Ultimate Ulster

Started by milltown row, October 02, 2009, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Sure we might as well feck in a few extras from Cavan-Mick Higgins (triple All Ireland medalist), Shane Connaughton/Tom Mcintyre-playright/novelist, Nevin Maguire, Sean Lynch (British and Irish Lions early 1970's). Know a few diesel launderers from Monaghan but probably not appropriate on a public forum.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Aerlik

Quote from: stpauls on October 03, 2009, 12:19:35 AM
you missed 2, Dr. Pantridge, inventor of the de-fibrillator, and Harry Ferguson, inventor of the Massey-Ferguson.

Not quite.  He invented the 3-point linkage system not the traaaakturr

So we Irish invented the de-fibrillator?  Quite appropriate considering the diet!

No mention of Charles Bayly Franklin, designer of the Indian Chief, Scout and Prince Motorcycles.  That's probably because he went abroad to Dublin, Ireland before moving to America in 1916.

And what about Barry McGuigan? Or yer man Getty from just outside Moneydig near Garvagh, appropriately enough called Gettystown, ancestor of the oil dynasty in the USA?

Or Charles Thompson, yer man who penned the Declaration of Independence.  Oops, wouldn't do...he would be classed as a terrorist nowadays.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

lurganblue

That list of towns shows me that I was correct in not watching this tripe. Black holes...

And I won't even mention George ffs they can't top naming an airport after that tube anyway

Minder

Quote from: lurganblue on October 04, 2009, 11:42:51 AM
That list of towns shows me that I was correct in not watching this tripe. Black holes...

And I won't even mention George ffs they can't top naming an airport after that tube anyway

Cushendun and Rostrevor are not, Ballintoy would be mixed I think. Maybe the prods keep a tidier town. There was a time in the '90's you would have been kneecapped for dropping a sweet wrapper in Broughshane.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

haveaharp

Quote from: anglocelt39 on October 04, 2009, 10:02:44 AM
Sure we might as well feck in a few extras from Cavan-Mick Higgins (triple All Ireland medalist), Shane Connaughton/Tom Mcintyre-playright/novelist, Nevin Maguire, Sean Lynch (British and Irish Lions early 1970's). Know a few diesel launderers from Monaghan but probably not appropriate on a public forum.

As a member of the gardai i will be wanting to know more.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

1. Fadge - it's potato bread, ate all over the country.
2. Champ - hardly an "ulster" invention.
3. Veda - Jamicia Ginger Cake.
4. Soda farls (especially my mummy's) - not a big fan, dry as fcuk.
5. Brown lemonade - see Red lemonade.
6. Tayto - I'll give you that one.
7. Glucoplus  :D :D :D (lots of fun and flavour, Glucoplus, do yourself a favour Glucoplus) - Wtf, never heard of it?
8. Eels - think the Cockneys have this one covered.
9. Black pudding - Again is this not nationwide, and do the Brits not also produce it?
10. wheaten farls all washed down with Namosa tea.  Lussssssssssssssssh! - See 4.

How anyone can call Bushmills as a great wee place is indicative of the audience participation.  It's a pure shite hole.

Aerlik I agree with your last point but the rest is debatable to say the least.  ;)
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Also if Liam Neeson is on that list, surely Daniel O'Donnell deserves inclusion, he has done/produced more and been more successful then any other Ulsterman (in entertainment) of the last 2 decades, you may not like him, but his achievements are undeniable.
Tbc....

SuperMac

Quote from: ONeill on October 02, 2009, 08:50:45 PM
My top 10 NI Celeb Influences:

Hugo Duncan
Jimmy Cricket
Malachi Cush
Ulysses-Grant
Pamela Ballentine
Lynda Bryans
Alan McDonald
Darren Clarke
Dennis Taylor
and
Shanliss Slippy
What the hell is Ulysses-Grant inculded for ? According to wiki " Born    April 27, 1822(1822-04-27)Point Pleasant, Ohio.......The son of an Appalachian Ohio tanner, Grant entered the United States Military Academy at age 17. " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_S._Grant

SuperMac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 04, 2009, 09:32:36 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 03, 2009, 11:54:27 PM
Well Bernard trumps anyone else from Donegal. Patrick Kavanagh or the Clones Cyclone from Monaghan. Anyone of note from Cavan?

