Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

You couldn't defend that DR but I think the players have a lot to answer for as well. Plenty of bad wides or short balls and awful performances from far too many lads. As bad as JOM's performance was today I'm not sure any manager in the country would want to work with those players. Ah I don't know, there was so much wrong with it all it's hard to make sense of it.

Well done Sligo btw, I hope you go on and win it now. A great performance from ye.

moysider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 05, 2010, 09:44:47 PM
Doesn't matter a f**k who manages Mayo, we are and always will be a soft flakey team, when we come up against a problem, wee pass the buck and our so called leaders hide away hoping some one else will take on the tough challenge. There is a reason we haven't won an All Ireland in a lifetime and its not all down to managers. JOM has to go no doubt, and bring some of our hollow heros with him. Again last week we have articles in Newspapers from the same players, things have changed, different attitude blah, blah,blah, get the f**k out of the way and let players who might not have the silky skills but will give 100%. Thats all we the supporters ask for,  now thats not too much is it? As for the money issues and the county board, good enough for them, just puits the tin hat on it really.

Of course it matters who manages the team. O Mahoney got rid of leaders and players with an edge because he likes to be the main man himself it would appear. I d say a lot of our players tonight are only concerned that they re not dropped the next game. There is no culture to encourage players to take more responsibility - only to hide. We look a bet down nannied team. Management talk about leadership but it s just old rhetoric. Leaders have to be picked first of all and then encouraged. Before this game I thought we had a few leaders or at least pretended to be trying to lead. Clarkey, Keith, Andy and Dillon. We need more than that.No leader in the spine of the team after 4 years of rebuilding. Some mess we re in. I mainly agree with you though.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 05, 2010, 06:36:45 PM
Well done Sligo great performance and well worthy of their win. Some of the Mayo players look as if they have lost their appetite for the game and Its clear that Johnno no longer has anything to offer.

Congrats especially to Sligonian who clearly has shown he knows his football.

I think that's fair comment and I hope the queue of people who were so keen to belittle him man up and admit they were way off beam.

Good performance from Sligo. The two sweepers made the first half hard to watch for the neutral but it was a necessary move for Sligo. When we went back man to man for the second half our lads knew we had them for the taking. Jimmy White did his best but even his considerable help wasn't enough for Mayo. In a funny was he did us a favour as if we'd got fair play we might have won by 7 to 10 which would made it twice as hard to keep the feet on the ground. While we played well there's still a lot to work on if we're to beat Galway in Salthill but again we'll go into it with no fear. Very proud of the lads and especially my two club mates today. Costello let his football do the talking when it mattered most. You don't get through 70 minutes like that if you're "a bit tubby" as someone said. As for Keelan - looked like he was there for years.

This result was not a shock though despite what the ill-informed media guys who make money from rubbish say.

Will post more later, going for a few panadol now. Louth just completed my clean sweep of bets today!

Great post seanie, I be talking to sligonian from time to time and he is as passionate a man about his county as you will ever meet, he also contributes a great deal of money to the cause and I will never hear a bad word about him, i am especially happy for him today, he must be very proud.

That said Mayo scare me, they are down but not out, if they get a couple of wins under thier belt i would dread meeting them, they have the ability to destroy you but for now it seems they lack the belief in themselves and the system they employ.

You don't become a bad manager overnight, JOM  will learn from this and i hope he is given time to right the ship, the talent is there, the belief is not and the manager cant make one iota of difference once the game starts, the players have to be accountable just as much as the management team and I think people on here miss that point to a degree.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on June 05, 2010, 09:59:43 PM
You couldn't defend that DR but I think the players have a lot to answer for as well. Plenty of bad wides or short balls and awful performances from far too many lads. As bad as JOM's performance was today I'm not sure any manager in the country would want to work with those players. Ah I don't know, there was so much wrong with it all it's hard to make sense of it.

Well done Sligo btw, I hope you go on and win it now. A great performance from ye.

The bad wides, short balls and poor performances are only symptoms of basic underlying problem. These lads know this train is going nowhere fast. They know the set-up is rancid. There is no belief in each other or that they are going about it the right way. Deep down they dont want to be playing Cork or Kerry again this year. They want off this train and they wanted off today when they realised there was a battle afoot.

SLIGONIAN

There was expectation in Sligo, there was Confidence, and boy did our lads deliver.

