National Archives 1911 Census online

Started by muppet, August 30, 2009, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Fantastic site:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Couldn't get the search function to work. But the browse census function works very well.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Upperbann

Great site - was introduced to it some time ago after going to a local townland talk and decided to look up the ancestors.  Think it was great to see what my great grandfathers hand writing was like and the types of occupations family members had.  Clerks / seamtress / scholar - also the last column took me to the fair ' deaf, dumb, idiot or imbecile' i think the heading of the column was ???

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Orior

Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They've finally got Armagh up.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mountainboii

Great site alright. Some of the living arrangements make for interesting reading, like the two aul boys on my road living with the 19 year old 'servant' girl. Hmmmm...

muppet

A few counties 1901 census available here:

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

Despite the name it includes most of Connacht and Wexford.

I found my great-great grandfather who was still going at the age of 88 in 1901.

MWWSI 2017

Norf Tyrone

Funny I literally bumped into an English girl on Facebook last week looking for her ancestors, and seaching my surname. Transpires her grandfather and mine were brothers.

She had a host of photos of my grand fathers's siblings, and connections. There are also a few gaps that the two of us or now trying to bridge.

It's quite mad when someone stranger in London has photos of your great grand parents that evern my father had never seen!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Orior

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 30, 2009, 09:10:01 PM
Funny I literally bumped into an English girl on Facebook last week looking for her ancestors, and seaching my surname. Transpires her grandfather and mine were brothers.

She had a host of photos of my grand fathers's siblings, and connections. There are also a few gaps that the two of us or now trying to bridge.

It's quite mad when someone stranger in London has photos of your great grand parents that evern my father had never seen!

Thats a good story, and satisfying for the researcher.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

I couldn't find my family in a custom search.
Then I discovered that the anglicized fecker who wrote down the details, misspelt my family name with a colloquial spelling.

Who said things were better under the Brits.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on August 30, 2009, 10:28:22 PM
I couldn't find my family in a custom search.
Then I discovered that the anglicized fecker who wrote down the details, misspelt my family name with a colloquial spelling.

Who said things were better under the Brits.

Evil Genius.
MWWSI 2017

Shamrock Shore

I can see my Great Grandfather there aged 57 in 1911 along with mu great grandmother and my two great aunts and grandfather, aged 8.

He never surved!

Main Street

My family could read and write and had a domestic servant who could also read and write.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on August 30, 2009, 11:09:40 PM
My family could read and write and had a domestic servant who could also read and write.

That's nothing, my family had Broadband and had a cat who did website design.
MWWSI 2017

never kickt a ball

Of course no website is complete without a photo of Kerry winning another All-Ireland in 1903: