Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Great stuff, Sligo, but it's hard to asses the merit of that win. I've rarely seen such an abject performance in championship football as Mayo served up tonight.

Sligo certainly have talent in abundance and the right stuff in fighting spirit. The next day out will be the real test and if they can overcome Galway they won't fear anyone.

REDCOL

After drowning my sorrows, Sligo by far the best team. Anyone listen to Martin Mc Hugh on midwest after the match and the passion he showed. Instead of the knee jerk reaction give the job to Noel Connelly maybe think and say who did he manage, ah he was a great talker in the dressing room, pity he was cleaned in the 97 final, remember who managed a team on no hopers to an ulster title in the same year.

Today was bleak. Andy moran, alan freeman, and to a lesser extent ronan and ger cafferkey were ok, and then ..... I am a long time looking at Club football and good midfielders are not springing to mind.  It is easy to be critical after the event but Tom Cunniffe and BJ not playing serious foootball for a year and a half showed.

I feel johnno needs to step aside after this year, now not because of today but 4 years is more than the life expectancy of an intercounty manager, but our next appointment is critical.  We can all scream and shout tonight I am hurt and disappointed but Sligo desreve their day god knows I know about underdogs coming from Garry.

Thank God for the distraction of club championship next weekend and a trip to the hill in Garrymore and pray to the Lord that we can beat the townies

RedandGreenSniper

I'm not surprised with this result and I'm not sure how disappointed I am either. Would it have been better if we got lucky and kept living a lie with this team and management? Now everyone knows the story. John O'Mahony has to go. And some of his players need to follow. The whole set-up in the county needs a shake-up from top to bottom. We won't get that. Not unless clubs decide to take ownership of the situation. There'll be a battle for a new chairman in the winter. There is as good a chance as any to set down a marker for change.

Well done Sligo and all the Sligo lads here. While all the talk here is concentrating on a Mayo post-mortem, ye were excellent today in terms of character and intensty and skill. Truth be told, ye can play better and deserved to win by more. But ye out fought and out thought us and I do hope ye go on and beat Galway. Happy for Alan Cos too, a good lad who did very well today.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Found a pub in Brisbane showing the match, and had to watch it with 3 drunk Sligomen. Not an enjoyable night.
A pathetic display by Mayo - it's all been said, no desire, no gameplan (apart from hoof it in long), no bottle, no leadership.
Sligo were far and away the better team - the confidence not to panic after a bad start, the organisation, the gameplan, the non-stop effort and desire, and most of all, the belief.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mylestheslasher

Delighted for Sligo. I think people who blather on about Mayo not playing well are doing Sligo a disservice. The  team with the best players won this match and won it easy. Sligo should have won by 6 points. Mayo are a medicore team and have not the fight required. I expect Sligo to take Galway and Connaught now. Thankfully had a few bob on them at 3-1.

Geoff Tipps

An absolute shambles. Bar 3 or 4 at most they were a disgrace to the Mayo jersey. I've no problem with a Mayo team getting beaten but to surrender to timidly was hard to stomach. No direction from the sideline, no leadership on the pitch. It was the worst I've seen in a Cht. championship game in over 15 years. As posters have already said a quick death against a decent team in the qualifiers is the best we can hope for.
JOM has to go now. Changes should have been made at half time when it was clear we were going to get beaten. The subs that were introduced were too late to make any impact.
Walsh cleaned him in the tactical battle. Well I say tactical battle but that's assuming we even had a plan which is hard to believe. I'd love to know what the game plan was.

Probably too early now to say what changes should be made but for f*ck sake Jonno grow a pair of balls and make some big calls. Trevor was a v good footballer. He no longer is and it's an embarrassment that he's captain. If giving him the captaincy was a ploy to get back his form from 04-05 it's not working. Any manager worth his salt would have pulled him ashore after 20 mins. Parsons after his league final display should never have been on the pitch. Sauntering around like it was a training game on a Tuesday night in March. Not that McG was an awful lot better than him.