We can all predict as much a we like, but one thing Ive learned is it NEVER goes the way you expect it, everyone I meet Sligo "need to take all there chances", "Sligo need to start well", blah blah, the old cliches, No we didnt start well and no we didnt take all our chances is what my reply was, I felt we have better players and we proved it today.

Congrats to management who rectified there mistake in starting Sweeney Wing forward, and leaving McGuire too isolated at the start, once them changes happened we blew mayo apart. Congrats to the players, so proud of yee.

If i hear another mayo, galway or any county man tell me the Division 1 and 3 difference, Challenge games again and use that for there belief in winning well you are a clown.

In fairness to most of mayomen on here ye were respectful and went easy on me in 08 so I'll do the same.

Full match analysis tomorrow, Ive already watched the game again, probably watch it again tomorrow to cure my hangover.

Sligeach abu,

PS we know we havent won anything yet, and if you watch a replay when final whistle goes watch EOH saying to the players calm down weve won nothing yet. What a legend.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zulu on June 05, 2010, 09:59:43 PM

of course the players have a lot to answer for Zulu but in fairness like moysider said i knew we were in trouble 5 minutes in to the 2nd half it looked like we had no energy no fight  just like cork in the league final and meath last year . he has kept the same management team with him,  all yes me not one of them would question him they are in awe of him and as far as i know practically the same trainer look at the difference between him and Kevin Walshe walshe surrounded himself with lads who knew sligo football he got just newly retired players like dessie sloyan who the existing players respected and got them on board and listened to them how ofter have you seen the sligo mamangement team of 4 huddled together (they were after5 minutes of todays match and the change worked) can you imagine o'mahony doing something like that not a chance .as regards working with the team the need some one with new fresh ideas some one they can respond to take sligo for e.g 2 years ago mayo hammered then out of mc hale park and look at them now look how they have responded they have confidence instilled in them all the mayo players have listened to is o'mahony telliing the mayo public not to expect too much, that he is rebuilding eventualy that has to seep in to the players mind
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: stew on June 05, 2010, 10:17:18 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 05, 2010, 06:36:45 PM
Well done Sligo great performance and well worthy of their win. Some of the Mayo players look as if they have lost their appetite for the game and Its clear that Johnno no longer has anything to offer.

Congrats especially to Sligonian who clearly has shown he knows his football.

I think that's fair comment and I hope the queue of people who were so keen to belittle him man up and admit they were way off beam.

Good performance from Sligo. The two sweepers made the first half hard to watch for the neutral but it was a necessary move for Sligo. When we went back man to man for the second half our lads knew we had them for the taking. Jimmy White did his best but even his considerable help wasn't enough for Mayo. In a funny was he did us a favour as if we'd got fair play we might have won by 7 to 10 which would made it twice as hard to keep the feet on the ground. While we played well there's still a lot to work on if we're to beat Galway in Salthill but again we'll go into it with no fear. Very proud of the lads and especially my two club mates today. Costello let his football do the talking when it mattered most. You don't get through 70 minutes like that if you're "a bit tubby" as someone said. As for Keelan - looked like he was there for years.

This result was not a shock though despite what the ill-informed media guys who make money from rubbish say.

Will post more later, going for a few panadol now. Louth just completed my clean sweep of bets today!

Great post seanie, I be talking to sligonian from time to time and he is as passionate a man about his county as you will ever meet, he also contributes a great deal of money to the cause and I will never hear a bad word about him, i am especially happy for him today, he must be very proud.

That said Mayo scare me, they are down but not out, if they get a couple of wins under thier belt i would dread meeting them, they have the ability to destroy you but for now it seems they lack the belief in themselves and the system they employ.

You don't become a bad manager overnight, JOM  will learn from this and i hope he is given time to right the ship, the talent is there, the belief is not and the manager cant make one iota of difference once the game starts, the players have to be accountable just as much as the management team and I think people on here miss that point to a degree.

I dont think we do. This is Johnno s team and they clearly dont believe in him - for good reasons. He has n't become a bad manager overnight. He has become an ineffective one over the guts of a decade. And he wont learn from this like he did n't learn from the defeat to Cork. And dont let Mayo scare ye. It s only Mayo folk they should scare. Today is as good as it gets for this Summer I m afraid. We may still have to hit rock bottom though before people come to their senses.

