Traditional Irish Food

Started by Lecale2, October 20, 2009, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: windyshepardhenderson on October 20, 2009, 11:13:23 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 20, 2009, 11:00:16 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 20, 2009, 10:09:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 20, 2009, 10:06:21 PM
Jesus not another of these threads. Usually started by some hungry hoor.

What was the top ten on Ultimate Ulster then? No doubt it was the 6 county fry?

From what I remember

(nothern) Irish Stew
Champ
the fry
Chinese curry
Italian food
sea food
Steak (#1)

forget the rest.

Since when was Chinese curry and Italian food.. traditiona irish food?
bearing in mind this is coming from people who think ulster is a country

Who?
Testing Accessibility

moysider

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 20, 2009, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 20, 2009, 10:20:32 PM
goody
boxty
cally

Proper Irish food

Deadly!!

Also: Bacon, turnips and spuds
Bacon and cabbage...and spuds
Mackerel cooked on the tongs with a feed of spuds and a raw onion
Gorra bui (beastings from a cow boiled up)
Cally with spring onions cut up (Ya know the summer is on the way when ya have this!)

And of course beef and Guinness pie :) This Aussie wan was asking me the other day did we eat beef and Guinness pie all the time in Ireland so I told her the truth....the recipe died out with the last Leprachaun!

My God. Giorra Buí. Seriously. I heard of people eating beastings/colostrum fried or boiled but assumed it was poverty food and not from choice. Have you eaten the stuff? At least it would prevent you from getting white scour for a while. The rest of the stuff is great fare.

magpie seanie

Bacon and cabbage with the cabbage boiled in the pot with the bacon. Serve with loads of floury spuds. Use butter and/or the cabbage water for extra moisture. I always eat at least two plates of it. Can't get enough.

Bod Mor

Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 11:39:56 PM

My God. Giorra Buí. Seriously. I heard of people eating beastings/colostrum fried or boiled but assumed it was poverty food and not from choice. Have you eaten the stuff? At least it would prevent you from getting white scour for a while. The rest of the stuff is great fare.

Have I eaten the stuff??? I was reared on the stuff, talk about putting hairs on your chest! There's nothing better after a day horsin hay-bales around than a feed of Gorra bui. If only I had a pot of it now!! The yella scour is one of the side affects but sure what can ya do :)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

rosnarun

of course its poverty food. but then again its a while since we dwelt in taras halls .
who wouldnt prefer a cut of prime steak every  day and a suckling pig but necessity is the mother of invention and most delicacies are byproduct of an necessary imagination ya dont think Ceuubeeens wer anyones first choice after the pig was killed?
My aunt told me when they were young they used to eat lambs tails as a treat thrown in the fire( my mother was far too posh for that)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 20, 2009, 11:44:19 PM
Bacon and cabbage with the cabbage boiled in the pot with the bacon. Serve with loads of floury spuds. Use butter and/or the cabbage water for extra moisture. I always eat at least two plates of it. Can't get enough.

Is there another way to prepare it?

fitzroyalty

lol you's culchies are all the same

"ooh cabbage oooh turnips "

turnips and cabbage is bogging
:D

rosnarun

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 20, 2009, 11:44:19 PM
some funny people them onsist on fying the cabbage . i think thast is what you call over egging the Pudding.

never heard it called Giorra Buí but the old lad used to boil it with nettles.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mournerambler

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 20, 2009, 11:52:57 PM

I suppose your a fan of venison with chilli & chocolate sauce or some yuppie stuff like it fitz ;D

moysider

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 20, 2009, 11:44:27 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 11:39:56 PM

Have I eaten the stuff??? I was reared on the stuff, talk about putting hairs on your chest! There's nothing better after a day horsin hay-bales around than a feed of Gorra bui. If only I had a pot of it now!! The yella scour is one of the side affects but sure what can ya do :)

Dunno Bod. There little enough beastings around when the hay is being saved. Thats late for cows calving. I ve been familiar with it all my life and never saw a human eat the stuff. Cats that drink it die cause they cant digest it and dogs dont care for it either. Heard old people talk of making an omelette with it but they were in hard times and they fucked it away after.

redhugh

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 20, 2009, 11:52:57 PM

Naw the're not - maybe your ma's a s**te cook.

Tony Baloney

Youse eat some shite in Mayo.

ludermor

Another one for Bod Mor id say,
Carregeen Moss, boiled so it turns to jelly and and taken to ward off the ravages of the winter.

Bod Mor

Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2009, 12:00:34 AM
Dunno Bod. There little enough beastings around when the hay is being saved. Thats late for cows calving.

Ah the hay is saved fairly late down our way, try and coincide with the cows calving and bringing home the turf. The rest of the year is left for talking about football :)
Quote from: ludermor on October 21, 2009, 12:33:39 AM
Carregeen Moss, boiled so it turns to jelly and and taken to ward off the ravages of the winter.

How did I leave out the carrageen moss!! Love the stuff, It's handy for the winter surely. Many a time I was nearly killed collecting the stuff!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

moysider

Quote from: ludermor on October 21, 2009, 12:33:39 AM

There s stuff I have eaten. Boiled in milk and it turns gelatinous. It s a sea-weed.  Not hectic taste but I m sure its full of good stuff.