Dillon and Killer will come in for a start and then it's up to JOM to shake it up from there. Like most Mayo men I'm not hopeful

GalwayBayBoy

Will certainly be an experience for Galway to go into a Connacht semi-final as underdogs. An uphill battle now coming up against Kevin Walsh's men. Look a good unit.

ballinaman

Jesus...i don't know what to think. I don't think i'm even that disappointed, odd. From all reports, no excuses whatsoever. The auld lad used said "clueless" was the best way to describe the perfomance. Worrying times.

Barney

What can you say.

Whatever chance Mayo had the writing was on the wall when we saw the team the manager picked on Wednesday night. To lose playing well you can forgive a lot. To lose in such a pathetic style is unacceptable.

Seanie, Sligonian and Sligo lads here - congrats! Well deserved victory showing that there was a substance to the performances last Summer against Galway and Kerry which many of us probably doubted. The clinical way which your forwards put the game away was a credit to a proper game plan and approach which the manager has developed. Best of luck against Galway. The two best teams in Connacht will meet that day.

mannix

Was at the debacle yesterday. Clear that the players have no will to get stuck in, booming kicks all day long from clarke to midfield where they were getting cleaned, weak shots dropped in sligo keepers hands screamed lack of confidence, even though Sligo are a good enough team Mayo should have been better than them if the league wins are anything to go by. After the league final and this latest diaster something is wrong in the minds of a lot of the team. The fact that they looked so dead on their feet speaks volumes about the whole set up.
And to think we have the likes of macdonald sitting at home watching it while eamon o hara was bouncing around the place, are we that flush with talent?, several of yesterdays team are finished and that management team are definetly finished.
If JOM has any cutting about him he will step aside after the qualifiers and take those selectors with him, if not he should be pushed.Well done to Sligo.

Barney

As was said the whole League comparison thing is nonsensical.

Because of a few dire seasons Sligo couldn't conceivably be higher than Divison 3 this year!

They are actually a Division 2 team now but have comfortably won two promotions and that should not have been overlooked.

Mayo teams will always expect to beat Sligo. That is the history of the thing. And we have the players that are capable of doing that if properly managed.

But Sligo have done massive work over the past 20 years to turn the whole show around and they have been consistently one of the top 10 teams in the country for 10 years now.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Barney on June 06, 2010, 09:43:04 AM
And we have the players that are capable of doing that if properly managed.

Do you though?

As individuals Sligo some excellent players. They've a lot more than Eamon O'Hara now. As a unit they work well too. There's not too many poor players on the Sligo team. Mayo on the other hand after seeing yesterday...

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2010, 10:37:27 AM
Quote from: Barney on June 06, 2010, 09:43:04 AM
And we have the players that are capable of doing that if properly managed.

Do you though?

As individuals Sligo some excellent players. They've a lot more than Eamon O'Hara now. As a unit they work well too. There's not too many poor players on the Sligo team. Mayo on the other hand after seeing yesterday...

Granted Mayo had no gameplan. But a lot of those players are beyond rescue as well. Mayo need another 7 Alan Freeman's. Guys who aren't burdened by the past. And a new manager.

Still Kevin Walsh deserves some amount of credit. Sligo aren't getting any credit thus far it seems from the newsprint I've read. They said during the week they were going to win and they did it. No longer a minnow. Sligo are a serious football county now.

imtommygunn

Ai but Costello, Kelly, Breheny, the darkr haired midfielder whose name escapes me, Davey, O'Hara etc are all cracking players. I would dispute that Mayo have better players than those boys.

Chimley

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2010, 11:00:08 AM
Ai but Costello, Kelly, Breheny, the darkr haired midfielder whose name escapes me, Davey, O'Hara etc are all cracking players. I would dispute that Mayo have better players than those boys.

Mentioning Costello is interesting. This is a player who looked a cut above some of the Mayo lads yesterday however he was part of the Mayo setup for a few years and didn't show much during that time. That he looks twice the player since joining Sligo tells more about the relative setups than it does about Costello as a talent. I often get the impression that because Mayo have a conveyor belt of underage talent coming through each year it doesn't require a huge level of coaching ability to achieve a certain level of performance and therefore the inclination to replace players too quickly with the latest underage star is always there. Players like Costello get thrown a jersey by management and if they don't swim they are discarded. Counties with lesser resources tend to nurture their talent a bit better. There is no shortage of talented footballers in Mayo.