National League Live - Kerry V Mayo

Started by Cloc Mor, February 04, 2007, 02:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

I'd agree there bomber. I think individually Mayo have some very handy forwards but they need to get a proper system in place, there was alot of aimless running and soloing into trouble yesterday. Which Mortimer are you referring to? probably fair to say both were guilty of it yesterday. On another note, I'd love to know why Conor never takes a man on and goes around him. He nearly always had his marker for pace yesterday, was constanly out in front but when he turned him and the chance was there to "do him" he always held back and ran back into trouble, maybe its a strength thing, but dare I say it I think the wee fella needs a bit more confidence in that part of his game, as he never seems to have the conviction at county level to take on a man and really skin him. If he did, he would create alot more goal chances

Tubberman

Happy enough with yesterday's performance.
Thought Kilcullen cleaned Quirke completely. But it must be said Quirke was awful - he couldn't jump off the ground, and Kilcullen broke everything, and there was always a Mayo players there to pick up the break. Kilcullen will play FB again on Sunday I hope, hopefully he can keep up the good form.
BJP did well at CHB as well - overall I thought the defense were very good, and were rarely under serious pressure.
Brady did well at midfield, a pity McGarrity was injured, himself and Brady will make a very strong pairing.
I agree about the forwards - there were some good balls put in and by and large the Mayo men were out in front to take the ball, but seemed to be stuck then. There didn't seem to be much of a plan for the forwards. This is something that JOM noticed I'm sure and will be working on.
Great to see Austin playing well again. Conor Mort was poor I thought. He needs to bulk up. He made a few runs across the pitch with the ball, but very little ground made in reality.
I thought Trevor played well. He does have a tendency to over carry the ball, but I didn't think he did it more often than usual yesterday.
Next Sunday against Donegal will be very difficult I think. They'd be doing extremely well to come back with 2 points.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Kerry Mike

No complaints about the result, Mayo deserved it and killed off the game well with the Goal.

Happy enough with some of our performances considering it was the first game together since Sept, the Mayo lads had the benifit of a few FBD games and that does help and they did seem to be a bit fitter and fresher than the Kerry lads who have little or no hard training done yet.

Was impressed with Darragh O'Se's contribution and for a man who has only returned to the panel he will improve as the games go on. He got involved in too much of the niggly off the aball stuff in the second half and given that the referee was flashing the cards so much he was lucky to stay on just after being booked, the camera caught him off the ball letting the shoulder into someone.

Also Tommy Griffin did well when he came on so i think he will return to midfield for the game with the langers next week.

The backs played resonable well , Killian Young held Mortimer to one free but did get caught once when he turned over the ball and it led directly to a Mayo score, but the step up to intercounty level will do him good. Aidan O'Mahony was stuck in most things and he has the opportunity of nailing down the no 6 shirt now.

Tomas O'Se seemed well up for it until he went off after a reckless challenge. Brendan Guiney saw alot of the ball in the first half but seems to lack the penetration to burst through tackles.

The forwards were poor enough, Paddy Kelly did not contribute much, Paul Galvin is missed in that role. Gooch never really sprung into life, Brosnan was very quite and only for Bryan Sheenan excellent free taking we would have been well out of the game. Donnacha Walsh was all action when he came on but i think he just looks too awkward, Sean O'Sullivan tried hard but could not leave his mark. Quill has some good chances but fluffed a few when he came on.

Quirke has had his chance, I think he lacks mobility, and is not a natural footballer. It looks like Donaghy will be back to Full forward next week.

As for the red card on Donaghy it was his third foul so he could have no complaints and even though it looked fairly tame he did pull the Mayo player back by the Jersey, but then there here heavier challanges that went unpunished. But if thats the refereeing standard for the year we will all have to get used to playing with 13 or 14 players.

Overall we scored 11 points and will build on the result. Looking forward to the rest of the league , there are some big games coming up, Cork, Dublin and Tyrone, and Donegal will all provide a big challenge in the weeks ahead. And remember we lost the first game last year to Mayo and look where the season took us  ;)

Well done again Mayo
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

rosnarun

why referees can never win
QuoteThe biggest thing about this match was the ref, what a disgrace. AOM was blatently pushed in the back while thru on goal, should have been a penalty, again o'malley went for high ball was pulled by the FB and somehow got booked??
CM's shorts were pulled down whilst he was shooting?
Everybody was booked, for what? Donaghy was sent off for nothing, as with TM
so was he too leinient or to  harsh?
if some one commits a personal foul ther should get a yellow card and it should help cut out the kind of cynical fouling that cost Mortimer and omalley goals , should they have dived? they almost def would have got penalties if they had but then wed be just as cynical. over all the referee was too lienient with the card and the big point should be will Donaghy be reprted for abusive behaviour after he was sent off , i wont hold me breath.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

I think donaghy had every right to feel agrieved, he was sent off for very little IMO.
The ref was neither leinent or harsh & didn't favour either team he was just bad
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Redgreenery

Victorious Mayo football boss John O'Mahony says a balance needs to be struck by referees with regard to the handing out of yellow and red cards.

O'Mahony was speaking after his side's NFL win over Kerry and on a day when a flurry of yellow and red cards were handed out.

"With this zero tolerance we had to be very careful," the Mayo mentor explained of the match in Castlebar.

"This day last year there were a number of melees around the country and they wanted to stamp that out, but it's about getting the balance right.

"Everyone is working hard - us to get our tackling right and the GAA to get the refereeing right."

rosnarun

I feel another white wash coming on every year theref start out reffing the games as the rules lay down then the managers players ect start the whinging and it all goes back to where it started again untill there another major row and blood and guts on the pitch and the ref gets blamed again.and the cycle restarts
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere