The Battle for Fermanagh and South Tyrone

Started by Ulick, April 19, 2010, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

No one making any comment on McKinney's links with Connor via fermanagh.tv and the £90,000 services purchase conveniently broken into 9 separate packages to take it below the tender threshold?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on May 03, 2010, 04:19:10 PM
The leaflet that was given to me did not have one policy on it - and surely if someone is standing at your front door canvassing for votes is it not my perogative to ask them on a policy

Absolutely and you were completely right to. I'm only writing in response to Maguire who asked me to explain SF's economic policies here even though it was you who raised the issue. Maguire on the other hand I suspect is writing solely to sling mud. Again.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Gaffer

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2010, 02:15:33 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on May 03, 2010, 10:36:28 AM
Quote from: Mac Eoghain on May 03, 2010, 08:56:10 AM
I'm sure someone on here could enilighten me as to what Sinn Fein's tax and economic policies are? No harm to Michelle but if she was looking to attract 'undecided' voters around the Moy she could have done better than send the two gimps who landed at my door the other night - I asked the question as above and was met with a blank expression and told that every vote counts - maybe I was being too vague?

;D ;D ;D

Intelligent reply gaffer

I like an aul laugh every now and then !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

cusack og

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on May 03, 2010, 08:56:10 AM
I'm sure someone on here could enilighten me as to what Sinn Fein's tax and economic policies are? No harm to Michelle but if she was looking to attract 'undecided' voters around the Moy she could have done better than send the two gimps who landed at my door the other night - I asked the question as above and was met with a blank expression and told that every vote counts - maybe I was being too vague?

You'll tend to get that 'blank expression' with local campaigners who arrive at your door if you dare to ask a question which in anyway relates to real social/economic issues. The majority of these campaigners would have entered politics on the back of the political struggle and would still have a bit to learn regarding real policies. Dare I say, this would be more evident within Sinn Fein than in the SDLP. However, there seems to be real effort within parties to develop their youth wings (Ogra SF etc) and it's this young talent that SF will be confident can help them further shine at a local level as time goes on - ever so gradually replacing the older guard.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2010, 04:12:54 PM
Read a manifesto. Or is that too much like hard work? Easier to just come on here and sling mud?
Where did I sling mud? Someone has asked what one of the party's position is on tax and economics, no one has been able to answer him. Where's the mud?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 03, 2010, 06:10:41 PM
Read a manifesto. Or is that too much like hard work? Easier to just come on here and sling mud?
Where did I sling mud? Someone has asked what one of the party's position is on tax and economics, no one has been able to answer him. Where's the mud?

Oh you were just being helpful and considerate? Gud man ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Puckoon

Nally I think it is fair enough for Maguire to comment on a previous post outlining the ineptitude of people canvassing doors for political parties while having no notion about pertinent issues at hand - especially if Sinn Fein want to gather more electoral votes on the basis of the politics - not the sectarian headcount.

Ill admit he got both man and ball in the tackle - but you focusing on the wrong point that is being made. Usually you do argue your points and dont resort to the eye rolling smileys - so what do you think about SF sending people out to the doors who havnt a notion about the party stance on economical issues (which in this current climate is probably more important to the on the fence voter than making sure Bobby Sand's seat doesnt fall to a unionist candidate)?

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2010, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 03, 2010, 06:10:41 PM

Oh you were just being helpful and considerate? Gud man ::)
You might not like it if it's negative for your party, but that doesn't make it mud.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Puckoon on May 03, 2010, 08:47:50 PM
Nally I think it is fair enough for Maguire to comment on a previous post outlining the ineptitude of people canvassing doors for political parties while having no notion about pertinent issues at hand - especially if Sinn Fein want to gather more electoral votes on the basis of the politics - not the sectarian headcount.

Ill admit he got both man and ball in the tackle - but you focusing on the wrong point that is being made. Usually you do argue your points and dont resort to the eye rolling smileys - so what do you think about SF sending people out to the doors who havnt a notion about the party stance on economical issues (which in this current climate is probably more important to the on the fence voter than making sure Bobby Sand's seat doesnt fall to a unionist candidate)?

