Kerry in record equalling 6th All Ireland apperance in a row

Started by magickingdom, August 31, 2009, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

a record even beyond the famed 4 in a row team kerrys win on sunday puts them in their 6th all ireland in a row. this matches the record held by wexford and dublin. the question now is can kerry make the record their own next year by reaching 7 finals in a row?

tyssam5

Quote from: magickingdom on August 31, 2009, 07:27:07 PM
a record even beyond the famed 4 in a row team kerrys win on sunday puts them in their 6th all ireland in a row. this matches the record held by wexford and dublin. the question now is can kerry make the record their own next year by reaching 7 finals in a row?

Should be focusing on this year Magic. 6 in a row is great going, but if it ends up only a 50% win rate out of that it might not compare so well with some of those 4-in-a-row team you mention?

comethekingdom

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 31, 2009, 07:36:18 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on August 31, 2009, 07:27:07 PM

Should be focusing on this year Magic. 6 in a row is great going, but if it ends up only a 50% win rate out of that it might not compare so well with some of those 4-in-a-row team you mention?
Yeah, but no other team has been this consistent for a long long time - Dublin were the last to do it in the seventies so its hats off to the Kingdom for their achievements this decade.

Orior

Fair play to Kerry, and its nuffin to do with Munster or easy back door draws.

They just have players who perform. Could this be their last year though? Emm, hope so - its time for a change!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Kerry remain the benchmark in intercounty football, a sort of intercounty Cross' Rangers.

However their 6 in row benefitted from the rigged draw in 2005 which ensured that Tyrone would play the Leinster champs and Armagh again. An open draw would have meant a 50% chance of meeting Kerry before the final, which might well have meant another Armagh/ Tyrone final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

betelgeuse

Kerry also reached seven finals in eight years from 75 to 82.  A great achievement from the current crop no doubt but Kerry teams and players will always be measured by titles won and not by the number of times they contested the Final.

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Kerry Mike

Only a few inches from immortality !!

If Diarmuid Murphy could have got his fingers out a few more inches and deflected Canavan's shot around the post and if Declan's shot was a few inches away from McConnell last year we may well have been going for 6 titles in a row in a few weeks time  ;)

But thats the great thing about sport.

Anyway it a great achievement getting to 6 finals in a row given the current tougher route with  qualifiers and quarter finals etc, but its winning them that counts most, there are no prizes for coming 2nd.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

cadhlancian

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 01, 2009, 01:17:26 AM
Only a few inches from immortality !!

If Diarmuid Murphy could have got his fingers out a few more inches and deflected Canavan's shot around the post and if Declan's shot was a few inches away from McConnell last year we may well have been going for 6 titles in a row in a few weeks time  ;) and sure if Tyrone hadnt shown up in Croke Park, 2003, you would be going for 7 in a row?  ::)
But thats the great thing about sport.

Anyway it a great achievement getting to 6 finals in a row given the current tougher route with  qualifiers and quarter finals etc, but its winning them that counts most, there are no prizes for coming 2nd.

rrhf

Unless you are winning finals they are a shit place to be.  they have played 3 teams unfit to be competitive and 2 that whalloped them to date.  Who beat them in their last semifinal will be a popular quiz question in Kerry for years to come. I remember how good it felt to get to the final in 86 even though we were beat and I remember how bad it felt in 95, I suppose it depends on where your ambitions lie.  Its a fair tribute to Tyrone when ye see Kerry men celebrating getting to an all ireland final.   Anyway I take my hat off to them.  Just hope forn their sake its not a 50% success rate after september.  I dont see how Dara can start against Cork with that lack of pace.  If Dara starts Cork should win handy alright.   

Zapatista

I'm a little torn on this one. You have to admit 6 finals is impessive. However, a loss to Cork in the 6th final and Kerry will probably never discuss it again.

orangeman

The Kerry players, openly admitted that to lose to Cork in the AI Final of a couple of years ago, would have meant that all their achievements to date would have gone down the pan. I'd reckon that losing in this one would mean much the same, even if they have embarassed them quite a few times in Croke Park.

Getting to 6 finals in a row is without doubt a MASSIVE achievement and I can't see ANY team coming near it again, given the competitive nature of the game now. Dublin did it I think, 74-79 but there were only the 2 teams competing at that time ( more or less ).

But lose to Cork in this final and there will be little talk of getting to 6 in a row, that's for sure.

cornafean

Quote from: armaghniac on August 31, 2009, 08:28:15 PM
However their 6 in row benefitted from the rigged draw in 2005 which ensured that Tyrone would play the Leinster champs and Armagh again. An open draw would have meant a 50% chance of meeting Kerry before the final, which might well have meant another Armagh/ Tyrone final.

Totally off-topic, but does anyone know if there is a good reason why the semi-final draws are rigged, or pre-arranged as the officials put it?

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Declan

Quotegiven the competitive nature of the game now

What when for those years there's been maybe 3/4 teams max that were in with a shout of winning it?

QuoteDublin did it I think, 74-79 but there were only the 2 teams competing at that time ( more or less )

Different format and Meath went close a couple of times in Leinster to beating them as did Cork in Munster to Kerry so same argument really.

Great achievements both but Dublin's record was W,L,W,W,L,L  and Kerry's so far is W,L,W,W, L, ????