New look for all Hurlers in 2010.

Started by GAA_Punter, October 29, 2009, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Canalman on October 30, 2009, 09:53:51 AM
Well flagged for a long time in the hurling fraternity. Have a faceguard on my old Cooper's helmet and looks like it will not be acceptable. If it saves one eye I'm all for it.

Jesus I hate attitudes like this. You would nearly think the people who don't wear helmets have been forced to do so or are unaware of risk?

A hurler in his thirties who has never played with a helmet let alone with a faceguard will have a seriously tough time getting used to this. It's tough enough questioning your ability to keep going through the physical training as your body gets older but to  be faced with this rule at the same time will no doubt retire a high percentage of older hurlers who simply can't adjust.

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on November 02, 2009, 09:25:14 AM
Lads not wearing helmets has always been a bugbear of mine. Lads that get a clip that would barely have gone unnoticed if they were wearing a helmet, automatically becomes a major issue in a referee's eyes because blood might be drawn.

A greater bugbear surely bt7 is the lads wearing a helmet getting the "slightest" tap on the head with the stick and falling like a sack of spuds. Whats that all about? Pat Mulcachy yesterday should have got the line for instance yesterday for his premiership dive. I can't abide that behaviour

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

nrico2006

Didn't the Cork sub keeper wear a helmet and faceguard a year or two back.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bottlethrower7

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 02, 2009, 11:44:57 AM

yep - Anthony Nash. Wears an open-face helmet (no faceguard).

INDIANA

Quote from: theskull1 on November 02, 2009, 09:46:28 AM
Quote from: Canalman on October 30, 2009, 09:53:51 AM
Well flagged for a long time in the hurling fraternity. Have a faceguard on my old Cooper's helmet and looks like it will not be acceptable. If it saves one eye I'm all for it.

Jesus I hate attitudes like this. You would nearly think the people who don't wear helmets have been forced to do so or are unaware of risk?

A hurler in his thirties who has never played with a helmet let alone with a faceguard will have a seriously tough time getting used to this. It's tough enough questioning your ability to keep going through the physical training as your body gets older but to  be faced with this rule at the same time will no doubt retire a high percentage of older hurlers who simply can't adjust.

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on November 02, 2009, 09:25:14 AM
Lads not wearing helmets has always been a bugbear of mine. Lads that get a clip that would barely have gone unnoticed if they were wearing a helmet, automatically becomes a major issue in a referee's eyes because blood might be drawn.

A greater bugbear surely bt7 is the lads wearing a helmet getting the "slightest" tap on the head with the stick and falling like a sack of spuds. Whats that all about? Pat Mulcachy yesterday should have got the line for instance yesterday for his premiership dive. I can't abide that behaviour

anyone bar keepers who don't wear a helmet is bananas. even then i think they should.incident there in a junior hurling match last year in dublin where a 17 year old keeper with no helmet got a belt on the head and almost died from a bloodclot on the brain.

nrico2006

I thought Nash wore a hemet with a guard, well he did the last time I watched him.  I never understood how anybody didn't at least wear a helmet without a guard, it doesn't affect vision or performance. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maiden1

I don't get why people are saying everyone but the keeper should wear a helmet,surely the keeper is at least as likely as any outfield player to get hit on the head with the ball or a stick?

I haven't played hurling for a long time but at school we had to where a helmet with bars on the front and after the first 5 minutes running around you would completely forget that you have a helmet on.

I'm surprised any person would be able to get insurance these days playing hurling without a helmet on.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on November 02, 2009, 12:37:00 PM
anyone bar keepers who don't wear a helmet is bananas. even then i think they should.incident there in a junior hurling match last year in dublin where a 17 year old keeper with no helmet got a belt on the head and almost died from a bloodclot on the brain.

that was scary, and from such an innocuous, seemingly nothing blow as well. We played them (O'Dwyers) this year, before I'd heard about what had happened. Then I saw yer man on that Road to Croker programme talking about how he nearly died.

I do think this a fairly exceptional circumstance, but agree entirely that a helmet would have prevented it happening at all.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 02, 2009, 11:44:57 AM

I stand corrected. You're right, he wears a red mycro with faceguard.

good keeper too - he was great in the fitzgibbon and I'd imagine is the heir apparent if Donal Og decides to call it a day.

Canalman

Agree Maiden1. Would think that there is many a hurler hitting the ball alleys and hurling walls this Autumn/Winter with the new helmet trying to get the "eye in". In our club we have between the 2 teams one lad who didn't wear a helmet and I know that he is slowly weaning himself into wearing one by wearing it in training and cup games. The rest of us wear visors as a result mainly of having been burst open in the past (like me)or because they are young enough to have been obliged to wear them underage.

This time next year it will be all ok. Imo, if a lad over 30 REALLY wants to hurl next year then he will wear the visor.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Maiden1 on November 02, 2009, 01:20:20 PM
I don't get why people are saying everyone but the keeper should wear a helmet,surely the keeper is at least as likely as any outfield player to get hit on the head with the ball or a stick?

no, they're less likely to get hit (with the stick anyway). The difference with the keeper is that you don't have players behind you so you can typically see everything thats happening. Plus a keeper's general involvement in a game often doesn't involve physical contact with other players (especially if the backs are doing their job right).

Just think, when is the last time you saw a keeper split? Its rare it happens. I recall Cummins getting split one year against Galway when he saved a ball with his head (very brave too), but you'd have to wrack the brains to find another example.

I played in goal for a while too and never got hit (other than the odd tip here and there).

But, not to say it couldn't happen. I'd have a little more sympathy with keepers is all I'm saying - they should be allowed the open-face helmet as a compromise. That way they're protected as much as anyone else from head injuries and they can't really complain about vision impairment by a faceguard.

Personally I could never wear one of those things. If I played outfield I would, but could never really get used to it. Not in goals though.

AZOffaly

I wonder could you rig up a helmet with the Visors that some American Football and Hockey lads wear? Instead of the bars I mean? That might be less invasive to the field of vision...

Armagh CĂșchulainns

All in favour of the new rule.

From my refereeing perspective it makes for fairer competition where high swinging/tackling is concerned where the no-helmet players feel they deserve a free if they get a crack on the head even if the ball is played fairly as opposed to the helmetted players who are supposed to take it with no free.
Its all about the Hurling.

theskull1

Taking that argument to it's logical conclusion AC

All players should wear shin & hand guards as well I take it.

You boys must be talking about a hurling at a very low standard. I've watched Div 1 in Antrim fo years and I'd need to go back 15 years before I can remember the last time anyone has got anything other than a few stitches. I'd say poor technique brings about 95% of head wounds and that most of them would be got in the lower leagues.

This is a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution IMO
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

having played hurling for too many years to remember, i never wore a helmet, I've had a right few wacks, cuts above the lip one on the head and a couple above the eyes. 

not once afterwards did i look to put on a helmet. I've played (still do) in all divisions, div 1 down to div 4. as skull says its down to poor technique and reckless tackles. I'm all for the new law coming in, but in a few more years when the older ones pack it in

Bud Wiser

The spec of the helmet that is required should be published and companies who are interested in design and manufacture should be invited to get involved.   There should be at least two different suppliers accepted otherwise this is a money racket.

I am not saying that helmets are not needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dizXHy-DAgA&NR=1
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"