Trevor Giles (Meath)
Martin O'Connell (Meath)
Robbie O'Malley (Meath)
Colm O'Rourke (Meath)
Peter Canavan (Tyrone)
Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)

Cúig huaire

Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

botman

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 30, 2009, 12:17:32 PM
No Greg Blaney ???

Would people please shut the f**k up about Greg Blaney. He wasn't that good FFS.
Keep them at it.

Cúig huaire

Best Down player of his generation, one of the best Down players ever.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

saffron sam2

Quote from: bcarrier on September 30, 2009, 12:13:35 PM
Players from the 1984-86 three in a row Kerry team not getting enough recognition - practically no votes for these ...it seems that individuals who have stood out in relatively poor teams in       mid - late 90s (ie Canavan & M Fitz) are getting the highest votes. Canavan has couple of influential cameos in noughties but was a shadow of the 95 PTG at that time. I wouldnt dispute their brillance and both had relatively long careers which peaked in the middle of the period under consideration but for sustained excellence throughout 20 of these 25 years because I'm from Down, I have opted for Mickey Linden. Darragh O Se would have been my next choice.

Fixed that for you. Sustained excellence throughout 20 of those years my arse.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

botman

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 30, 2009, 12:21:42 PM

Better than Linden?
Keep them at it.

the Deel Rover

i don't know does wee marty mc hugh deserve to be on the list as some of the lads said here donnellan should be definately on it
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

saffron sam2

botman

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 30, 2009, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: botman on September 30, 2009, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 30, 2009, 12:21:42 PM

Better than Linden?

Yes.

Do you know that he wore his socks up? Do you know that he had a mop top in the 90s? Do you realise that you have overrated him something shocking?

Keep them at it.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 30, 2009, 12:04:11 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 30, 2009, 11:52:39 AM
For a purist like myself, Fitzgerald is out in front of Canavan. Granted that Canavan was a superb talent, but to me he has always been a bit of a flawed genius.

There is the patchy disciplinary record, the rumours of broken jaws, the 5 year hiatus from'97 to '01 where he may have cost Tyrone at least one All-Ireland, the inability to consistently get the better of Kieran McKeever (a man who is nowhere near the top 25 list according to TG4) and the nagging suspicion that the GAA hierarchy contrived to hand him his first Celtic cross in '03.

No such suspicions with the tanned Cahirciveen man.

He gets my vote.

What? How do you make this out?
was wondering that myself

also about canavans 'hiatus', most of it was inforced through injury.If there is a doubt about maurice fitz, its that he didnt acheive enough over a long period that he should have with his ability.Canavan, undoubtedly did it over a longer period of time, and at times with a poor team around him.
Not taking away from a great player in fitzgerald, just think your arguement is flawed
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thewobbler

Brian McGuigan was a better player than anyone in that list. He gets my vote.

loughshore lad

For a purist like myself, Fitzgerald is out in front of Canavan. Granted that Canavan was a superb talent, but to me he has always been a bit of a flawed genius.

There is the patchy disciplinary record, the rumours of broken jaws, the 5 year hiatus from'97 to '01 where he may have cost Tyrone at least one All-Ireland, the inability to consistently get the better of Kieran McKeever (a man who is nowhere near the top 25 list according to TG4) and the nagging suspicion that the GAA hierarchy contrived to hand him his first Celtic cross in '03.

He gets my vote.

His unavailability for Tyrone from 97 - 2000 certainly didnt cost Tyrone an AI in that period as even with him in tow they would not have had that type of quality.  The inability to consistently get the better of McKeever is a bit of a red herring in my opinion.  McKeever may have marked him out of it on a few occassions but then again Canavan was sublime for Tyrone in the 95 and 96 championship meetings between Tyrone and Derry.

Quote from: thewobbler on September 30, 2009, 01:37:34 PM

Brian's unfortunate run of injuries would have cost him a place in the reckoning for the likes of this, in spring 2006 he was the best player in the country with the best years of his career in front of him.

macdanger2

went for Moynihan, great solid player

saffron sam2

If Blaney had been on the list, would he (McGuigan) still have got your vote?

saffron sam2

Quote from: loughshore lad on September 30, 2009, 01:41:31 PM

He gets my vote.

His unavailability for Tyrone from 97 - 2000 certainly didnt cost Tyrone an AI in that period as even with him in tow they would not have had that type of quality.  The inability to consistently get the better of McKeever is a bit of a red herring in my opinion.  McKeever may have marked him out of it on a few occassions but then again Canavan was sublime for Tyrone in the 95 and 96 championship meetings between Tyrone and Derry.

Brian's unfortunate run of injuries would have cost him a place in the reckoning for the likes of this, in spring 2006 he was the best player in the country with the best years of his career in front of him.

I was thinking more 2001.

botman

Keep them at it.