Well as you say, man and ball. I've already mentioned to Mac Eoghain, he was perfectly right to ask about the economy if that is a concern. And if the lads on the doorstep didn't know their stuff, it's foolish of them, that's what I think.

As you say, the economy is a central theme in this election. One thing it should probably be remembered is that most SF people on the doorstep, as Cusack Og already suggested, "would have entered politics on the back of the political struggle" and have joined SF on the basis of a burning passion for Irish Unity (which is, as I've been at pains to argue on this board many times) is NOT sectarian. The reality is that the newer breed (eg Ógra Shinn Fein or new SF members) must be prepared to answer questions on issues like the economy. I think it should also be noted that this is not an issue unique to Sinn Féin for the sake of slinging mud. I recently asked an SDLP member in omagh how the SDLP planned, in this time of recession and on the back of the Quinn crisis etc, to produce the 40,000 jobs the party spoke of and he too had an expression simlar to a man left behind on the moon. And this question was asked to him due to a similar fact refered to by Mac Eoghain in that the ONLY SDLP leaflet put through my door contained not only no mention of economic policies, but no policies whatsoever, (just a cheap dig at SF abstentionism).

Pangurban

You cant have an economic policy if you dont control the purse strings and are just left administer what is being doled out from the exchequer. This applies to all parties, though some like to pretend different. The only real economic policy, which is espoused by SF, is for all parties to unite and fight the budgetary cuts which are coming. This can best be achieved through the OMDFM, nothing will be achieved from the backbenches of Westminister, never has,never will

Gaffer

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2010, 10:10:27 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on May 03, 2010, 08:47:50 PM

Well as you say, man and ball. I've already mentioned to Mac Eoghain, he was perfectly right to ask about the economy if that is a concern. And if the lads on the doorstep didn't know their stuff, it's foolish of them, that's what I think.

As you say, the economy is a central theme in this election. One thing it should probably be remembered is that most SF people on the doorstep, as Cusack Og already suggested, "would have entered politics on the back of the political struggle" and have joined SF on the basis of a burning passion for Irish Unity (which is, as I've been at pains to argue on this board many times) is NOT sectarian. The reality is that the newer breed (eg Ógra Shinn Fein or new SF members) must be prepared to answer questions on issues like the economy. I think it should also be noted that this is not an issue unique to Sinn Féin for the sake of slinging mud. I recently asked an SDLP member in omagh how the SDLP planned, in this time of recession and on the back of the Quinn crisis etc, to produce the 40,000 jobs the party spoke of and he too had an expression simlar to a man left behind on the moon. And this question was asked to him due to a similar fact refered to by Mac Eoghain in that the ONLY SDLP leaflet put through my door contained not only no mention of economic policies, but no policies whatsoever, (just a cheap dig at SF abstentionism).

What questions, if any, did you ask Sin Fein about how they would deal with the recession and what was their reply?

Gaffer

Aoise

Quote from: Pangurban on May 03, 2010, 10:17:21 PM
You cant have an economic policy if you dont control the purse strings and are just left administer what is being doled out from the exchequer. This applies to all parties, though some like to pretend different. The only real economic policy, which is espoused by SF, is for all parties to unite and fight the budgetary cuts which are coming. This can best be achieved through the OMDFM, nothing will be achieved from the backbenches of Westminister, never has,never will

Correcto - contrary to what many believe here SF have stated their economic policy openly but more importantly IMO honestly.  They have stated that until fiscal powers are devolved then it is virtually impossible to make predictions on what the handout from the exchequor is going to be.  They have stated that corporation tax should be levied on an All island basis at 12.5%. I think their assumptions are correct in this matter.  Other parties have pulled figures out of the air for 40,000 new jobs however they have yet to put up a viable argument as to how this will happen when the inevitable cuts come in!  They're living in dreamland.  How can you have solid economic policies when you don't know the amount available - just not possible and so far I think SF have ben the only party to be honest on this issue!