The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, January 26, 2007, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
63 (87.5%)
?
9 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

the colonel

I haven't seen speculation around brunt, couldnt afford him, I was just making a point that I think he is a good footballer and proved himself more than capable in the premier league by scoring 10 or more goals. lynchboy, i certainly thik he would get a place in the celtic team which is poor. some people need to get realistic with where the club where 5 years ago and where they are now. i dont think mcginn or mccourt are worthy, but brunt is alot better than them pair
the difference between success and failure is energy

T Fearon

Got return ryanair flights from Dublin to Glasgow for 4 euros for the opening home league fixture with St Johnstone in August ;D Now well over 100 euros for the same flights and if the game is rescheduled you only lose 4 euros ;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: the colonel on June 23, 2009, 04:26:32 PM
I haven't seen speculation around brunt, couldnt afford him, I was just making a point that I think he is a good footballer and proved himself more than capable in the premier league by scoring 10 or more goals. lynchboy, i certainly thik he would get a place in the celtic team which is poor. some people need to get realistic with where the club where 5 years ago and where they are now. i dont think mcginn or mccourt are worthy, but brunt is alot better than them pair
realistic ?
I'd like to see what Celtic's scouting system have been doing over the past couple of years, has the sum total been Misun ?

There were/are plenty more eastern europeans that would be delighted to come to Celtic (to use the club as a stepping stone theyd see it as to bigger money in epl) be three times the players that mccourt/mcginn/brunt/flood etc etc are and cost the same or maybe less (cost a fraction of what is being touted for brunt).

to paraphrase a classic line young neighbour of mine came out with a number of years ago - 'they are alright if ya like sh*te'
Celtic need to get clever not panic in their purchases !
..........

the colonel

your right the scouting system is poor, and should be doing more.

I don't think you should be classing brunt with the 3 you just mentioned. no point having an arguement about someone we are not going to sign. I'd be more than happy to sign brunt, and would havbe been happy to sign him when we had good teams.  I think your seriously under estimating his ability.
the difference between success and failure is energy

longball

Quote from: the colonel on June 23, 2009, 05:17:34 PM
your right the scouting system is poor, and should be doing more.

I don't think you should be classing brunt with the 3 you just mentioned. no point having an arguement about someone we are not going to sign. I'd be more than happy to sign brunt, and would havbe been happy to sign him when we had good teams.  I think your seriously under estimating his ability.

I think they are as well.... although my opinion may mean nothin i highly rate Brunt. TM was full of praise for Brunt last year and he always stood out in games. I would not be suprised to see Celtic or a PL team move for him. Celtic need a striker. I seen Steven Fletchers name mentioned in the paper over the weekend. we'd be safer with Healy.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

nifan

Brunt has already been linked with rangers, and a number of PL clubs.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: longball on June 23, 2009, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: the colonel on June 23, 2009, 05:17:34 PM
your right the scouting system is poor, and should be doing more.

I don't think you should be classing brunt with the 3 you just mentioned. no point having an arguement about someone we are not going to sign. I'd be more than happy to sign brunt, and would havbe been happy to sign him when we had good teams.  I think your seriously under estimating his ability.

I think they are as well.... although my opinion may mean nothin i highly rate Brunt. TM was full of praise for Brunt last year and he always stood out in games. I would not be suprised to see Celtic or a PL team move for him. Celtic need a striker. I seen Steven Fletchers name mentioned in the paper over the weekend. we'd be safer with Healy.
think healy is gone, the 'jason lee' effect !
However having seen fletcher in the spl at least, he looks v good there.
He is the lowest level that Celtic should be looking at buying though, centre half, left back, at least one striker (two if Fletcher comes in).
..........

T Fearon

In terms of centre halves we could do worse than buy Rob Jones (Hibernians), Have seen this guy live a few times and he never fails to impress.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2009, 11:11:04 AM
In terms of centre halves we could do worse than buy Rob Jones (Hibernians), Have seen this guy live a few times and he never fails to impress.
have thought this for the past few seasons myself!
at 6' 5" he is the kind of player MON would have liked too !
Good tackler, not too bad on pace for a big guy and very good positional sense.

I'd have him and Loovens as my centre half pairing !

..........

T Fearon

Who is Simon Cox? Plays for Swindon apparently and Mowbray is about to pay £2.5m for him?

Loovens keen to stay according to Daily Record in spite of interest from Birmingham and Brown getting fit for Champions League qualifier.

tyroneStatto

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2009, 11:11:04 AM
In terms of centre halves we could do worse than buy Rob Jones (Hibernians), Have seen this guy live a few times and he never fails to impress.

he was very impressive in the 2nd last game of the season at easter road.

not disappointed to have lost out in the race for fortune. his goals ratio is very poor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-Antoine_Fortun%C3%A9) and would be no better than the 2 donkeys already up front.

T Fearon

Has the James Mc Carthy pursuit died the death? I hope not as this lad is a definite Celtic star in the making.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Back page of the daily ranger today - Hull after Scott McDonald, talking about silly money about 6-6.5 million!
Ffs for that price I'd get his coat for him.
Tbc....

longball

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 26, 2009, 10:27:10 AM
Back page of the daily ranger today - Hull after Scott McDonald, talking about silly money about 6-6.5 million!
Ffs for that price I'd get his coat for him.

Agreed i think if it was this price id sell him... i know where the Brunt of the cash could be spent  ;)
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Evil Genius

Quote from: longball on June 26, 2009, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 26, 2009, 10:27:10 AM
Back page of the daily ranger today - Hull after Scott McDonald, talking about silly money about 6-6.5 million!
Ffs for that price I'd get his coat for him.

Agreed i think if it was this price id sell him... i know where the Brunt of the cash could be spent  ;)
I'd be very surprised if Brunt went to Celtic. For one thing, his form at WBA in the second half of last season indicates he's good enough to play in the EPL. Second, WBA's likely asking fee (said to be c.£3.5m) is probably more affordable for a host of other clubs in England (EPL and Championship) than Celtic.

And in any case, if he were prepared to give the SPL a go, he'd be much more likely to try Rangers (imo). For not only is he a boyhood fan, but Walter Smith has made it clear he's trying to sell players (eg Ferguson), in order to raise the cash for Brunt. And that's before you get to the fact that Rangers are guaranteed CL football this season (well, a few games, anyhow!), as well as Brunt already having NI pals at Ibrox.

P.S. As an NI fan, I hope he doesn't go to either club, for whilst it hasn't done e.g. Steven Davis any harm, and Brunt seems to be a bit more level headed than eg Kyle Lafferty, nonetheless the SPL is little better than the top half of the English Championship; so he might as well stay at The Hawthorns (imo).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"