Mayo's John Forde RIP

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 19, 2010, 11:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Sad to hear today of the death of the right-corner back of the Mayo All-Ireland winning teams of 1950 and 1951, the great John Forde from Ardnaree.

John was 89 and died after a brief illness.

There's only five of that generation left now - Paddy Prendergast, Joe Staunton, Padraig Carney, Fr Peter Quinn and John McAndrew.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

moysider

John was one of our greats, no doubt. With Prendergast and Flanagan they remain the best Mayo back 3 individually and en bloc to this day. A full back line for the ages and as good as the game has seen anywhere. And Forde was considered by many, a better out and out defender than the other two. A former captain as well. John was captain in the 48 'big wind' final when Cavan won by a point under disputed circumstances. The game was blown up minutes before the hour and Mayo with a gale behind them. that Cavan team had some greats like John Joe and Mick Higgins.
  A very nice genuine man. He would have loved to have seen the recent Mayo teams get over the line.
As Sniper says, there's not many of them left now.
  RIP John.

Ar dheis Dé go rabh a anam dílís.

rosnarun

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 19, 2010, 11:50:10 PM
Sad to hear today of the death of the right-corner back of the Mayo All-Ireland winning teams of 1950 and 1951, the great John Forde from Ardnaree.

John was 89 and died after a brief illness.

There's only five of that generation left now - Paddy Prendergast, Joe Staunton, Padraig Carney, Fr Peter Quinn and John McAndrew.
Condolences  go out to his Family

Lets Just hope one of them survives to pass on the  baton

If Im not mistaken Dr Mickey Loftus was a sub on that  team Too
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

RedandGreenSniper

Dr Mickey could have been a sub. Willie Casey was. The reference I used is those who played in the final.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

wasn't having a go just trying to add to the historical perspective
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Another flame quenched.

RIP John.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FL/MAYO

RIP John Forde

Henry Dixon would be the only one I would have known from that team. He was some block of a man even when he was older. He kept his two medals with the pennies in his shop/bar in Claremorris. He got a bad beaten before he died when some savages broke into his house.

southsidejohnny

So sorry to hear of the death of John Forde. I remember the great Micheal O Hehir praising the mighty Johnny in the 1980s. They are all passing away now. The men of the 1960s as well with the loss of Mick Ruane. So sad to hear of the treatment to Henry "THe Horse" Dixon by some low-lifes that feed of the State and rob the elderly. Would'nt have attacked Henry when he was in his prime. I hope this generartion of Mayo's will keep the flame burning for us. The Fordes, Dixons, Mongeys etc played with pride and courage but backed away from none of them.

Beard

Sorry to hear of this news.

Would any Mayo people know (or know where you would be able to find out) who the subs where for Mayo in the 1951 final?

Thanks.

ballinaman

Sad to hear. Heard many a story of heroic games for Ardnaree and Mayo by John. RIP

moysider

Quote from: Beard on April 20, 2010, 11:26:30 PM

Would any Mayo people know (or know where you would be able to find out) who the subs where for Mayo in the 1951 final?

Thanks.

Willie Casey , Jimmy Currin, Paddy Jordan, Mick Loftus, Liam Hastings, Mick Mulderrig.

Foreverhopeful

RIP John
Great if Mayo could win a National title in his honour and indeed all the great men who have gone before them wearing the green and red.

Beard

Quote from: moysider on April 21, 2010, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: Beard on April 20, 2010, 11:26:30 PM

Thanks.

Willie Casey , Jimmy Currin, Paddy Jordan, Mick Loftus, Liam Hastings, Mick Mulderrig.

Thanks Moysider

mylestheslasher

Like when Mick Higgins passed away earlier in the year, it is sad to see men pass away who unite todays fans with an era where a county was at the very top. RIP John Forde.