iPod Touch

Started by winsamsoon, January 22, 2010, 11:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Lads got the iPod touch as a christmas present and it is lethal. Only downfall is i cannot access the internet unless i am within range of an unlocked  wi-fi. This is grand when the owners of wi-fi have their system unlocked. Are there any packages out there that i can subscribe to that would give me an internet package anytime on the touch? If so what are they and how do they work?

I know sky do one where you can watch the football and subscribe to sky sports but again you need to be within an unlocked wi-fi range
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

viiv

As far as I know you can only get the internet when ure in wifi rangre. dont think but correct me if im wrong that any programs/apps would allow you to access it anywhere.

Galwaybhoy

I got my girlfirend an iPod Touch for Christmas and the lad in the shop told me you have to be in a  wi-fi area to go on the internet.  I thought like some mobile phones that maybe you could get some internet package that would allow you online where ever you maybe but he said this is not possible.  I find this the worst thing about the iPod touch.

thebigfella

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 22, 2010, 11:47:39 AM
I got my girlfirend an iPod Touch for Christmas and the lad in the shop told me you have to be in a  wi-fi area to go on the internet.  I thought like some mobile phones that maybe you could get some internet package that would allow you online where ever you maybe but he said this is not possible.  I find this the worst thing about the iPod touch.

You bought an IPod touch and your main gripe it's not an IPhone  ::)

Denn Forever

Visit your local library.  They usually have wifi that you could hook into.  They have it so students can look up Wikipedia.

Do big hotels not have wifi for their customers?  Again so all the reps staying can email their orders.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

imtommygunn

Bigfella has hit the nail on the head...

You only have wifi capability here and you can only get wifi when you have the access to it so you're kind of snookered unless you buy an iphone!

nrico2006

Is there not some internet providers that enables you to go online through the ipod touch no matter where you are?  Only thing is that you will be charged.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 22, 2010, 01:31:43 PM
Is there not some internet providers that enables you to go online through the ipod touch no matter where you are?  Only thing is that you will be charged.

No, you can subscribe to services, like the cloud in London, which allows you to access the internet IF you are in range of one of their hot spots.

BennyHarp

I've had an Ipod touch for a while now and cant seem to get wi-fi access even when in a hote or somewherel with free wi-fi - for some reason it wont connect!!
That was never a square ball!!

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: thebigfella on January 22, 2010, 11:52:48 AM

Thats not what I said it all.  But the fact it has applications for Youtube etc on it it would be great if you could use them when ever you want instead of having to look for areas with wi-fi.  Same for downloading songs.  God forbid I make a suggestion.  ::)

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

thebigfella

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 22, 2010, 01:43:57 PM

Thats not what I said it all.  But the fact it has applications for Youtube etc on it it would be great if you could use them when ever you want instead of having to look for areas with wi-fi.  Same for downloading songs.  God forbid I make a suggestion.  ::)

So how do you propose access you tube or downloading songs with out a connection to the internet? The only other option would be to use a cellular network, making it an Iphone (whether or not you use it for calls, as essentially the OS on the touch and Iphone is identical. As the touch has no 3g chip in it, they disable the phone functionality) or you could run an extra long cable from your house  ;)

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: thebigfella on January 22, 2010, 01:52:53 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 22, 2010, 01:43:57 PM

So how do you propose access you tube or downloading songs with out a connection to the internet? The only other option would be to use a cellular network, making it an Iphone (whether or not you use it for calls, as essentially the OS on the touch and Iphone is identical. As the touch has no 3g chip in it, they disable the phone functionality) or you could run an extra long cable from your house  ;)

OK I see your point now.  I'm not very technical when it comes to these things, but I get ya.

mc_grens

There's an App in the App store called Dessid.

It will give you the password to any locked Eircom wifi network. If you're not in Ireland I'm sure there's a UK version out there.

balladmaker

QuoteThere's an App in the App store called Dessid.

It will give you the password to any locked Eircom wifi network.

Would that not be sort of illegal, it's locked for a reason?