Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2009, 06:06:59 PM
Quote from: mckieran on July 19, 2009, 06:01:20 PM
QuoteCouldn't give any praise to that knob jockey Conor Mortimer so I won't after his ludrcrious goal celebration

What did his T-Shirt say?

QuoteAfter watching Tyrone today - I think the other counties are wasting their time anyway.

Not so sure that Tyrone would have found it as easy against Mayo or Galway as they did against Antrim

Neither of those teams would beat Tyrone. Nobody else will either. Galway were so bad today its not funny. Not sure tactically the galway management are astute enough.

I don't know about that. I think the Western team ares kind of coming in under the radar this year, with a lot of hype around Tyrone, Cork and of course Dublin. I think Mayo could be  threat a this year. Galway might fancy Kerry in the draw, I'd like to see that one again.

GalwayBayBoy

Just home. Jacked tired so not going to go into too much detail now. What can you say really? Mayo took two of their goal chances and we only took one of ours. On such small margins are these games decided. If one team takes their chances they deserve to win. End of story. Although a draw wouldn't have been unjust either. We were just too loose with our passing all afternoon. Probably 50% of Mayo's scores came from a situation where a Galway player had control of the ball and he ended up giving a loose handpass or kickpass away. Shot ourselves in the foot really but in fairness to Mayo they took the oppertunities presented to them.

Mayo were in a great position really after they got their first goal as it gave them a 5 point lead and they could funnel numbers back after that and sit on it and pick off the odd point on the counterattack. The only quibble I have with John Bannon is that there was constant persistent fouling in midfield (mainly by Mayo it has to be said as they were sitting on a lead for most of the game) and he seemed content to just give free after free rather than issue any yellow cards to put an end to it. It really ruined the flow of the game. I would blame Bannon for that more than either of the two teams to be honest.

We actually did fairly well in midfield surprisingly but Meehan and Nicky didn't really have enough support up front. Armstrong played well but he was playing miles back the field and PJ had one of his quieter games in this fixture. Coyne went off injured and Sammon put Bradshaw back into the corner. Why not put Kieran Fitz in for Coyne and leave Bradshaw where he was so he could influence the game. He was wasted in the corner minding the house. At least the lads showed some heart in coming from 7 points down to draw level. Silly needless free given away then at the end but them's the breaks when it's tight like that.

Congrats to Mayo and best of luck from here on in.

INDIANA

Think Galway need a soft draw next week.
Tactically why make 3 changes when the could have made a straight swop? Bradshaw moving to corner back removed one of Galway's playmakers to a position where he couldn't be an influence on the game. Crazy stuff.

Rocky Mc Guigan

So you wont be too happy to hear they got Kerry

the Deel Rover

just back from the match thought near the end that we had thrown away the 7 point lead (not good for the heart)  but fair play to peadar he steeped up when needed. like some of the lads stated went we far too defensive early in the 2nd half and just invited galway on to us .  galway handed us some soft scores conor morts one for e.g i think it was bradshaw that had the sidleine ball and he kicked a bad backpass which conor intercepted and took the score on such small things games are won. anyway its nice to win in salthill and the galway fans were very gracious in defeat good luck to them in the qualifiers. jesus salthill is a pain in the hole to get out off .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

FL/MAYO

pintsofguinness

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 19, 2009, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 19, 2009, 08:13:33 PM

Does that say" RIP Micheal Jackson" ... I feel embarrassed.

Has to go down as the strangest goal celebration in the history of the GAA.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mckieran

QuoteI would blame Bannon for that more than either of the two teams to be honest.

What could Bannon do? A mayo player drags a galway player to the ground. He gives them a yellow card. Then a different player will do it next time. Dont see what he could about it to be honest. He issued yellow cards when they were required.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2009, 09:00:02 PM
Tactically why make 3 changes when the could have made a straight swop? Bradshaw moving to corner back removed one of Galway's playmakers to a position where he couldn't be an influence on the game. Crazy stuff.

