Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2010, 02:56:39 PM
The GAA plans to produce a clear policy document on the use of association property in the coming weeks and sent out a recent reminder of the rules to members.

Good.

Fear ón Srath Bán

And I hope the GAA now exercise due litigation and fleece Maguire01 for gross libel  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

haranguerer

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 11, 2010, 03:43:15 PM
And I hope the GAA now exercise due litigation and fleece Maguire01 for gross libel  ;)
For what? I don't remember saying the GAA organised this.

Minder

I think Gort Na Mona in Belfast held a recent underage tournament in memory of one of the hunger strikers.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

funtime frankie

Minder, you're wrong. GNM didn't hold an event in memory of one of the hunger strikers. The event was in memory of one of their members who was gunned down by Brit terrorists whilst defending his community. The young hero in question was called John Dempsey.

It is only fitting and right that GNM remember this young man with the pride and dignity his courage and sacrifice deserve.

It is also worth noting that today, 12th May, is the anniversary of Francis Hughes

Maguire01

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 12, 2010, 08:31:14 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 11, 2010, 03:43:15 PM
For what? I don't remember saying the GAA organised this.

"The main centre for the event, as publicly advertised, was Galbally community centre which is not a GAA property."

Your thread title: Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Libellous enough for me.

Maguire01

Considering there are photographs on this thread of the event on the pitch, I'd say that the title was spot on. Also, I didn't make the story up - I posted a story already reported in the press.

You'll note again that I never said the GAA organised this event, whether that be the club, county or HQ. The GAA's statement contradicts nothing I said in fact. It's clever in saying that the "main" event was not "advertised" as being on GAA property - not quite the same as saying the event didn't take place on GAA property. It also said that the club didn't organise it - that wasn't the issue either.

The fact that they're issuing guidance on this probably says most about their report. Will be interesting to see how clear this is.

Fear ón Srath Bán

There was a spill-over on to the GAA ground, not the same as having the commemoration principally at a GAA ground, as your thread title very clearly implies.

Maguire01

Spill over? Were the speeches not on the pitch?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Where does it say anywhere that spill-overs can't have speeches?

Maguire01

It appeared to be set up with microphones and a PA. Does that sound like a "spill over"?

Anyway, regardless, it was on the pitch, therefore it was in the GAA ground. Significantly, the GAA's statement doesn't deny this.

What the GAA have said is that the "main" event was not "advertised" as being on GAA property. I never said it was.

It also said that the event was not organised by the GAA. Again, I never said it was.

It did not say that the event didn't actually take place on the GAA's property. Photos show that at least some of it did, including the speeches.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on May 12, 2010, 10:41:17 PM
Was there not a lorry on the pitch with the speeches being given on the trailer?

I think I saw a picture of this on the board.

Where does it say anywhere that spill-overs can't have lorries? 

:D