Started by Celt_Man, March 30, 2010, 02:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

CERN's Large Hadron Collider turned on, smashing particles properly

Live now on RTÉ.ie

http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ziggysego

I was following Prof. Brian Cox and CERN twittering about it this morning as they were doing it. Was exciting stuff. Don't have access to viewing it live at the moment, but looking forward to seeing it tonight.

Testing Accessibility

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Whatever about the historical nature of the events today, wouldn't mind getting a look at yer wan commentanting on it.  That accent...

Hereiam

To me this is the western worlds "weapon of mass distruction" We will look back on this day as been the beginning of the end of the world.

Hardy

Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2010, 03:40:46 PM

His "Wonders of the Solar System" show on Sunday nights on BBC 2 is excellent.

It's brilliant, but I wish he'd lose that smirk.

Puckoon

I bought one of these off ebay - its a great job for steamin the vegetables of an evening.

Hardy

gallsman

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2010, 03:46:22 PM

True.

It's rare I make sure I don't miss a documentary series but this has been one of them. Always been interested in astronomy and the cosmos, but have come across a load of stuff in this series that I'd never heard of or thought of before.

Celt_Man

Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2010, 03:53:56 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2010, 03:46:22 PM

True.

It's rare I make sure I don't miss a documentary series but this has been one of them. Always been interested in astronomy and the cosmos, but have come across a load of stuff in this series that I'd never heard of or thought of before.

wasn't he on Jonathan Ross last week??

muppet

Quote from: Hereiam on March 30, 2010, 03:23:06 PM
To me this is the western worlds "weapon of mass distruction" We will look back on this day as been the beginning of the end of the world.

Either that or they learn how to contain antimatter, use it as fuel for the Enterprise and we all sign up to explore the final front-ear.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Quote from: ziggysego on March 30, 2010, 02:56:44 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on March 30, 2010, 02:49:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1W5D8kc6gA&feature=related

He did play keyboards?

Nice try, but it IS the same guy  :P[/size]

Prof Bian Cox was the keyboard player.  Got his A levels and tried his hand music but then the music died.

From Wikipedia

He also had some fame in the early 1990s as keyboard player in the UK pop band D:Ream. He is married to TV personality Gia Milinovich, and has a son and a stepson.[4]

In 1989 Cox was a member of the rock band Dare[5] fronted by former Thin Lizzy member Darren Wharton.

After attending Hulme Grammar School in Oldham he studied physics at the University of Manchester where in 1993, while still studying, he joined D:Ream,[6] who had several hits in the UK charts, including a number one hit, "Things Can Only Get Better",[7] later used as a New Labour election anthem.

A year after D:Ream disbanded in 1997, Cox was awarded his PhD degree in high energy particle physics at the University of Manchester, based on his thesis drawn from work he did for the H1 experiment at the particle accelerator HERA at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg.[8] This followed his earlier undergraduate first class honours degree in physics from the same University.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 30, 2010, 04:21:07 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 30, 2010, 02:56:44 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on March 30, 2010, 02:49:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1W5D8kc6gA&feature=related

He did play keyboards?

Nice try, but it IS the same guy  :P[/size]

Prof Bian Cox was the keyboard player.  Got his A levels and tried his hand music but then the music died.

From Wikipedia

He also had some fame in the early 1990s as keyboard player in the UK pop band D:Ream. He is married to TV personality Gia Milinovich, and has a son and a stepson.[4]

In 1989 Cox was a member of the rock band Dare[5] fronted by former Thin Lizzy member Darren Wharton.

After attending Hulme Grammar School in Oldham he studied physics at the University of Manchester where in 1993, while still studying, he joined D:Ream,[6] who had several hits in the UK charts, including a number one hit, "Things Can Only Get Better",[7] later used as a New Labour election anthem.

A year after D:Ream disbanded in 1997, Cox was awarded his PhD degree in high energy particle physics at the University of Manchester, based on his thesis drawn from work he did for the H1 experiment at the particle accelerator HERA at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg.[8] This followed his earlier undergraduate first class honours degree in physics from the same University.

Particle Accelerator? He might be able to get Sam home!!  :o
Testing Accessibility