IolarCoisCuain

Well done Sligo, and where-ever Sligonian is tonight, I hope the porter is particularly creamy. He and Indiana are two men whom you can rely on to go ballistic at the least slight, real or imagined, on their native heaths and dammit, that's what the Association is all about. When it comes to heart and pride in the colours Sligonian reminds me of no-one so much as Eamon O'Hara, and I'm sure he'd be happy with that comparison.

As for Mayo. Well, there's a poem that Sir Winston Churchill liked to quote that occurred to me on the long spin home today:

"Who is in charge of the clattering train?
The axles creak and the couplings strain,
and the pace is hot and the points are near,
and sleep hath deadened the driver's ear,
and the signals flash through the night in vain,
for Death is in charge of the clattering train!
"

Break your bloody heart, after a while.  :'(

loughshore lad

Falr play to Sligo on a fully deserved win.

What exactly is the story with Costelloe playing for Sligo and being a former Mayo panelist?  Has he changed clubs or something like that?

stew

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 05, 2010, 10:29:45 PM
Well done Sligo, and where-ever Sligonian is tonight, I hope the porter is particularly creamy. He and Indiana are two men whom you can rely on to go ballistic at the least slight, real or imagined, on their native heaths and dammit, that's what the Association is all about. When it comes to heart and pride in the colours Sligonian reminds me of no-one so much as Eamon O'Hara, and I'm sure he'd be happy with that comparison.

As for Mayo. Well, there's a poem that Sir Winston Churchill liked to quote that occurred to me on the long spin home today:

"

Iolar you had me until you quoted tat irish hating cnut Churchill, that said your point is well taken,.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 05, 2010, 10:23:14 PM
There was expectation in Sligo, there was Confidence, and boy did our lads deliver.

We can all predict as much a we like, but one thing Ive learned is it NEVER goes the way you expect it, everyone I meet Sligo "need to take all there chances", "Sligo need to start well", blah blah, the old cliches, No we didnt start well and no we didnt take all our chances is what my reply was, I felt we have better players and we proved it today.

Congrats to management who rectified there mistake in starting Sweeney Wing forward, and leaving McGuire too isolated at the start, once them changes happened we blew mayo apart. Congrats to the players, so proud of yee.

If i hear another mayo, galway or any county man tell me the Division 1 and 3 difference, Challenge games again and use that for there belief in winning well you are a clown.

In fairness to most of mayomen on here ye were respectful and went easy on me in 08 so I'll do the same.

Full match analysis tomorrow, Ive already watched the game again, probably watch it again tomorrow to cure my hangover.

Sligeach abu,

PS we know we havent won anything yet, and if you watch a replay when final whistle goes watch EOH saying to the players calm down weve won nothing yet. What a legend.

Get off this board and get down to the Fiddler's Creek or whatever it's call straightaway, you eejit. You have all week at work next week for blather.

Rossfan

Forgive me if I have a little  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Congrats to the Sligoites here ..Seanie and especially Sligonian who has taken some stick from the Mayowestros bucks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: stew on June 05, 2010, 10:32:56 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 05, 2010, 10:29:45 PM

"

Iolar you had me until you quoted tat irish hating cnut Churchill, that said your point is well taken,.

I take your point Stew. I have Churchill conflicts myself. My favourite uncle lived in England for years, and he told me the only time he was ever happy was when Churchill's funeral went by him on the scaffolding.

But, you know, Martin and the two Gerrys say the long war is over now and if anybody ought to know it's those two bucks. Tonight, I have to take comfort where I find it and I'll tell you Stew, it's going to take some serious searching.

AbbeySider

David Brady had a couple of great quotes today that summed things up.

On Eamonn O'Hara:
He is a bit like the benjamin button of Sligo football, I think its younger he is getting

On the lack of leadership in the Mayo team he said something like:
Leaders are hard come by, you cant just go out and buy leaders on ebay

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 05, 2010, 11:08:25 PM
David Brady had a couple of great quotes today that summed things up.

On Eamonn O'Hara:
He is a bit like the benjamin button of Sligo football, I think its younger he is getting

On the lack of leadership in the Mayo team he said something like:
Leaders are hard come by, you cant just go out and buy leaders on ebay

Brady himself was a leader. The 1996 All-Ireland and replays were the only All-Irelands he started in his career with Mayo. It's not all by accident that we lose.