Westmeath Vs Laois

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 02, 2007, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

From Hoganstand...

Two new faces for Westmeath

The Westmeath team to play Laois in the National Football League Division 1B match in Cusack Park, Mullingar on Sunday, February 4th has two newcomers at this level.

18 year old Mullingar Shamrocks clubman, Kieran Gavin starts at Left Full Back while Alan Rigney, who captained Tyrrellspass to their county Senior title last year plays at Right Half Back. Fergal Wilson returns to the team after a self-imposed, through exam commitments, absence.

Ruled out through injury are David O'Shaughnessy, James Davitt, Gary Dolan, John Keane and John Connellan.

The team is: Gary Connaughton (Tubberclair), Francis Boyle (Killucan), Michael Ennis (Ballinagore), Kieran Gavin (Mullingar Shamrocks), Alan Rigney (Tyrrellspass), Donal O'Donoghue (Mullingar Shamrocks), Derek Heavin (Castledaly), David Duffy (Shandonagh), Paul Bannon (Athlone), Fergal Wilson (Tubberclair), Alan Mangan (St. Malachys), John Smyth (The Downs), Dessie Dolan (Capt) (Garrycastle), Paddy Martin (Ballymore), Denis Glennon (Tyrrellspass)

Young enough team, will be up against it if Laois produce a performance like they did last Sun. Good to see Boyle back but where is Flan and what's the story with Healy this year??? The two new lads will have to do a hell of a lot better than they did against Dublin, Keane is a big loss. Have to be winning our home games if we want to get into Division 1 next year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Heshs Umpire

Laois (SF v Westmeath): F Byron; C Ryan, D Rooney, P O'Leary; T Kelly, K Fitzpatrick, B McCormack; P Clancy, B Quigley; D Murphy, P Lawlor, G Kavanagh; R Munnelly, B McDonald, C Parkinson.

Probably the best team available to Kearns at this time. We're still without Fennelly, Higgins, McMahon, Barry Brennan, Garvan and Conway. Donie Brennan has been dropped off the panel but it's kinda open ended for him and others to reappear.
I'm not sorry ye're missing Keane, he's a right good player. I think Peter O'Leary and David "Squirty" Murphy are league debutants for us although both played championship last summer.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

AN other

I'd imagine Healy is just taking his time getting back into the swing of things... God knows why Flanagan isn't included, possibly thrown his toys out of the pram again. Not exactly building for the future by including Paddy Martin and John Smyth in teams either...Fearful of a comprehensive defeat...

AN other

Pleasantly surprised by Westmeath's performance yesterday, a nice start to the league. There was a good sense of urgency in our play. Flanagan turned in a good performance in midfield, not found wanting. I just hope he can consistently perform like this for the season, keep the head down and steer clear of injuries. If he does, midfield may be the place to play him, he offers a bit of mobility around there and is capable of winning ball as was evident yesterday.
Good to see Wilson showing some form also, he was a very decent player in and around 2000 and not at his best in 2004 when last seen in the maroon. His display yesterday was more like the ones he produced around 2000.
Mangan was also decent in the first half, and Dolan is playing well. As well as the contribution that Dolan makes to the scoreboard and attack in general, the amount of work he does when Westmeath don't have the ball is immense, constantly putting the opposition defence under pressure, and often found running around back in the half back line.
Watching Glennon is getting a little frustrating however, apart from his point in the dying minutes, important and all as it was, he contributed little else. He seems to have developed into a confidence player, where if he starts well and gets involved early on he plays well, but if he's a little out of it or starts badly he's ineffective for most of the rest of the game.
Apart from Connaughton's misplaced kick out the defence was solid with O'donoghue playing well, Francis O'Boyle was definitely find of the year last year and he looked good again yesterday.

Iarmhí Abú

I was very pleased and a little surprised at the result yesterday.  I actually felt that Laois had a lot more momentum than us before the game and thought we were facing a defeat.  However the lads were up to the job.  Flan was great before he ran out of steam and it was great to see Willo in good form.  If he could ever approach the form he showed while he was about 20 or 21 he would be some player.  Dessie was Dessie.  Great to see Healy back as well. 
I still think that getting into Div 1 next year is beyond us.  I feel that to get into Div 2 will be the limit of our aspirations as in recent times I was contemplating the spectre of Div 3 football.  This result gives us a chance now.

Can anyone tell me why Flan was not named on the original team??

Bud Wiser

We were missing Donie Brennan  ;D

Also, John Crofton was right, let Laois and the Dubs run themselves into the ground chasing after the Christy Brown Cup while Kildare beat Armagh, Tyrone beat the Dubs and Westmeath beat Laois.  Is Crofton beginning to emulate the special one and become the Jose of Kildare?

Croí na hÉireann

I think most Westmeath people were "very pleased and a little surprised at the result yesterday". Destroyed Laois in the first half and should have been out the gate at halftime, softest goal ever conceeded in Cusack Park.  ::) Good to see a bit of fire in the bellies. Two new lads where not shown up like against Dublin and while they didn't stand out they gave a competant performance. Donal O'D was indeed the finest defender on display. Flan and Clancy had some tussle in midfield, they probably cancelled each other out as well as everyone else who dared set foot in there... Dessie and Willo lorded it up front with Budda playing well in the first half. Poor enough second and will have to be a lot more consistent in future. Smyth is not inter-county material and Tormey needs to bulk up a bit more. Think Paidi got the best out of Glennon in 2004 and will be surprised if we see consistancy like that from him again.

I think a top 4 place is certainly not beyond us but we need to win all our home games. Derry next weekend is a step up again after they beat Galway in their own backyard. No idea why Flan wasn't named on the team but I'd never name him if he's gonna perform like that every time...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...