What Does This Tech.Jargon Mean

Started by Pangurban, January 18, 2010, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

While trying to establish a wireless connection between Desktop and Laptop computer, i enter the WEP code and am met with the following message
                                   Network Password need to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 asci characters or 10 or 26 hexidecimal characters.
Can anyone advise

ONeill

Have you tried passing the thing over and under a donkey three times?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Pangurban

Posted this in wrong section, but dont know how to move it to general discussion

Pangurban

Hardstation are you deluded enough to believe you are funny. If you have nothing sensible or relevant to say, why waste your time commenting

blanketattack

Quote from: Pangurban on January 18, 2010, 12:09:54 AM
While trying to establish a wireless connection between Desktop and Laptop computer, i enter the WEP code and am met with the following message
                                   Network Password need to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 asci characters or 10 or 26 hexidecimal characters.
Can anyone advise

Sounds like you've an old PC/laptop and are trying to connect to a wireless network using WPA or WPA2 protocol. The old protocol is WEP which shouldn't be eased as it's quite easy to break.
Is it XP you're using? Do a windows update and update the drivers for your wireless card on your PC/laptop.
When you do a search for available wireless networks it should list each one as either WEP or WPA so you can do this to verify that the issue you encountered is related to WPA (or WPA2).

As for what it means, ascii characters are all the upper and lowercase letters along with digits and various punctuation and other characters e.g. .,;:(*&%£[+  (there are 256 in total i.e. 2^8 = 1 byte)
So it's saying to type a password with either 5 or 13 of these or if you include digits, make sure it's 10 or 26 characters long.
This isn't what the problem is about though.

Pangurban

Many thanks Blanketattack, though i have now resolved the problem, the wireless card in the Laptop was malfunctioning