Capello's Captain.

Started by stew, February 05, 2010, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should have gotten the Engerland Captaincy?

Rio Ferdinand
2 (14.3%)
Stevie G
4 (28.6%)
Frank the Tank Lampard.
3 (21.4%)
Wayne Rooney
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

stew

I would probably have given the nod to Stevie G, failing him Frank Lampard. The last one i would have taken was Rio Ferdinand as i doubt he will play much to begin with.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: stew on February 05, 2010, 08:03:38 PM
I would probably have given the nod to Stevie G, failing him Frank Lampard. The last one i would have taken was Rio Ferdinand as i doubt he will play much to begin with.

that was the first thing that came to my head too. sure he is finished at premiership level never mind internationals

Stevie G was the man. And im neither a utd or pool man so no bias there.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

stew

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 05, 2010, 08:18:33 PM
Quote from: stew on February 05, 2010, 08:03:38 PM

that was the first thing that came to my head too. sure he is finished at premiership level never mind internationals

Stevie G was the man. And im neither a utd or pool man so no bias there.

I was a united fan and have no time for Liverpool but I still voted for Stevie G, Rooney is maybe one for the future as far as the captaincy goes but I am surprised he went with Rio, didnt he say he was only interested in taking fully fit players? Rio is on the downside of his career and is prone to some brutal mental lapses in games, I wouldnt start him on that England team, I wouldnt even start him on the United team given recent form.

longrunsthefox

I'm surprised people here care about who gets the England captaincy. Hopefully whoever gets it won't be lifting the World Cup.   

Minder

Now that JT is out of the picture it's hard to know, probably should have been between Lamps, Wazza and Stevie G.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

red hander

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 05, 2010, 08:26:33 PM
I'm surprised people here care about who gets the England captaincy. Hopefully whoever gets it won't be lifting the World Cup.   

Ditto

stew

Quote from: red hander on February 05, 2010, 09:07:49 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 05, 2010, 08:26:33 PM

Ditto

You dont have to care to have a discussion, I dont care who they give it to, it is just a topic of discussion.

AZOffaly

Depends on the criteria? Was Terry sacked for shagging a team mates missus, or was he sacked because the papers got a hold of it. I doubt if the players in the England set up were too bothered, and it would have blown over. Bridge and Terry are not the first pair of team mates or friends to be in that situation, and they won't be the last.

So, if we take it that Terry as a captain on the field and in the dressing room is a good leader, as he seems to be, what is the criteria for selecting a successor if his sin was too great?

It doesn't seem to be past form, as I'd consider Ferdinand's behaviour in Cyprus as more out of order than Terry's. Ferdinand was borderline illegal, depending on whether the girls knew about it or not. Terry's was just stupidity.

Hoof Hearted

not many people give a f**k about peter robinson or his wife, but it didnt stop over 100 pages of DISCUSSION on it. thats all this is too. Personally i dont give a fcuk about england either, and hope they get stuffed every game they play.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AZOffaly

To be honest, to me, it's the angle of media driving the agenda that I find interesting. I've been in lots of dressing rooms, and many people didn't like each other at various times, or had rows over things like this. The dressing room was always tense around the people in question until they made their peace with each other. However, the rest just got on with it. And if a lad was totally unacceptable to the group as a whole, he'd be gone.

I can't believe that the England squad as a whole would allow the fact that John Terry was parking in the wrong space influence their opinion of him as a captain or a leader. It's his role on the field that matter to players. If that is not the case, then he should be gone off the squad, because whether he wears the armband or not, he'll be causing strife throughout the squad.

I think Capello is trying to be clever here, and making Terry a sacrificial lamb to the media. And that's what I find interesting. As I've said it can't be because his new captain is any better in terms of 'scandal' type stories in his own past.

Minder

I don't buy the whole "outrage" from the Enhland team, the only outrage is that they didn't get there first. If those fellas thought Terry gave them a better chance of winning a World Cup and all the trappings that go with it they would overlook anything. Sport at that level is only about winning

AZOffaly

Is there any indication or quote from any England player that says they are outraged at Terry's behaviour? They might think he was being a fool, or an dick, but that would last about 2 days in their minds I'd bet.

If there is genuine outrage, then he needs to be kicked out of the squad.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2010, 10:07:21 PM
Is there any indication or quote from any England player that says they are outraged at Terry's behaviour? They might think he was being a fool, or an dick, but that would last about 2 days in their minds I'd bet.

If there is genuine outrage, then he needs to be kicked out of the squad.

Just the usual "sources" saying "several players" are upset by his behaviour.

AZOffaly

i.e. Bollox.

I genuinely don't care about the specific case here either way, whoever is captain of England is fairly far down my list of priorities at this stage of my life :D

I do find the idea of the England manager throwing his captain to the wolves of the scummy red top media fairly interesting though.