Really Depressing Films

Started by Orior, December 10, 2009, 08:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2009, 11:25:05 PM
Didn't realise how depressing Castaway was til I watched it for the 11th time. Serious downer. Poor Wilson.

Did Wilson get a "Best Supporting Actor" grammy?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

midLouth

Quote from: lurganblue on December 10, 2009, 09:17:35 PM
Saw this pile of tripe before too. f**k it's brutal alright... I feel sorry for anyone who had to sit though it in the cinema.

Just sat through serious man, such shit. Half ppl in watching left early.

longrunsthefox

I wouldn't say it was depressing but for weepyville, Shanandoh got me every time. Made in 1965 with James Stewart playing the man raising his family and his wife Martha has died. Then the Civil War comes and the family gets dragged into it. Yer man doug McClure is in it. James Stewart spends a lot of the film talking to his wife's headstone..."It's going to be a cold winter Marta" and the empty chair at the dinner table. Anyway plenty of heart ache and the last scene when the youngest cub comes hobbling up the church on a crutch  :'(   (Watched it a few times with me late Pops and brothers in my youth)

whiskeysteve

Quote from: ludermor on December 10, 2009, 11:04:49 PM
A Gaaboarder was advised by his flatmate to watch Hard Candy with his woman. Its about a young girl who traps a paedophile , drugs him, tortures him mentally and physically then makes him commit sucide. Its a nice coming of age drama!

Ha! a fukiing ridiculous film. the whole castration sequence especially

The Mist has a ridiculously dark ending. offset by how ridiculous it is though

Hands down number 1 depressing movie for me though: MILLION DOLLAR BABY. A really, really good movie I dont want to watch again.

I heard Requiem For A Dream is notoriously bleak though... anyone seen it (and regretted it)?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ross4life

Green mile great film but quite Depressing
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mountainboii

Grave of the Fireflies is the most depressing I've seen by some distance.

Canalman

The Garage is imo a really disturbing movie. Massively depressing also.

It may be Vanilla Sky (I may be wrong) but there is a scene in it where a young boy is on tv dying for a p*ss...... seriously squirming stuff.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Canalman on December 11, 2009, 09:11:22 AM
The Garage is imo a really disturbing movie. Massively depressing also.

It may be Vanilla Sky (I may be wrong) but there is a scene in it where a young boy is on tv dying for a p*ss...... seriously squirming stuff.

I think that's Magnolia you're thinking of Canalman.

Most depressing film I have seen would have to be 'The house of Sand and Fog'. Anybody see this? I think all the main characters commit suicide at the end of the film if I remember correctly.

redhugh

Quote from: ONeill on December 10, 2009, 11:25:05 PM
Didn't realise how depressing Castaway was til I watched it for the 11th time. Serious downer. Poor Wilson.

Fcuk Wilson - he got what he deserved the slabber.

Master Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

achadh gallain

Song for a raggy boy

a good film - but so depressing :(

nifan

"Requiem fo a Dream" is really depressing.
"Kids" is as well.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

On Film 4 last night - "Deathwatch", pretty depressing, bar the plot line a good representation of how shit the trenches must have been in WW1!
Tbc....

longrunsthefox

Quote from: achadh gallain on December 11, 2009, 09:42:17 AM
Song for a raggy boy

a good film - but so depressing :(

Magdalene Sisters too when the babies were taken off the young girls especially.