Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyronefan

guess that evens it out

no Paddy Bradley  and no Tommy Freeman

whiskeysteve

Shite draw. Really wanted the Derry-Monaghan saga of the past few years to be laid to bed. This is a bad game for both teams and unfortunately it is quite likely that the winners will emerge with little credit.

Again I cant see any way past a Monaghan team without a physical battle. I have no doubt there could be plenty of off the ball crap too. As in the previous game there will be moments of honest intensity and good play but the usual punters will ignore them for a chance to stick the lazy boot in.

On that note, fair play to Indiana for his principled stand of not watching something he is certain he will find distasteful. Now he will not be in the position to waste his time posting blunt criticisms on the game itself.

Football wise, everyone knows what way the Monaghan team will line out (providing for injuries) and the style they play the game. If anything, there must be a bit of a siege mentality there after all the criticism in the media, etc, so I'd expect them to stick grimly to their method. Thats not a criticism but just a reflection that if it is to be a competitive game then I don't hold out a lot of hope that it will be a great game for the neutral.

Derry will be more of an enigma, as always. I think most Derry people have an idea of how they would like to see the team line out but for all the changing permutations, tactics and systems the same old problems are still there, the half forwards and ball inside being nullified by a sweeper.

At this stage, I would almost welcome weakness elsewhere just to see these issues resolved.

As for people calling for the return of certain Derry players based on club form, did they not see enough of their county performances? Bringing back players who have an average to poor track record with Derry is not the answer, I would rather Cassidy blooded new players in an effort to get to the root of the challenge than paper over the cracks.

The exercise of comparing good club players who consistently failed to deliver at county level with relative unknowns in debut seasons is a crock of shit. To be frank, I'd rather give Gavin McShane his shot than resurrect the same old, same old. I doubt many posters from senior clubs have a baldy notion about Gavin (I haven't seen him play more than once anyway) but it doesn't stop them making the usual snap judgements in complete ignorance.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

thebandit

According to bbc....

Derry full forward Paddy Bradley has quit the county panel ahead of this week's All-Ireland qualifier against Monaghan, BBC Sport understands.

The news will come as a major blow to Derry manager Damian Cassidy and supporters of the Oak Leaf county.

The prolific Glenullin clubman is third in the all-time Ulster scoring list in Championship football and won an All Star for his performances in 2007.

The 28-year-old former Derry captain has won two National League titles.

Bradley scored Derry's goal in their Ulster Championship first round win over Monaghan.

He took part in a game involving panel members on Sunday, before informing Cassidy of his intention to leave the squad.

Main Street

Who is cursing the luck of draw more, Monaghan or Derry?

Are Derry fans thinking, what did we do to deserve a trip to Clones?

SidelineKick

No I like the day out to Clones, what I don't like is playing Monaghan again.  They'll have had a tough game under their belts and come through a tight match which is good for morale.  Derry training away waiting on their opponents, I think Monaghan are in the stronger position.  Plus if P Bradley has left that'll hardly do us any favours!

PS before the match is even played, Dick Clerkin made them do it  ;)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2009, 12:02:54 PM
Who is cursing the luck of draw more, Monaghan or Derry?

Are Derry fans thinking, what did we do to deserve a trip to Clones?

Derry supporters are thinkin "are we going to have to beat manners into these heures again?"

Paddy Bradley or no Paddy Bradley, Derry will win this match.

donelli

Will Doherty be available for Derry??

Giving the good gael he is reported to be, there probably could be a chance he'll be collecting for some of the charities on the approach to the ground on Saturday.....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 06, 2009, 10:50:58 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 06, 2009, 09:50:47 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM
Let the battle commence!
isnt it meant to be a game of football ?
It is. You've never heard of the term battle used in a sporting context?

A quick google of GAA & battle throws up these...
RTÉ Sport: GAA - Monaghan and Derry to battle again
Fermanagh fight injury battle - GAA, Sport - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
GAA CLASSIC : Royal Battle: Meath Dublin 1991 - DVD Sales
Western People: GAA: Mayo best in 'Battle of The Bronx'
Sports - gaa - Laois battle past Antrim

the word while correctly used in the context of your last example is still NOT appropriate
as it indicates a fight, and while these sometimes occur,  I find it against the ethos of our Gaelic games to set out with this mindset.

maybe its a monaghan thing and it would explain a lot !
:o

Main Street

I was quite impressed with the Monaghan discipline in closing down. They mostly have the knack of doing just enough aggressively, but not too much.
They do that better than most teams.
Vinny did very well against Armagh but that leaves a desperate lack of potency in the full forward line.
Nevertheless I think he should stay at full back and hope Finlay has his free kick accuracy back.
McManus looks well capable of pulling in a few points.

Will Hunting

Quote from: donelli on July 06, 2009, 12:17:36 PM
Will Doherty be available for Derry??

Giving the good gael he is reported to be, there probably could be a chance he'll be collecting for some of the charities on the approach to the ground on Saturday.....

Hopefully there'll be nobody stamping on his face this time anyway.

As for McManus, we'll put Brian Mullan on him from the start.

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 06, 2009, 12:24:13 PM
Let the battle commence!

the word while correctly used in the context of your last example is still NOT appropriate
as it indicates a fight, and while these sometimes occur,  I find it against the ethos of our Gaelic games to set out with this mindset.

Lynchboy, you are just playing that same simple one track tune analysis.
What Banty means when he talks about manliness?
When we play manly teams like Kerry, they know how to hold their heads, play their game man to man, hold their ground with discipline and hand it back with interest. You never hear a gripe out of a class players like Donaghy or Galvin. But Bradley, that guy can whine.
When we play lesser talent than Kerry/ Cork etc, they generally can't take it, they lose the head and blame Monaghan for losing their head.

Bensars

QuoteYou never hear a gripe out of a class players like Donaghy or Galvin

Are you serious ?  Ask paddy Russell about Galvin.

In regards to Donaghy, it has crept into his game. Last year you would have heard quite a few gripes

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2009, 12:45:39 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 06, 2009, 12:24:13 PM
Let the battle commence!

Lynchboy, you are just playing that same simple one track tune analysis.
What Banty means when he talks about manliness?
When we play manly teams like Kerry, they know how to hold their heads, play their game man to man, hold their ground with discipline and hand it back with interest. You never hear a gripe out of a class players like Donaghy or Galvin. But Bradley, that guy can whine.
When we play lesser talent than Kerry/ Cork etc, they generally can't take it, they lose the head and blame Monaghan for losing their head.

But they make an effort to play ball at least. I mean look at Woods last Saturday. Playing well yet he must have been involved in every row going on the pitch. If thats Monaghan football- you're welcome to it. I've yet to see Gooch or Donaghy starting rows in their own full back line and ruinning 50 yards to get involved in things that don't concern them. He's looked like a clown on tv.

Archie Mitchell

Gooch and Donaghy are no angels either.

cameltohill

anyword on the ref? think mcenaney should get this one... :D :D