How can you care about soccer?

Started by SidelineKick, July 30, 2009, 10:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

This isn't a wind up.  Just want to try and get into the minds of the soccer-obsessed posters on the board.

I was a Man Utd fanatic when I was younger, but once Cantona left I lost all interest.

I probably loved soccer at that age because all children idolise people and soccer players were my chosen celebs.

Where do the older posters get their passion from and why does it mean so much to them for Man Utd, Liverpool or Celtic to win?

It's something I cannot understand.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Archie Mitchell

I think if you watched the episode of Father Ted where they had the over 80's indoor soccer competition, you could take a few hints from Mrs Doyle, maybe read the book she did and embrace the game.

full back

Seems like you were more of a Cantona fanatic SK ???
Did you support Leeds when he was there?
Did you queue to see his new film?

Im pleased to report that Utd are surviving since Cantona left

Norf Tyrone

Fair question SK.

For me it's something that was always there. Growing up I played 'soccer', listened to it on the radio, and could not sleep with excitment if there was a rare live game on. It's habit forming. These days I probably enjoy the matches less, and would've regressed that enthusiasm a tad. However this has  been replaced by looking forward to going out for a few beers with the mates, and an excuse to meet up with them. I suppose that sense of community that the GAA gives me is replicated in miniture form by that wee community I get on a Saturday/ Sunday etc with the boyos sharing a common bond.

I believe Adrian Chiles has a book out about why people follow football. I might hunt it out.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on July 30, 2009, 10:26:54 AM
Seems like you were more of a Cantona fanatic SK ???
Did you support Leeds when he was there?
Did you queue to see his new film?

Im pleased to report that Utd are surviving since Cantona left

OK that nowhere near answers my questions but good effort!

It does seem though that I was more of a Cantona fan rather than Utd.  Wasnt a Leeds fan though when he was there.

Also didnt see his film.

Reported.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 30, 2009, 10:29:27 AM
Fair question SK.

For me it's something that was always there. Growing up I played 'soccer', listened to it on the radio, and could not sleep with excitment if there was a rare live game on. It's habit forming. These days I probably enjoy the matches less, and would've regressed that enthusiasm a tad. However this has  been replaced by looking forward to going out for a few beers with the mates, and an excuse to meet up with them. I suppose that sense of community that the GAA gives me is replicated in miniture form by that wee community I get on a Saturday/ Sunday etc with the boyos sharing a common bond.
I believe Adrian Chiles has a book out about why people follow football. I might hunt it out.

Fair answer to a fair question! The social side, banter, slagging etc would be a healthy reason to follow it.

Reported.

tyrone girl

I have one brother obsessed with utd and the other obsessed with liverpool and for feck sake if either of them beat they wouldnt speak for the rest of the day , put me in bad mood looking at them. Have no idea how they can be so into either team. Would mean nothing to me , but different blokes different strokes.

SidelineKick

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 30, 2009, 10:33:38 AM
I have one brother obsessed with utd and the other obsessed with liverpool and for feck sake if either of them beat they wouldnt speak for the rest of the day , put me in bad mood looking at them. Have no idea how they can be so into either team. Would mean nothing to me , but different blokes different strokes.

Thats probably the type of supporter I'm talking about. I can see why some people do it for a social reason, something to watch over a few pints etc. but its the obsessed ones that talk about "us" etc.

Reported.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: SidelineKick on July 30, 2009, 10:35:11 AM
Quote from: tyrone girl on July 30, 2009, 10:33:38 AM

Thats probably the type of supporter I'm talking about. I can see why some people do it for a social reason, something to watch over a few pints etc. but its the obsessed ones that talk about "us" etc.

I have to admit despite my previous answer, I would still be classed a tad obsessed too. I would use the 'us' thing as I pay my membership, and sure if a supporter can't say 'us' the game's f**ked.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bingobus

Silly question if you ask me.

Simple answer - enjoyment, pleasure, emotion, social aspect etc etc.

For you question replace soccer with any other sport and you'll find the same answers. Its a choice of recreation, a hobby for some and more for others.

Mario

If you like any sport you want to see it played at the top level, i love soccer, the nearest top level league is in England so i support a team from there. Im sure if gaelic was played at a higher level in other countries than in ireland, people on here would have a keen interest in these more talented leagues and probably support a team from there as they want to see the sport they play performed by the best people.

I think the premier league is great, people are giving off about their being to much money in it, being out of touch with the common man etc, i think that adds to the glamour of it and part of the reason why millions of young boys want to play in it. I can't think of many sporting events i look forward to more than a Man Utd v Liverpool game say. I also look forward to playing it every Saturday, the enjoyment factor has been taking out of club gaa a lot in my view, don't get me wrong i still love winning a gaelic match but you can play soccer pressure free on a sat and enjoy it.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: SidelineKick on July 30, 2009, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 30, 2009, 10:29:27 AM
Fair question SK.

Fair answer to a fair question! The social side, banter, slagging etc would be a healthy reason to follow it.

i would say thats why i take an interest,more a social thing, enjoy having a pint watching the game and a good topic of conversation, but not really much more than that.Enjoy the whole transfer speculation and the craic attached to that too.
although i'd class myself as a liverpool fan ,at the end of the day, if they are beat, it doesnt bug me that much.its like 'ah, bollox' and on with the day!now, if tyrone or my club are beat, thats a different story!!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

SidelineKick

Agree everyone wants to see their chosen sport played at the top level, I suppose I just picture these players playing for a club that they couldnt possibly care too much about, for tens of thousands of pounds a week, they have people idolise them yet dont give one shit about the fans.

I'm probably being simplistic and comparing it to GAA in my own head where you meet these fellas in the street, have a conversation about something normal, then cheer them on as they play in front of 60,000 people later that week!

Plus I find soccer ridiculously boring now. I honestly couldnt watch a full 90 minutes of it, unless I had a bet on it of course.

Reported.

PadraicHenryPearse

Like SLK i was a big Man U supporter as a kid. This was because my friend who was 4 yrs older than me supported them and i did everything he did. I then became a Cantona supporter and like SLK lost interest abit after he retired. I still would support Man u against most teams. I decided to support Notts County as a joke about 13 years ago. The i started to be introduced to people as a Notts County supporter (you'll never guess who he supports) so then i thought i should more than just say it. Bought the Jersey became a shareholder etc. Now after 13 years of nearly all misery we have cash.

in summary i do it for the social aspect and all my friends follow soocer teams. I don't enjoy watching soccer that much prefer to wtch highlights. When younger is what i played every lunch break. I grew up with it, its hard to give up once your hooked.

ziggysego

Like SLK (I feel dirty :() I was a Man Utd fan as a kid. It was more to do with the banter in the playround and with family member than anything else. Cantona was a terrific player and after he left, I really lost interest in the sport altogether. Too much money and divas in it now. Plus, it's boring.

I don't begrudge anyone else being a soccer fan, I just can't understand the whole obsession some of them take towards it.
Testing Accessibility