I couldn't figure that out either.
When I saw Kieran Fitzgerald warming up I thought it made perfect sense to bring him on to mark O'Shea.
Then Breathnach came on instead.
Bradshaw has scored nearly every time I've seen him playing for Galway.
Why give him a man-marking job?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mckieran

QuoteQuote from: INDIANA on Today at 09:00:02 PM

I couldn't figure that out either.
When I saw Kieran Fitzgerald warming up I thought it made perfect sense to bring him on to mark O'Shea.
Then Breathnach came on instead.
Bradshaw has scored nearly every time I've seen him playing for Galway.
Why give him a man-marking job?

Sammon adores Breathnach and may have been worried that he wouldnt get the chance to introduce him later!

It is very wprrying that Fitzgerald seemed to be actually running on when Sammon changed his mind, dont like this kind of indecisiveness

laoisgaa

Connacht Final Big Match stats provided by Vodafone

Mayo4Sam

May as well add my tuppence worth.

I thought overall Mayo were probably 6-7 points better, if you pick out mayo players who palyed well ur prob talking about 14/19, galway prob 7-8, and yet still we only won by a point.

Thought Caff & Dillon were excellent, didn;t see howley for the match and that says spades, kept PJ in his pocket.
Thought Kilcoyne was harshly done by, the twin towers doesn;t work with CM, not quick enough of body or mind. Barry moran while he didn;t do a lot scared the bejaysus out of galway and got the goal.
Thought LOM should have gone after 20 minutes, nicky joyce was by far their best forward but vaughan quietened him in the second half.
Hard to tell on the square ball but it would have been very harsh.
Heaney defo bounced twice and over carried but that was evened up in the 2nd half by that ridiculous free.

On the fouling, i'd agree that the fouling may not be a bad thing but the problem was it was too close to the goal, should have been another 5 yards further back.

I thought Bannon was brutal, initialing i thought just brutal against mayo, the heaney one, alan dillon being pulled for over carrying when i think NJ had his 2 hands over his head pulling him down, the facts do justify this, 19 frees to 35
I think some of the galway lads on their high horses shoudl look back at the amount fouling they did on our half back lines, stopping quick ball
Thought Heaney was very lucky to stay on the pitch for slapping bergin but he did deserve it, higgins hsould have gone for the last foul and bergin definitely for their last foul

Have to say i was delighted for the eijit dancing on the pitch after the goal  :D

Anyway a famous victory, galway lads took it well i any i was talking to would have said we deserved it

The gom from kerry who rang in from kerry to radio 1 should never be allowed into a match again, calling PJ a disgrace, one of the finest footballers ever for galway

Thought Coyne may not have been injured, he was getting roasted and as ne galway lad said he may have done it to get off cause sammon would never have taken him off. Surprised on having armstrong so deep,any reasons? ANd disappointed with bradshaw.

JOM did well, kilcoyne was harsh, hes prob used to it by now, LOM should have gone earlier. But over all got it right, ronaldson steadied the ship when we needed it.

Very harsh on CM, i'm no fan but he scored 1-2, the t-shirt thing was obviously a bet, a bit of a laugh and a good sign of team morale. His interview after was gas "its not all about me"  :D
And the pricking about at the end was started by the ballina lads, it worked for them in '05, ad would have worked for us if it wasn;t for trying it in a 2m space, u need wide open spaces. As one Galway lad said they'd love to have someone like mort, teh cockiness to stand up and solo like that and that that was the problem with mayo that we knock the flair. He scored 1-2, credit where credit is due

Thought Sammon was excellent in his post match interview the man has real class, thought it last year when he was a winner and even more so now.
Best of luck against donegal, theres no reason ye cant be back in the 1/4s, and we'd be delighted, ye could do real damage and we'd have no fear of meeting you again  ;)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Cosmo Kramer

Interesting stats. 35 free kicks to 19, that says it all, would never have been a 1 point game but for Bannon.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 19, 2009, 11:37:41 PM
Interesting stats. 35 free kicks to 19, that says it all, would never have been a 1 point game but for Bannon.

Well there were a lot of free-kicks because there was a lot of fouling.