and weddings near and far for another generation. Being there for the adrenalin feast really was something else; it is now 3 00 am., [got home just before 2 00am.] I am knackered. Well done lads .
Lawrence Smyth county PRO.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Good aul Lawrence Smyth would be the fiercest of supporters and that sounds like a speech from the BBC football commentator Stuart Hall!!!

Would always bring out the positives. Very rarely would find any fault, in fact never!!! so Antrim for the All Ireland
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

He's well renowned for those reports Dinny. I haven't bothered reading them since the first one I read from him... Still you have to admire how positive he is!

Looking forward to the rematch of this. We fielded a very different team the last day to the teams we have fielded all year. Hopefully a game together will help.

Our best midfield is Mick McCann and McGourty. We're burdened a bit by having to play McCann FF. I think we need to be starting CJ too. That's the first match I have ever seen where he hasn't scored and I wouldn't expect to be seeing that happen again too often.

Dinny Breen

In fairness no harm with a bit of positivity, beats the normal negativity that seems predominant in match reports these days.

If Antrim had been a little bit more adventurous they might have won the game becuase when they ran at Kildare we were in fierce trouble, who was the guy wearing 33 in the end in midfield, very impressive in the last 20 plus extra time imho.

Also nice touch by the Antrim team to allow the Kildare team hold centre stage for the minute applause. Also the Antriim fans were very vocal and helped generate a great atmosphere and plenty of colour, sound bunch.
#newbridgeornowhere

SambaSaffron

A very fair report Donnelly's Hollow. As you say, the ref was poor for both sides, not just Kildare, though we did get a couple of handy ones in scoring distance. Paddy Cunningham was brilliant from placed balls, even with all the unnecessary booing. Though our fans weren't squeaky clean either, I don't see the need for Celtic or Ra songs at Gaelic matches.
I actually thought we were cleaned out at midfield though, which doesn't often happen. That said, Kevin McGourty was brilliant in there for about half an hour. Thought Kevin O'Boyle was excellent in defence. Not sure what Sean McGreevy was at in the first half!
Tommygunn I don't see any reason to start CJ yesterday. He touched the ball about 4 times. One was blocked when he should have passed, one went wide from too far out to be shooting, he missed a 45, and dropped the ball inexplicably when he could have been through on goal. A poor display.

SambaSaffron

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 27, 2010, 10:57:09 AM
In fairness no harm with a bit of positivity, beats the normal negativity that seems predominant in match reports these days.

If Antrim had been a little bit more adventurous they might have won the game becuase when they ran at Kildare we were in fierce trouble, who was the guy wearing 33 in the end in midfield, very impressive in the last 20 plus extra time imho.

Also nice touch by the Antrim team to allow the Kildare team hold centre stage for the minute applause. Also the Antriim fans were very vocal and helped generate a great atmosphere and plenty of colour, sound bunch.
33 was Kevin McGourty. A couple of our lads changed shirts, presume there was blood.

Anyone hear what happened at halftime? Hefty fines in line I'd imagine.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 27, 2010, 09:28:52 AM
Maybe I'm becoming bitter like an RTE panelist in old age but that to me was not an enteraining game, the stop start nature killed it and this was down to Maurice Deegan and his quite awful officiating. Would agree on Andrew McLoughlin, not his biggest fan as you well know but he grew in confidence and he played like in did when he first got on the panel, still think Brian Flanagan needs a spell on the sideline as he again didn't impress me last night. We really need to get Jimmers on the ball as much as ball as he really is our only outstanding creative player and O'Connor needs to start the next day, his physicality was causing Antrim all sorts of bother when the right ball went in to him.

I think the Antrim PRO thinks he is back in the Roman times and has just returned from a vist to Capula and it's gladiator school Ludus. Spartacus would be indeed be impressed with his match report.

You're a hard man to please DB! The football was poor enough but twas a good night's entertainment for a tenner. I'm sure it was better than the world cup circus that the national broadcaster seems obsessed with.

Can't see too many changes for the replay. Chalky in for Hugh Lynch would be the only obvious one unless there's been injuries.

That report from the Antrim PRO is gas!

Quote from: SambaSaffron on June 27, 2010, 11:00:13 AM

It's been rumoured that the guards were called in to one of the dressing rooms for some reason and were going to prevent one player from playing in the second half. God knows why. Hopefully all will be revealed in due course.

Dinny Breen

Never meant to imply the ref was poor just for Kildare he was just poor period. The booing I think came from frustration, Cunningham took an age and Antrim did seem to be trying to slow the tempo down, it was just something else Deegan failed to manage. Singing didn't bother me just added to the atmosphere, thought it was McGourty alright just the number confused me.

Kildare have an annoying habit of been late out at half-time, McGeeney insists on using the full 15 mins (any one else think that 15 mins is a ridiculous amount time for a ht break after only 35 min football), so I'd imagine Antrim didn't want to be on the pitch waiting for Kildare to come out, so a stand-off ensued and with a clown like Deegan in charge no surprise this happened. Fines for both teams no doubt.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteIt's been rumoured that the guards were called in to one of the dressing rooms for some reason and were going to prevent one player from playing in the second half. God knows why. Hopefully all will be revealed in due course.

