Jimmy Stynes

Started by HeaveHo, July 02, 2009, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

His most recent tweet, you just have to hope for him

@jimstynes
Jim Stynes
away overseas having radicle treatment, great results so far.couldn't be in better hands. thanx 2everyone who supported doco
14 Oct via web
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

dublinfella

Grew up near the Stynes family, knew Jim as an awestruck kid. This is the first I heard of it.

Fingers crossed all goes well, but the man hasn't been beaten by anything yet.

anglocelt39

Was gut wrenchingly hard to watch by times. Jim has been defying the odds since he went to Oz in 1987, long before it was fashionable to throw some shapes at cracking in in Rules down there. What a superb player he turned into however one of my highlights was when he declared for Ireland in the 1990 compromise rules series and took on a one man role in evening up the physical odds against the Aussies on a freezing winters day down in Canberra. Never shied away from togging out for some Round Ball stuff on a Sunday in Melbourne, often to the horror of his AFL club/employers. Former All Black Number 8 Zinzan Brooke had some great anecdotes about running into him on a GAA pitch during the Australasian GAA games.

Truly one of our greatest ever sporting exports and I hope to jasus he has some sort of success in this fight.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Worker

Anywhere you can watch this show in the north?

will it be repeated?

Pat Mustard

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 08, 2010, 07:09:09 PM
Was gut wrenchingly hard to watch by times. Jim has been defying the odds since he went to Oz in 1987, long before it was fashionable to throw some shapes at cracking in in Rules down there. What a superb player he turned into however one of my highlights was when he declared for Ireland in the 1990 compromise rules series and took on a one man role in evening up the physical odds against the Aussies on a freezing winters day down in Canberra. Never shied away from togging out for some Round Ball stuff on a Sunday in Melbourne, often to the horror of his AFL club/employers. Former All Black Number 8 Zinzan Brooke had some great anecdotes about running into him on a GAA pitch during the Australasian GAA games.

Truly one of our greatest ever sporting exports and I hope to jasus he has some sort of success in this fight.
Was Jim a Pearses man? I know his brother David played for them quite recently.

Had heard Brooke played a bit of GAA, thought it was a tall tale. Who for?

irunthev

Quote from: Pat Mustard on December 08, 2010, 09:07:29 PM

Zinzan played gaelic in Auckland for Marist Rangers (formerly Roskill Rangers) as did another All Black Bernie McCahill. McCahill father is from Donegal and Zinny and Bernie have been great mates since they were kids, that's how Bernie got Zinny involved. Zinny and Bernie both played for Auckland in the Australasian Games too. When Zinny and Bernie were coaching Harlequins in London they both played for St Brendans in London, Bernie won a league title with them in 2001 and played 2 seasons while Zinny only played once. Total legend though and in his autobiography he talks about the GAA in Auckland and attributes his drop goal ability to his time playing GAA. St Brendans are the only senior GAA clubs who have had two World Cup winning All Balcks on their team at the same time. I think that Zinny's brother Robin also played for Roskill Rangers but not 100% sure on that.

5 Sams

Amazing programme...makes you count your blessings...I remember Jim goin to Oz and it was a big deal at the time...I think he won a minor All Ireland in the mid 80's with the Jacks...I think Dermot McNicholl went out around the same time...but Jim led the way....The saddest part for me was watching this monster of a man with his wee skinny legs in rehab doing his exercises....if anyone can beat this cnut of a disease he can....he's leavin no stone unturned..good luck Jim
The Aristocrat Years

mattockranger

Quote from: Pat Mustard on December 08, 2010, 09:07:29 PM

Jim was a ballyboden st enda's player before he left and his brother Brian also played for them think he's based in Oz now also.....terrific dublin player highly under-rated

gut wrenching show but great example of the power of Attitude

this man has the right one and may we all take inspriation from it
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

CompulsoryTillager

Shameful to think some of the crowd in Croke Park spat at him when he was playing for Australia against Ireland in 1987.

snoopdog

What an inspiiration that man is. Make you proud to be an Irish man unlike those idiots in the Dail.
It was a heart wrenching programme, the young blonde haired lad idolises big jim and why wouldnt he.
Hope he can somehow beat that horrible disease. Best of luck big Jim, you never got the credit you deserved in your own land.

Qwerty28

Any updates on his condition? Very moving yet powerful programme, an inspiration to anyone, especially if they are battling that disease

RedandGreenSniper

I had huge respect for Jim Stynes from when I was in Australia and the man is a legend there, like plenty have been saying. He has gone even further up in my estimation after watching this. I hope and pray Jim pulls through. Best of luck champ'.

As an aside isn't the documentary incredibly frank? I found that's the way Aussie sports people are. Very to the point and not one bit reticent.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

CompulsoryTillager

Seems to be an Aussie trait in general

RealSpiritof98

any chance us nordies can get a look, just missed it the other nite

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'