Robbie O'Malley (Meath)
Colm O'Rourke (Meath)
Peter Canavan (Tyrone)
Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 30, 2009, 09:07:09 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 30, 2009, 09:01:06 PM
SS2 - McGuigan shades Blaney in my book because he knew (knows) where the posts are. His performance in the 2005 AI final was the best I ever saw.

No offence to McGuigan, but he isnt good enough to clean Blaneys boots.

He cleaned Ciaran McGeeney... pure class. Blaney was excellent too but I'd take Brian's contribution before he got those injuries. Although to come back from them and contribute so much to last 10 minute of beating kerry last year was awesome. 

Zulu

Quote from: botman on September 30, 2009, 01:46:45 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 30, 2009, 01:45:02 PM
went for Moynihan, great solid player

You scare me.

Not as much as you scare me if you think Moynihan isn't worth a mention. As others have said these things always favour forwards, not least because it is far easier to recall some of their outstanding exploits than it it is to recall the day a great defender completely blotted out a top class forward. But Moynihan was a top class footballer in any position from 2 to 9 and few if any of teh other players on that list could claim something like that. Is he the best on that list? I don't know and it's only a bit of craic really but he certainly deserves far more recognition than he has got around here so far.

Radioulster

As a Tyrone man I would'nt go so far as to say mcguigan would'nt clean Blaneys boots but I would agree that imo Blaney was the better CF he was a class act as is Mcguigan but Blaney for me

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 30, 2009, 08:59:04 PM

Peter Canavan was 23 by the time he won his first championship match. When Cooper was 23 he had won three All Stars and three All Irelands. Liam will magnify Cooper's run of four poor-to-mediocre games in the middle of Championships 2006 and 2009, without any mention of Canavan's five-year anonymity from 1997 to 2001.

Ah come on, that's a ridiculous comparison if it's to enhance an argument. It's like saying the Kerry sub goalie was much better than say Stephen Cluxton simply beacuse he was part of a 4-5 All-Ireland winning squad. Tyrone 90-94 were tripe. Kerry in the 00s were overflowing with class acts. Cooper had the stage to play on. Could Cooper have done with Tyrone in '95 what Peter did? And '96? Fergal Logan ffs. 

As for Canavan 1997 - he was still hobbling badly after Meath and still managed to play against Down, Armagh and Derry that year.
1998 - Broken Jaw - played major part in winning the International Rules later on (25 pts in 2 games).
1999 - Canavan was actually back to his brilliant best that year and only for a defensive collapse against Down in the semis he might have added to his All-Star tally
2000 - Injured - played half a game
2001 - Played well. Won Ulster title. Sent off in first half in All-Ireland quarter final.

So anonymity it definitely wasn't. Injury and a middlin side meant he wasn't getting the exposure Cooper did in the decade we're in.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 30, 2009, 03:14:37 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 30, 2009, 03:05:20 PM
Maybe the wee man needed those flaws in order to save his remaining teeth.

You'll have to do better than that Shane. Whilst it is beyond dispute that Canavan was the victim of gross thuggery during the early part of career and whilst there is much validity in "the looking after yourself" argument

Thanks for wholeheartedly agreeing with me.

tyrone86

Did Canavan even play a half in 2000? Eoin Gormley was the main man and got 7 of the 8 points v Armagh IIRC.

ONeill

I thought he came on at the start of the second half but not sure.

tyrone86

I'm not actually sure, I remember McGuigan came on at the start of the 2nd half and was off almost as quick after a clash with one of the McNulty's. Hub and Stevie made their championship debuts as well that day as subs - I honestly don't remember Canavan being involved

ONeill

tyrone86

Quote from: ONeill on September 30, 2009, 10:51:34 PM
Didn't Art's son line out that day?

Aye, that's possibly why I've blanked out Canavan.

Edit: Mea Culpa, Canavan came on for Damien Gormley that day

rrhf

Please fill in the blanks and let the stats answer our questions instead of trying to see sense the pseudo anti tyrone raving of master bollocks ss2:
All irelands: 2 each
National League medals: Canavan 2; Fitz:
All stars:
Player of the year awards:
International rules appearances:
Career length:
Points / goals scored in chamnpionship:   

loughshore lad

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 09:17:38 PM
SS2 - McGuigan shades Blaney in my book because he knew (knows) where the posts are. His performance in the 2005 AI final was the best I ever saw.

He cleaned Ciaran McGeeney... pure class. Blaney was excellent too but I'd take Brian's contribution before he got those injuries. Although to come back from them and contribute so much to last 10 minute of beating kerry last year was awesome.

Cleaned McGeeny twice in high profile championship games, both the AI final of 2003 (when he shouldnt even have been anywhere near a pitch as he had flu) and drawn ulster final of 2005, as well as giving as near a complete all round performance as you are ever likely to see in an AI final against Kerry in 2005 when being picked up by Seamus Moynihan so to say he couldnt clean the likes of Blaneys boots is laughable in my opinion.  Not disputing Blaney was a class act but so was McGuigan.

Master Yoda

Maurice Fitz without a doubt the best player.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Master Yoda

Wise up lad. Brian McGuigan is one of the best centre half forwards ever.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Foreverhopeful

Cannot for the life of me believe how the greatest footballer in the country has been left off.....
Tomas O Se - an absolute legend of a footballer. Consistently he has been the best without a shadow of a doubt. Disgrace that he left out