Catherina McKiernan is from Cavan
Shay Given or Packie Bonner from Donegal
Mushrooms from Monaghan
Monaghan has more than just mushrooms, Barry McGuigan ?

muppet

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 05, 2009, 10:10:56 AM
Also if Liam Neeson is on that list, surely Daniel O'Donnell deserves inclusion, he has done/produced more and been more successful then any other Ulsterman (in entertainment) of the last 2 decades, you may not like him, but his achievements are undeniable.

Enya has probably outsold any Irish act other than U2.

She has sold around 70 million albums which is more than the likes of Kylie & Iron Maiden (bet you never saw those two in the same sentence before).
MWWSI 2017

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2009, 01:11:06 PM

She has sold around 70 million albums which is more than the likes of Kylie & Iron Maiden (bet you never saw those two in the same sentence before).

Correct, and there is somnething about her being the biggest selling musican not to have preformed live, actually while we're at it Rory Gallagher should be on that list.
Tbc....

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 05, 2009, 01:35:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2009, 01:11:06 PM

Correct, and there is somnething about her being the biggest selling musican not to have preformed live, actually while we're at it Rory Gallagher should be on that list.
Don't forget Goats don't Shave also GDA, their famous song is the most played wedding song ever - in weddings in the Mt Errigal Hotel

Aerlik

1. Fadge - it's potato bread, ate all over the country -only the decent stuff is made in OLLSTORR
2. Champ - hardly an "ulster" invention.- SEE 1
3. Veda - Jamicia Ginger Cake. - NEVER GOT IT OUTSIDE OLLSTORR
4. Soda farls (especially my mummy's) - not a big fan, dry as fcuk.- NO COMMENT
5. Brown lemonade - see Red lemonade. C&C'S IS BROWN FFS
6. Tayto - I'll give you that one. 
7. Glucoplus  :D :D :D (lots of fun and flavour, Glucoplus, do yourself a favour Glucoplus) - Wtf, never heard of it?- 1980-2 OLLSTORR EQUIVALENT TO LUCOZADE, SPONSORED 6 COS TEAM TOO
8. Eels - think the Cockneys have this one covered- BANN EELS, FRIED WITH BUTTER, SALT AND SCALLIONS, BLISS.  KEPT THE BANN VALLEY RELATIVELY FED DURING THE 1845-49 GENOCIDE
9. Black pudding - Again is this not nationwide, and do the Brits not also produce it?- TSSK-COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL
10. wheaten farls all washed down with Namosa tea.  Lussssssssssssssssh! - STILL LUSSSSSSH

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

armaghniac

It is impossible to underestimate the influence of songwriters like Jimmy Kennedy, whose songs are sung throughout the land. The singing prowess of Brian Coll and the Mediterranean rock talents of Jimmy McShane. And if Ulyssess S. Grant can be included can Cavan not have the famous Philip Henry Sheridan, burner of the Shenandoah Valley. John Charles McQuade was a foremost figure in the spiritual world. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Tonights riveting episode counted down the top ten "pastimes" in "Ulster".
For a start I dont how in the nama jaysus a skitter from Burren from called Frank McClorey is on spoutin about this shite. I know you're lookin in here Frank...Sean Murdock would be turnin in his grave...Ulster this Ulster that...catch a grip Frank for Fcuk sake....Tommy McGovern would give you some kick in the hole if he caught ye.

Number 1 was was "walkin"....fcuckin "walkin"....no 3 was soccer....fishing was there...rallying was there too...where was the biggest spectator (and maybe participant) sport in Ireland (inc the 6 counties). For fcuk sake "SHOPPING was there....Hang your head in shame Frankie.

Major rant over....annoyed the fcuk outta me. :-\
The Aristocrat Years