best gig you've been to

Started by blewuporstuffed, July 30, 2009, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on July 30, 2009, 10:56:20 PM
What's the name of the singer who played with Philomena in the mid 70's?
Ray Lynam. Wiki is your friend.

Tony Baloney

The Rolling Stones, Bangalore, 2003. Front row tickets for about twenty quid. It started raining for the first time in about two months and continued for the whole concert!

The Boss and Oasis concerts a couple of years back in the Odyssey stand out too.

rolloutking

It's funny how everyone is listing practically every gig they have ever attended to make it look like they are 'into' music.

Best one I've been to was Slane this year. Gem Archers Don't Look Back In Anger Solo was amazing. The Prodigy were probably better than Oasis

kumquat

Oxegen 07 Green Room

ocean colour scene

Queens of the stonage

Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

rosnarun

the 1big one s nearly always the e  mine was croke park '86
didnt like them them  dont like them now but what a show , i dont think they've bettered it .
t yb iiiiiiiiiiii ol our debs was on the night before and most of us continued the party on to the train and all day during the concert . can you imagine the stae of us that evening,

next best was the maimin ceile band and sean keane et al in the tabhdhearc in 1997 a session of the highest calibre
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Chrisowc

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 30, 2009, 02:09:15 PM
My brother was at Slane in 1992 ( I think) for Guns n Roses, some of the oul hands here were there I am sure, he says that was a great gig.

I was at that myself but was disappointed.  Axel was up his own hole by this stage of their career.  I have seen Velvet Revolver 3 times and enjoyed those concerts far more.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

full back

mylestheslasher

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2009, 10:46:46 PM
1.Big country 95 (96?) village (or whatever the fcuk it was called - wexford st Dublin
2. Davin Lee Roth - Point depot 1991
3. Ac/Dc - Point June 26 1996
4. Sepultura - SFX
5. BB King - Point
6. George thorogood - Point

Worst
1.Morrossey - point
2. bowie - point
3. bruce - rds the other week
4. bruce/seegar sessions - point

Would you believe I was at that one too. Paradise lost supported that day. Jaysus it was a rough one, there was all sorts of rows going on outside and that SFX was some shite hole. Great Gig. We should have had our religion debate back then and got it out of the way.

5 Sams

I forgot to mention.....any time I have seen Christy Moore....absolutely brilliant every time.
The Aristocrat Years

ludermor

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 31, 2009, 10:08:42 AM
1.Big country 95 (96?) village (or whatever the fcuk it was called - wexford st Dublin
4. Sepultura - SFX
5. BB King - Point

Worst
1.Morrossey - point
2. bowie - point

Would you believe I was at that one too. Paradise lost supported that day. Jaysus it was a rough one, there was all sorts of rows going on outside and that SFX was some shite hole. Great Gig. We should have had our religion debate back then and got it out of the way.
Would that have been around 94? I remember walking with one of my mates to the queue and never been as scared in my life! He was all decked out in the gear but i would have been in my wollly jumper and jeans. My mate was there with all his mates from Cavan, you werent there with any boys from Ballyjamesduff by any chance?

SidelineKick

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 31, 2009, 10:17:23 AM
I forgot to mention.....any time I have seen Christy Moore....absolutely brilliant every time.

I would have agreed up until last year. Seen him in Silverbridge and he did not want to be there.  Very poor.  Banter to a minimum, straight through his set. Game over.

Would be reluctant to go back and see him after that. Probably will though  :-\
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

mc_grens

Bruce on his last night last year, and on Sunday this year.

Roll on Giants Stadium!

Non Springsteen honourable mentions-

REM in the Olympia 2 years back were excellent too.
CSS are class live.
The Strokes in the Point about 3 years back were savage.
Chilli Peppers in Slane.
The Stones in the point About 5 years ago.
KOL last year in the O2.
Saw Primal Scream in the Limelight back in the ould student days and ended up on the piss with Mani... MAD.
Oh... And the Stone Roses and REM, who started my love of live music in the glorious Summer of 1995!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ludermor on July 31, 2009, 10:17:37 AM
4. Sepultura - SFX
5. BB King - Point

Worst
1.Morrossey - point
2. bowie - point

Would that have been around 94? I remember walking with one of my mates to the queue and never been as scared in my life! He was all decked out in the gear but i would have been in my wollly jumper and jeans. My mate was there with all his mates from Cavan, you werent there with any boys from Ballyjamesduff by any chance?

Could have been. I was with a few lads from home that went to St Pats in Cavan (didn't go there myself) and there were other lads with them - they could've been from Ballyjamesduff. I remember as well one lad thought he got prodded with a needle at the gig and was shitting it afterwards - think he ended up going to hospital and getting checked out for it. When you think back it was awful spot to go. Some amount of scum hanging around looking for a row, robbing tickets and the like outside.

Main Street

Did anybody see Queen when they came to Ireland.
I didn't, just curious how they got on.

bingobus

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 31, 2009, 10:45:15 AM
Quote from: ludermor on July 31, 2009, 10:17:37 AM
4. Sepultura - SFX
5. BB King - Point

Worst
1.Morrossey - point
2. bowie - point

Could have been. I was with a few lads from home that went to St Pats in Cavan (didn't go there myself) and there were other lads with them - they could've been from Ballyjamesduff. I remember as well one lad thought he got prodded with a needle at the gig and was shitting it afterwards - think he ended up going to hospital and getting checked out for it. When you think back it was awful spot to go. Some amount of scum hanging around looking for a row, robbing tickets and the like outside.

My brother was a hairy mama in his day into early Metallica, Megadeath, Slayer and all that stuff. He still talks about the gigs in the SFX and the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire. It would say that anything could and did happen at those gigs and the venues would be closed on the spot nowadays.