Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 22, 2009, 12:00:54 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 21, 2009, 10:48:11 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 21, 2009, 09:51:17 PM
And ask for this thread to be moved to the General Discussion board please, it's fecking political, not sporting.
I'm assuming the mods have ignored your request then?

It would seem so. An agreeable bunch, didn't have the decency to inform me of such. They want a playground for your like on this board apparently.
My like? As opposed to your like?
Surely there's nothing wrong with a discussion board where people with different opinions can discuss and debate?

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 22, 2009, 12:00:54 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 21, 2009, 10:48:11 PM
The 'general discussion' part of the board falls under "Non GAA Discussion". Whilst there's a political element to this discussion, it's clearly relevant to GAA.

It seems you don't have the intelligence to distinguish: you have a political axe to grind, which happens to involve the GAA. How you equate that to the football discussion board only you can discern.
Firstly, I have no problem discussing political matters and often do, in the general discussion area.
As for intelligence... well i thought that posting this in a specifically NON GAA section would be a bit stupid. It's also much more likely to be hijacked by people who have no interest whatsoever in GAA. Furthermore, this is not a 'football' discission board - it's a GAA discussion board.

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 12:26:06 AM
Maybe to show that it was a Hunger Strike commemoration, supported from all over the country and not a Sinn Fein rally as has been suggested by some?
How does that show that it wasn't a SF rally? Who did organise it?
Also, out of interest, what's the source of that piece?

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:29:41 AM
Maybe to show that it was a Hunger Strike commemoration, supported from all over the country and not a Sinn Fein rally as has been suggested by some?

Can you use Google at all? As was stated before, it was organised by Sinn Fein, the NGA, & other local groupings.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:26:27 AM
Surely there's nothing wrong with a discussion board where people with different opinions can discuss and debate?

Firstly, I have no problem discussing political matters and often do, in the general discussion area.
As for intelligence... well i thought that posting this in a specifically NON GAA section would be a bit stupid. It's also much more likely to be hijacked by people who have no interest whatsoever in GAA. Furthermore, this is not a 'football' discission board - it's a GAA discussion board.

Look at the some of the contributors to this particular thread, who are now suffering from all sorts of malaises since they're well out of their natural habitats. In a week of the semi-final of the All-Ireland Football (remember that there's a hurling-specific board, and a local GAA board, in addition to the General board), you've managed to pollute the board with political crap. And it is crap, that's been cycled and recycled through a million times before. Well done.

I don't think that this posting was worth the effort, since it has done nothing but afford the usual suspects the opportunity to have a bash. Usually we can avoid that crap here, but not now.Thanks.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Quote from: redhandluke on August 21, 2009, 11:41:31 PM
2 points worth noting:
considering McCausland did not know who the current AI champions were, I find it quite extraordinary that he knew that such an event was taking place with no Live/TV coverage in the heart of Tyrone.

Also, if the event should not have taken place at a GAA/community arena, where does McCausland suggest it should have taken place instead?   ???
Forget about McCausland - he's largely irrelevant and will have an issue with the GAA no matter what. No doubt the media went to McCausland and told him what had happened so that they had a 'reaction' to report. No doubt also, that some of his 'team' looked up the GAA rule book so that he could drop the reference. McCausland is a disctraction to the issue.

As for where it could have taken place... any other field?

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 12:32:15 AM

Can you use Google at all? As was stated before, it was organised by Sinn Fein, the NGA, & other local groupings.
Why should I google it? You posted it.
So, after all that it wasn't a Sinn Fein rally, but they organised it. Good to have that cleared up.  :P

Fear ón Srath Bán

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:36:14 AM

So, after all that it wasn't a Sinn Fein rally, but they organised it. Good to have that cleared up.  :P

Yeah of course youre right. No one else had any input into it. It was Sinn Fein Political Rally, no if's, but's or maybe's &
the Pearses club were willing co-horts, so should be banned for at least 48 weeks. Happy now? has that cleared everything
up for you?

