Traditional Irish Food

Started by Lecale2, October 20, 2009, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 22, 2009, 12:03:22 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on October 21, 2009, 11:23:47 PM
Love a big plate of mince and spuds
Always a winner in this house too. The wife still insists on mixing hers up like a child.

+1.

Gabriel_Hurl

didn't bother with the mince and spuds (hate waiting on the spuds steaming) - went with that famous Irish dish of perogies with fried bacon and onions

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2009, 02:02:23 AM
didn't bother with the mince and spuds (hate waiting on the spuds steaming) - went with that famous Irish dish of perogies with fried bacon and onions

What the feck is perogies? Love fired bacon and onions so could be onto a winner here

ziggysego

Halloween next weekend.

Potato Pudding!!!  ;D
Testing Accessibility

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2009, 12:09:17 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 22, 2009, 12:03:22 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on October 21, 2009, 11:23:47 PM
Love a big plate of mince and spuds
Always a winner in this house too. The wife still insists on mixing hers up like a child.

As well she should

It's the only way, get it all mixed up, drop the knife, hold onto the plate with your left hand and slap it into ye! ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: moysider on October 22, 2009, 12:43:06 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 21, 2009, 09:23:58 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on October 20, 2009, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 20, 2009, 10:20:32 PM
goody
boxty
cally

Proper Irish food

Deadly!!

Also: Bacon, turnips and spuds
Bacon and cabbage...and spuds
Mackerel cooked on the tongs with a feed of spuds and a raw onion
Gorra bui (beastings from a cow boiled up)
Cally with spring onions cut up (Ya know the summer is on the way when ya have this!)

I'm almost afraid to ask what beastings are, is it the afterbirth?

Fresh soda bread and wheaten bread still moist, not that shite served up by Ormeau, just off the griddle with melted butter and a dollup of jam. Used to get it most days after coming home from school.

Beastings/Colostrum is the milk that a cow produces after giving birth. It is yellow and thick and curds when heated. Full of antibodies and unless a newborn calf gets a good feed of it he s in trouble because his immune system is poor without it. It takes a few days before a cow produces the white milk you can put in your tay. As for the afterbirth, the cow usually eats that herself if let. But many farmers wont allow them to do that because it does nt look right a herbivore eating meat, and choke can happen as well. It s badly needed protein for her and it cleans up the mess that would attract predators when these animals were wild. Never came across anybody that actually eat beastings or the afterbirth/cleanings. Mind you I would nt knock it. In hard times protein was protein, end off. Delicacies like snail  and frog were famine food that became delicacies.

Right so, many's a calf had the feeding bag with the colostrum rammed down its gullet to get the stuff into it.

how would you cook it for human consumption?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: gawa316 on October 22, 2009, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2009, 02:02:23 AM

What the feck is perogies? Love fired bacon and onions so could be onto a winner here

Perogies are a delightful little dough dumpling stuffed with potatoes and cheese. They'd be Polish / Eastern European in nature

tbrick18

Quote from: ziggysego on October 20, 2009, 11:00:16 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 20, 2009, 10:09:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 20, 2009, 10:06:21 PM
Jesus not another of these threads. Usually started by some hungry hoor.

What was the top ten on Ultimate Ulster then? No doubt it was the 6 county fry?

From what I remember

(nothern) Irish Stew
Champ
the fry
Chinese curry
Italian food
sea food
Steak (#1)

forget the rest.

Since when was Chinese curry and Italian food.. traditiona irish food?

True story...I was once in Chicago for work and some of the people I was working with insisted on taking us out to an authentic Irish bar in some suburb or another for food. The bar was called Peggy Kinanes (or Piggy Kinyans if you were a russian taxi driver) and was actually very nice and owned by an ex-pat from Kilkenny. On the menu they had a Full Irish, Irish Stew, Cod and Chips...all the usual suspects. But right at the end of the menu they had "Curry Chips....a traditional Irish favorite". I got speaking to the owner and said to him about the Curry Chips and he says..."sure everybody eats curry chips on the way home from the pub".
Couldn't argue with that.

tbrick18

Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 11:39:56 PM
goody
boxty
cally

Proper Irish food

Deadly!!

Cally with spring onions cut up (Ya know the summer is on the way when ya have this!)

And of course beef and Guinness pie :) This Aussie wan was asking me the other day did we eat beef and Guinness pie all the time in Ireland so I told her the truth....the recipe died out with the last Leprachaun!

My God. Giorra BuĂ­. Seriously. I heard of people eating beastings/colostrum fried or boiled but assumed it was poverty food and not from choice. Have you eaten the stuff? At least it would prevent you from getting white scour for a while. The rest of the stuff is great fare.

:D  :D
I cant believe anybody would eat that.....

Doogie Browser

Have a craving for a big feed of spuds and mince after reading this thread  :P

ziggysego

Quote from: Doogie Browser on October 22, 2009, 01:16:32 PM
Have a craving for a big feed of spuds and mince after reading this thread  :P

You're not the only one.
Testing Accessibility

laceer

Mince and spuds mixed up with a load of pepper and about half a bottle of brown sauce on, washed down with a pint of milk. nom nom

EC Unique

Quote from: moysider on October 22, 2009, 12:43:06 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 21, 2009, 09:23:58 AM
goody
boxty
cally

Proper Irish food

Deadly!!

I'm almost afraid to ask what beastings are, is it the afterbirth?

Fresh soda bread and wheaten bread still moist, not that shite served up by Ormeau, just off the griddle with melted butter and a dollup of jam. Used to get it most days after coming home from school.

Beastings/Colostrum is the milk that a cow produces after giving birth. It is yellow and thick and curds when heated. Full of antibodies and unless a newborn calf gets a good feed of it he s in trouble because his immune system is poor without it. It takes a few days before a cow produces the white milk you can put in your tay. As for the afterbirth, the cow usually eats that herself if let. But many farmers wont allow them to do that because it does nt look right a herbivore eating meat, and choke can happen as well. It s badly needed protein for her and it cleans up the mess that would attract predators when these animals were wild. Never came across anybody that actually eat beastings or the afterbirth/cleanings. Mind you I would nt knock it. In hard times protein was protein, end off. Delicacies like snail  and frog were famine food that became delicacies.

That is disgusting :-X

Yes I Would

Yous are whettin the appetite lads..
Nothin like a good plate of boiled spuds, on a cold winters evenin, covered in streaky bacon, and fried cabbage, drippin with grease, washed down with a naggin of whiskey, Yum Yum..

comethekingdom

Puckoon has said it all there. - Streaky Bacon, Boil her up for a wee while - then fire in the cabbage towards the end. The only spud is the Golden Wonder. Steam them for best results as they are usually so floury that if you try to boil them they'll go into shite. Then when all is served fire on the Chef brown sauce and wash all down with a big pint of ice cold milk. Yum Yum.
P.S. - Knew a boy who ate a piece of a cow's clearing once for a dare!!