Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final 2009

Started by magickingdom, August 30, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

the rest of the country may consider it a bore but in the home of football it'll be greeted with equal amounts of glee and dread. for kerry to lose an all ireland to cork would be cathastrophic but to beat them would be the ultimate. definately the two best teams left standing this year. cork will deserve their favourites tag, theyre a hardened team at this stage and have had some great performances this year against kerry, donegal and tyrone. but as we know only too well anything can happen in football. . .

Logan

Zulu

Cork will win this by 3 or 4 points, all this nonsense about Cork having a psychological issue with Kerry in CP is complete rubbish. Cork are the best team in the country and will prove it on AI final day.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on August 30, 2009, 05:32:11 PM
Cork will win this by 3 or 4 points, all this nonsense about Cork having a psychological issue with Kerry in CP is complete rubbish. Cork are the best team in the country and will prove it on AI final day.

How many times Zulu have Cork beaten kerry in croke park?

Mike Sheehy

Zulu

None that I'm aware of Indiana but how many have they played, I can think of 4 games, 2 semi's (including a replay) and one final. But in all those games you had an excellent Kerry against an average (at best) Cork team with only few forwards and no subs. Players like Derek Kavanagh, James Masters, Steven O'Brien, Ger Spillane etc. wouldn't have made the Kerry teams they were playing against. There is nobody on the Cork team that definitely wouldn't make the Kerry team now, in other words Cork lost because they were significantly poorer than Kerry not because of some mental hang up. They most definitely are good enough to beat them now and they want Kerry as much as Kerry wanted Tyrone.

magickingdom

whats in it for cork? its a chance to bury demons or to be buried by your demons. high stakes is just too much pressure which is never good news. 

whats in it for kerry? record equalling 6th final in a row, if we lose, we've beaten cork in cp so often we were bound to lose one. we're playing the favourites.

the myth that cork are something special because they beat kerry in a replay, limerick (barely) donegal (didnt antrim beat them) and tyrone. someone tell me why are cork so hyped up??

INDIANA

I think they will beat Kerry Zulu provided they can convince themselves they can . Still a lot of players left over from those defeats. Hidings in some cases. I just think Kerry are on the wane

magickingdom

Quote from: Zulu on August 30, 2009, 05:41:30 PM
None that I'm aware of Indiana but how many have they played, I can think of 4 games, 2 semi's (including a replay) and one final. But in all those games you had an excellent Kerry against an average (at best) Cork team with only few forwards and no subs. Players like Derek Kavanagh, James Masters, Steven O'Brien, Ger Spillane etc. wouldn't have made the Kerry teams they were playing against. There is nobody on the Cork team that definitely wouldn't make the Kerry team now, in other words Cork lost because they were significantly poorer than Kerry not because of some mental hang up. They most definitely are good enough to beat them now and they want Kerry as much as Kerry wanted Tyrone.

are you serious? think about that again

Zulu

Quotethe myth that cork are something special because they beat kerry in a replay, limerick (barely) donegal (didnt antrim beat them) and tyrone. someone tell me why are cork so hyped up??

It's the nature of those performances, they steamrolled Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry (replay) and looked to be far more powerful than any of those teams.

Quotewhats in it for cork?

Eh? Revenge for some embarrassing defeats and the small thing of a first AI since 1990, not to mention winning after having beaten Tyrone and Kerry en route.

Quotetill a lot of players left over from those defeats.

Not really, they've six new starters from last year's starting outfield 14, that's nearly half the team and of those who did start players like Canty, Lynch, O'Connor, O'Neill and Goulding are proven quality performers.

Quoteare you serious? think about that again

Yes I am, I don't know if you understand my point so to clarify, if you were to pick a first 15 from the pick of both squads there isn't any of the starting Cork team that you would definitely say 'not a chance'. I mean I personally wouldn't pick either Cork midfielder but you could make an argument for either of them getting in before Scanlon. In previous years there was a number of Cork players that wouldn't have even merited a discussion if you were picking a team from both panels.

The Real Laoislad

Why was the Mcguigan blasts Splliane thread deleted?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magickingdom

Quote from: Zulu on August 30, 2009, 05:57:29 PM

Yes I am, I don't know if you understand my point so to clarify, if you were to pick a first 15 from the pick of both squads there isn't any of the starting Cork team that you would definitely say 'not a chance'. I mean I personally wouldn't pick either Cork midfielder but you could make an argument for either of them getting in before Scanlon. In previous years there was a number of Cork players that wouldn't have even merited a discussion if you were picking a team from both panels.

thats not what you said above but i take your point. i think it will be a great final like i said above a bore for a lot of the country who dont get the nature of the kerry/cork rivalry (and why should they) but on the day if its dry it could be a classic. .

magickingdom

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 30, 2009, 05:59:37 PM
Why was the Mcguigan blasts Splliane thread deleted?

i hate when someone does that, it was there 10 minutes ago. .

Zulu

Quotethats not what you said

Well I did in fairness you just misinterpreted my point. However I agree I think it will be a cracking match and I'd be surprised if it doesn't get the neutrals attention as other than a Tyrone Kerry final this is the best match up possible.