The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, April 14, 2010, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Great finish but that was another case of a keeper going with the wrong hand.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Some strike much like Diego's goal v Greece in 1994  :o
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: Minder on June 27, 2010, 08:42:14 PM

Yea I don't quite get that and you see it all the time these days.
MWWSI 2017

Overthebar!

some finish alright.don't know what that clown commentator from bbc was talking about the goal being in the top corner. the ball went in about half way up the post! it is hard not to like argentina...

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2010, 08:43:11 PM

the keeper is only an inch taller than messi

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Overthebar! on June 27, 2010, 08:46:00 PM
some finish alright.don't know what that clown commentator from bbc was talking about the goal being in the top corner. the ball went in about half way up the post! it is hard not to like argentina...

Yeah I'm hoping argentina win it.

some strike by tevez
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2010, 08:43:11 PM

think about it, that (wrong) hand actually get further by the time you bring it around, you dive with the hand nearer the ball, but the action of bringing the other hand around increases your overall extension.

pintsofguinness

Why does the BBC commentator keep going on that the argentina defence is poor when he said earlier they've only conceded 4 goals in the last year. Am I missing something?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 27, 2010, 08:56:54 PM
Why does the BBC commentator keep going on that the argentina defence is poor when he said earlier they've only conceded 4 goals in the last year. Am I missing something?
not sure about that stat, they conceded 6 about this time last year to bolivia (at altitude), they also conceded 2 or 3 away to Ecuador (altitude too), they conceded at home to peru, conceded 3 at home to brazil (both games definitely within the last year).  Since the start of this year they've mainly played friendlies against Jamaica, Haiti, Canada etc.

Capt Pat

Mexico score at last, they have played well in general play but don't score as many goals as they should. They should have had 3 or 4 in the first half against South africa.

paco

Think they're exaggurating the whole situation about Messi not scoring. I'm sure he would love a goal, but Higuain and Tevez are the 2 strikers and it's their job to score (and they both have been in great goal scoring form), Messi's role is playmaker and he's been instrumental in most goals they've scored. He was quiet tonight but still managed to set up their first goal.

Milltown Row2

well the Argies keep on going, my bet still alive ;D

will they beat Germany? tough game but well within their capability. Argentina's defence is grand. stupid commentators jumping on the bandwagon with the same sound bite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bogball XV

We'll see milltown, i think both sides are a bit iffy at the back.  The argies could easily have conceded a few more there today, it'll be interesting against germany, who imo have played the best football of anyone in the tournament so far, i don't really think either side are good enough to win it though.

Olaf

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 27, 2010, 06:42:08 PM
Deadly Dinny!

All this talk about managers and tactics etc is a pile of balls. They've had numerous good managers, with Capello being one of the best coaches around, yet still continually underperform. The bottom line is the players in England don't have the talent and more importantly the balls or the mind for the big occasions. All well and good coasting through an easy qualification group but when the heat is on England will wilt and ultimately beat.

+1.

Watching Mexico tonight they also appear to have more technically able players than England. The English players don't have it in their heads eitehr in teh big tournaments

Main Street

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 27, 2010, 08:11:54 PM

Capello has a record that is second to very few, I don't think England could have a better coach, the english problem is that for whatever reason, they're not a team.  They have some decent individuals such as gerard and rooney, who are amongst the best in the world, a few too many who are nowhere near it though.
Points taken.
I'd compare their (Trap and Capello) record since taking over two dysfunctional teams. Trap saw what was needed and imposed a shape on the team even if it went against the grain and was mind numbingly negative for large portions of games that we should have been lording it. But we have seen the team grow into the shape and I believe they will play with a higher level of confidence in the next campaign.

Capello did not impose himself and his experience into the England game. Imo it is not just the players at his disposal but Capello as well, some of his selections were bizarre and he lacked a basic functioning system. So it could be a mix of, he did not see what had to be cured in the beginning and there is a dearth of midfield talent. There is no excuse for a top Italian coach like Capello for his team to play at such an abysmal standard. Even when Germany had a (relatively) poorish team at both WC2002 WC 2006, they managed to function with satisfaction. It is not part of Capello's duty to buy into the hype, it is his job to make a team function.