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 22, 2009, 12:33:23 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:26:27 AM

Look at the some of the contributors to this particular thread, who are now suffering from all sorts of malaises since they're well out of their natural habitats. In a week of the semi-final of the All-Ireland Football (remember that there's a hurling-specific board, and a local GAA board, in addition to the General board), you've managed to pollute the board with political crap. And it is crap, that's been cycled and recycled through a million times before. Well done.

I don't think that this posting was worth the effort, since it has done nothing but afford the usual suspects the opportunity to have a bash. Usually we can avoid that crap here, but not now.Thanks.
And thank you for keeping it alive.  :P

But seriously, it's hardly 'polluting' the board - it's one thread. There's plenty of space on the front page to discuss every aspect of the semi-finals.

020304 Tir Eoghain

BTW Maguire, I stated about 6 pages back who the organisers were.

BTW Maguire, I posted about 6 pages back who the organisers were.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2009, 12:15:33 AM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 12:13:10 AM
SPIRIT OF FREEDOM SHOWING STRONG

MASSIVE TRIBUTE TO HUNGER STRIKERS IN REPUBLICAN TYRONE

The success of Sunday's National Hunger Strike Commemoration in Galbally, County Tyrone was down to months of hard work by the organisers. Republicans from across the country turned out in their thousands, on Sunday 16 August, to remember the sacrifice of the ten H Block Hunger Strikers as well as Mayomen Michael Gaughan and Frank Stagg who died while imprisoned in England during the 1970s and the 12 other republicans who died on prison fasts in the 20th century.

Sunday's march, the culmination of a weekend of events organised to mark the 28th anniversary of the H Block fast, saw as many as 10,000 people join with representatives of the families of the 1981 Hunger Strikers as they marched through Galbally, the birthplace of Martin Hurson, to a rally at Piarsaigh an Ghallbhaile GAA grounds.

The many banners that were carried along the three mile route were a colourful display of solidarity and a geographical pointer to the fact that people had travelled the length and breadth of Ireland to attend the march. From Tyrone there were banners from Brantry, Eglish, Kileeshill, Loughmacrory and Killyclogher. Then there were banners from Wexford, Dublin and Monaghan. Republican flute bands travelled from Dungiven, Belfast, Strabane, Armagh, Antrim and they all beat out their defiance, to the delight of the crowds. The bands from Scotland were a welcome addition. They are proud republicans who still face the rigours of sectarianism and racism in Scotland as they play their part in the struggle for a united Ireland.

The lines of former POWs came from all over Ireland, bringing their own memories of the prison struggle. The former H Block prisoners reminisced about Bobby, Francie, Ray McCreesh, Patsy, Big Joe, Hurson Boy, Big Doc, Kevin 'Barabbas' Lynch, Big Tom and Red Mick.
What's that got to do with what we're talking about?

That article you posted doesnt mention who organised it. 

I'm not sure there's any point with going on about this but I dread to imagine what someone who objected to this march would get at an agm or committee meeting if some of you boys are represenative of those who supported it being held on a football field.

HS I think the problem is a commemoration taking place on a football field, organised by Sinn Fein or whatever else names their going under this week.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 12:41:35 AM

A quick google... and your source was An Phoblacht.
I must have missed your earlier post - I was just going on the fact that you said that it wasn't a SF rally.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 12:42:39 AM
Right, it appears that the problem is Sinn Fein and not the actual Hunger Strike commemoration.

Is this correct?

HS it appears that if the Pope of Rome had organised and Sinn Fein had any input at all, then it was a Sinn Fein
political rally of Nuremberg proportions.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:40:37 AM
And thank you for keeping it alive.  :P

Not easy to be oblivious to a cesspit of ignorance.

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:40:37 AM
But seriously, it's hardly 'polluting' the board - it's one thread. There's plenty of space on the front page to discuss every aspect of the semi-finals.

Call it what you try to, you're a litter lout.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:45:11 AM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 12:41:35 AM

A quick google... and your source was An Phoblacht.
I must have missed your earlier post - I was just going on the fact that you said that it wasn't a SF rally.

H U N G E R   S T R I K E   C O M M E M O R A T I O N .