Breaking Bad

Started by DennistheMenace, October 28, 2009, 11:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

started watching breaking bad about 10 days ago. just finished season 2 last nite. great show!

J70

Quote from: clarshack on January 13, 2014, 11:27:29 AM
started watching breaking bad about 10 days ago. just finished season 2 last nite. great show!

Final season is probably the greatest series of tv episodes I've ever seen. And Giancarlo Esposito is really something amazing to look forward to in seasons 3 & 4.

southdown

I personally thought the back end of season 4 was the best.  Gustavo was one hell of a character.

johnneycool

Are TG4 showing Breaking bad now or did they always show it?

thewobbler

Quote from: southdown on January 13, 2014, 12:21:15 PM
I personally thought the back end of season 4 was the best.  Gustavo was one hell of a character.

I agree.

Breaking Bad, for me, was not about main characters - for to a man Walt, Jesse, Hank, Skyler and Marie were all pretty horrible and shallow  creatures. It was the second level of characters who brought depth and quality to the show.

Frings and Mike stole every scene they were in, Saul was outstanding, the whole Salamanca clan were brilliant, Skinny Pete and Badger added comic value, while Lance from Friday Night Lights played his role very well.

I didn't enjoy series 5 as much as 3 and 4, simply because there was too much Walt, too much Jesse.

Dinny Breen

Not sure I agree Jessie and Hank were shallow, in fact I thought Hank was a man of great integrity pretty much black and white, wrong or right.
#newbridgeornowhere

tyrone girl

I have just finished season 1 last night. Whilst i am enjoying it i dont know if its the addictive viewing everyone makes it out to be.
Though i suppose its early enough days.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: tyrone girl on January 14, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
I have just finished season 1 last night. Whilst i am enjoying it i dont know if its the addictive viewing everyone makes it out to be.
Though i suppose its early enough days.
it does take a while to get into it and get to grips with all the characters.
Its certainly does get better and more addictive!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyrone girl

That seems to be the general consensus that its a slow enough build up in first couple of series.
I would say i am enjoying it though and looking forward to tonight to watch more.

southdown

Season 1 is grim, trust me it gets better

Canalman

Finished S6 a couple of weeks ago.  Like alot of posters here thought the ending was a bit limp as most of the big "issues" ( I am trying not to spoil things ) had already been sorted out before the end. Most of the ahem "interesting "characters were not involved towards the end.

My sixpenceworth is that BB while very good is not worthy of the ott raving that is going on. It had imo by far 2 of the most annoying characters ever seen on TV which sucked alot of the good out of the series anytime they were on the screen. Important characters maybe, annoying yes.

Still definitely worth seeing.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Canalman on January 28, 2014, 04:43:48 PM
Finished S6 a couple of weeks ago.  Like alot of posters here thought the ending was a bit limp as most of the big "issues" ( I am trying not to spoil things ) had already been sorted out before the end. Most of the ahem "interesting "characters were not involved towards the end.

My sixpenceworth is that BB while very good is not worthy of the ott raving that is going on. It had imo by far 2 of the most annoying characters ever seen on TV which sucked alot of the good out of the series anytime they were on the screen. Important characters maybe, annoying yes.

In defence of WW and Jesse - this may have already been posted - a genuine letter sent to Brian Cranston from Anthony Hopkins
Some praise from a highly respected actor:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2013/10/anthony-hopkins-breaking-bad-fan-letter

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. [Ed note: There are in fact five seasons of Breaking Bad; this might have been wishful thinking.] (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Jell 0 Biafra

Which 2?

Canalman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 28, 2014, 05:19:12 PM

Which 2?

Don't want to be unintentionally spoiling show for anyone so won't name them ..............  close family members of one of the two main characters.