Didn't hear that the wifes bro-in-law was stewarting yest, will give him a shout to see what happened.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 27, 2010, 11:16:02 AM
QuoteIt's been rumoured that the guards were called in to one of the dressing rooms for some reason and were going to prevent one player from playing in the second half. God knows why. Hopefully all will be revealed in due course.

Didn't hear that the wifes bro-in-law was stewarting yest, will give him a shout to see what happened.

Overheard someone coming out by the town end terrace talking about it after the match. It sounds very strange.

Dinny Breen

Seemingly there was an incident but don't think the guards were involved, no dount all be revealed in due course, incidental to the game.

Anyway I'm not that hard to please just frustrated as a like my football to be played with a fluidity and a high temp and just think with a different ref we could have got that last night.

McGeeney did well last night I thought Hugh Lynch's role was to drop deep and play as a sweeper but he kept going forward and kicked in some wasteful ball so no surprise to see the early change and Chalkie was better suited to that role and was more disciplined than Hugh but I thought it was a good tactical move from McGeeny to introduce it for this game. Peter Kelly did very well for his debut, looked very composed on the ball.
#newbridgeornowhere

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: SambaSaffron on June 27, 2010, 11:00:13 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 27, 2010, 10:57:09 AM

33 was Kevin McGourty. A couple of our lads changed shirts, presume there was blood.

Kevin McGourty is some footballer. He was the main reason why Antrim remained in the championship last night with a superb second half display when the chips where down. The best player in Antrim IMHO.

aontroim

Whilst theres no doubt the atmosphere was great and the game provided a bit of excitement, the standard of football was very poor.  I won't comment on Kildare as I haven't seen them play at first hand enough, but Antrim have much to improve on for next weekend's replay.  Someone said midfield was 50/50 - nowhere close to that - Antrim worringly were cleaned out in midfield and couldn't manage to pick up the break ball for love nor money - i can only remember 2 times in the first half we won possession from a (long) kickout.

As for the short kickouts - heart in mouth everytime the ball was kicked - immediately putting the man under pressure so close to goals and one in particular should have been punished by Kildare to the back of the net but for bad shooting / indecision.  Obviously this was the plan to counter a bigger more physical Kildare midfield, as they were even at it in the second half at times playing with the breeze.  There were times Gallagher came running for short kickouts and the ball was kicked long and greatfully received by a Kildare player. 

Suspicions earlier in the week Mick McCann was carrying an injury and on last nights performance that may be true - wasnt his usual self at all.

Justy Crozier playing full back didnt really work - whether he was tasked with man marking Kavanagh? (12) was the reason i'm not sure but he was caught in possession and beaten to the ball more than usual.

Cunningham - excellent from placed balls - scored from play from a quick free but was stationary for the rest of the game - never really came looking for the ball and as a result the antrim backs / midfield had little to aim for and had to try to run it themselves. 

I still enjoyed the game - but definitely not for the standard of play on show.  Hoping for much better in the wide open spaces of Casement on Saturday.

Finally all credit to whoever decided on the minutes applause rather than the minutes silence - a great tribute to a great man, and i would have worried that during a minutes silence, some of the travelling support who were a little worse for wear may have spoiled the occasion.

Gold

Our  PRO is mental --his reports are all the same but fair play to him he's positive when others wouldnt be. We've had a negative attitude towards our county team for too long -- going to places like Kildare and not losing is new to us, it's great.

Thought the game wasnt good, it had no flow. I think we kicked 3 shots from play in the first half, scoring all of them, the rest of shots were from frees. This wont do--we need to kick the ball into the full forward line but we also need boys to show.

Brady was getting on the ball too far out the field, PC barely touched the ball and CJ wasnt at the races.

McGourty wasnt really in it until he caughgt his first clean catch on 57 mins and was great thereafter but needs to maintain that level. He also needs to wise up, he was on a yellow and had to be held back by Antrim players from going mad at the ref --he pushed his own players out of the way who were trying to hold him back --its embarrasing. People have paid money to go down and support the team, its not fair on them if a player selfishly loses the head and gets sent off, ending the year for the county. He played well tho and without him at the end we'd be out --needs to lift it earlier next wk.

Scullion's work rate is first class, you couldnt not have him on the team. His kicking though is still dodgy and went to a green jersey too often but he's a powerhouse  and they are all too rare in our county so he'd always be in my team.

A good game for me is when teams win ball in the middle, drive it into the full forwards, who either lay it off to the runner or turn and kick it over. We never did that once last night, our play was laboured. We are dangerous though when running at pace, Tomas, Loughrey and Niblock need to do this more as they'll only be stopped by fouls.

Good crowd down from Antrim, good atmosphere in the tight, packed Newbridge stadium. Need to get the numbers out in Casement next wk as it can seem dead there when its half empty.

We need to get ahead, play without fear and enjoy our football. We can do it but need to compete at midfield.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."