An Dún v An Mhí______Páirc an Iúir, 7:00, Dé Sathairn, 13, Feabhra

Started by thejuice, February 09, 2010, 07:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: bridgegael on February 14, 2010, 04:48:34 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 14, 2010, 03:51:52 PM
Was at the game last night and it was a very poor game of football. I wasn't impressed at all with Down at all and 12 points was a poor return against a fairly average Meath side. Colgan was probably the best player on the field but I was expecting more from Down they badly need Gordon back at midfield

why were you expecting more from them??

Because i had heard several Down people talking up their forwards as the best in Ulster.

passedit

Quote from: yellowcard on February 14, 2010, 04:51:44 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on February 14, 2010, 04:48:34 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 14, 2010, 03:51:52 PM
Was at the game last night and it was a very poor game of football. I wasn't impressed at all with Down at all and 12 points was a poor return against a fairly average Meath side. Colgan was probably the best player on the field but I was expecting more from Down they badly need Gordon back at midfield
why were you expecting more from them??
Because i had heard several Down people talking up their forwards as the best in Ulster.

I very much doubt you went to that match to see the best forwards in Ulster, much less that you were dissappointed with what you saw.

What you saw was a work in progress which is showing some encouraging signs, not least that the players seem to have copped on that a defensive system is required if Down are to compete with the second tier teams in the country.

Also fact that Down should have beaten last year's all ireland semi finallists by more could be taken by some as encouraging also. Anyways two more points and we're safe.
Don't Panic

southdown

I havent been at any of the games (working away), can you explain the new defensive system?

Encouraging start.

bikeflyer30

I like it when DOWN is written off it meanies the other counties are running scared as for the whole Dan Gorden thing he`s not playing so someone else get`s a start and were still winning, 2 from 2 bring on Armagh :o)

passedit

Quote from: southdown on February 15, 2010, 02:18:36 PM
I havent been at any of the games (working away), can you explain the new defensive system?

Encouraging start.

Basically, Colgan is dropping back as a shield for the full back line with Maginn and hughes augmenting the half back line and carrying the ball out of defence. Added to this they're tackling in numbers all over the pitch. Lined out as follows v Meath.

2    3    4
12  7  5  10
8  9
11 15
13 14
Don't Panic

Aaron Boone

At least there isn't a "Who Can Stop Down Thread" yet.
Down into 40/1 with Paddy Power for the AI, were 66/1 before the big Kildare game.