Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckieran

Eugene McGee: "Bergin improved when he went to centre field".

Did he not spend the whole match playing there? He certainly started there

INDIANA

Quote from: mckieran on July 19, 2009, 06:01:20 PM
QuoteCouldn't give any praise to that knob jockey Conor Mortimer so I won't after his ludrcrious goal celebration

What did his T-Shirt say?

QuoteAfter watching Tyrone today - I think the other counties are wasting their time anyway.

Not so sure that Tyrone would have found it as easy against Mayo or Galway as they did against Antrim

Neither of those teams would beat Tyrone. Nobody else will either. Galway were so bad today its not funny. Not sure tactically the galway management are astute enough.

INDIANA

I mean what as asshole he really is.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2009, 05:58:54 PM
Mayo deserved it. Galway were shocking though. If you were O Mahoney though you'd be concerned how Galway even got within an asses roar of Mayo today.
Galway were dreadful- couldn't handpass the ball even properly. They actually did quite well at midfield but still turned in an inept performance.
Mayo played well but still not convinced they could win an All-ireland. Defence was very good and the like sof O Shea did very well . Couldn't give any praise to that knob jockey Conor Mortimer so I won't after his ludrcrious goal celebration. A complete asshole.

After watching Tyrone today
- I think the other counties are wasting their time anyway.

Against Antrim?
I'd wait till Tyrone play someone half decent before I decide everyone else is wasting their time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kilconly SuperSub

Well done to Mayo...

They were cynical at towards the end and where almost caught doing it.

The Ref had a shocker. Continuously allowed balls to be picked off the ground and never cut out the endless pulling and dragging going on. Mayo's first goal was a square ball, Second one started with an obvious pick off the ground and Meehan probably took too many steps...

Galway can't play this bad again hopefully. Need and easy draw...

kevmy

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 19, 2009, 06:18:02 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2009, 06:12:03 PM
I mean what as asshole he really is.

His head is up his arse and he can only score from placed balls don't know what the fuss is about Trevor is twice the player.

Cop on lads. He scored 1-2 after coming on at half time and we only got 1-3 in the second half. He got 1-1 from play and he finished top scorer in the championship one year. Took a good pressure free like he's done numerous times for us with a ridiculous amount of booing and catcalling directed at him. Whatever your personal feelings towards the man have a bit of respect for the players on the pitch and lay off anonymous slating of the guy.

On the game itself we almost let it slip when we should have wrapped it up. We went too defensive after the 2nd goal. Johnno brought on Ronaldson (who did what he was asked to do well) and played him as a sweeper in front of the FB line like he did a few times in the league. I don't think it worked then and I don't think it worked today. Robbed us of an out ball up front and sent an overly negative message to the players.

Hopefully we will continue to improve and McGarrity and Trevor's injury free run of good game continue. 

INDIANA

Nope Kev I've no respect for him. That was all done for effect again today underlining what a complete and utter dickhead he is. Couldn't just score the goal and get on with it. Didn't see Michael Meehan or Barry moran doing the same. Tosser in my view. He nearly cost Mayo the game trickacting on the sideline with the ball for the Meehan goal at the end.
Aidan O Shea- now there's someone with real ability.

Tyrones own

You'd think losing his starting position he'd cop himself on a small bit but ..... !
Young O'Shea will torture some back lines before he's finished, class act.
Mayo were def the better team but i must say I was delighted to see Meehan getting that goal
from the two of them fecking around on the side line...couldn't have happened a nicer fella 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Jinxy

There was nothing wrong with Barry Morans goal.
That said, I dunno how he gets a game other than the fact that he's big.
Don't think I've ever seen him have a good championship game for Mayo.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Will Galway call foul over Mayo's point which put them 3 - 2 up- how the double bounce was missed by John Bannon and the TV3 commentators is beyond me- Best team did win though

Cosmo Kramer

Just back in, and just about got my breath back after those last five minutes. Looking back at it in the car going home, I don't know how we managed to only win by one, yet when Galway got the goal I would have taken a draw and back to Castlebar next weekend at that stage.

I really didn't like the Ronaldson move by O'Mahoney in the second half, it was overly defensive and that's not how we play. It didn't work either. However, I thought Conor and Donal Vaughan both did well when they came on. Don't know what Conor was at with his goal celebration, but he certainly did the business in the second half (except for the **** acting that led to the Galway goal).

Surprisingly enough Galway held their own in midfield, but Padraig Joyces best days are behind him and he was in Howley's pocket all afternoon.

Had a perfect view of Gardiner's point at the end from the terrace, it was a great score against the angle for a right footer and into a gale force cross wind. Looked like it was just wide at first, but he'd judged it beautifully and the wind took it over.

As for John Bannon...I couldn't believe the Galway supporters texting in to Radio 1 moaning about him on the way home, it felt like he was determined to make it close and he seemed to give them a free every time they were touched. Done Heaney going down the wing for taking 5 steps and them let Meehan take 10 for the goal.

The big plus side for Mayo is that on another day we'd have won by 5 or 6, and I just think we're a bit ahead of them at the moment. It didn't look like we would be back in March. Galway aren't out yet and I would have no fear taking them on in Croker later on if it came to it. But we can't play them in the quarters so it probably won't happen.

Also we now avoid Dublin, Cork and Tyrone in the quarters, and that's a big bonus.

So anyway, well done to Johnno (he's safe enough now for another year or two) and the team. I can't wait to get back to Croker.

PS. Fair play to the Galway fans around us who were very sporting throughout and particularly at the end when they lost. One or two of our other local rivals could learn a bit from them.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

mckieran

QuoteWill Galway call foul over Mayo's point which put them 3 - 2 up- how the double bounce was missed by John Bannon and the TV3 commentators is beyond me- Best team did win though

Couldnt believe they missed that on TV3 as well. But as it was so early in the match, I dont think it affected the final result.

mckieran

QuoteAs for John Bannon...I couldn't believe the Galway supporters texting in to Radio 1 moaning about him on the way home, it felt like he was determined to make it close and he seemed to give them a free every time they were touched. Done Heaney going down the wing for taking 5 steps and them let Meehan take 10 for the goal.

Wouldnt agree with that at all. I can only think of one instance where Galway were awarded a soft free (Nicky Joyce was the one who was 'fouled'). Other than that, I thought Mayo's backs pulled the Galway player down every time they crossed the 45. Didnt think that the ref was biassed towards any team really.

kevmy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2009, 07:46:50 PM
Nope Kev I've no respect for him. That was all done for effect again today underlining what a complete and utter d**khead he is. Couldn't just score the goal and get on with it. Didn't see Michael Meehan or Barry moran doing the same. t**ser in my view. He nearly cost Mayo the game trickacting on the sideline with the ball for the Meehan goal at the end.
Aidan O Shea- now there's someone with real ability.

Fair enough a lot of people don't like him but still don't think 'fans' should boo and catcall at any player. And I can understand why he rubs people up the wrong way and he does have flaws as a footballer. However I don't get how some people don't rate him as a footballer, he's played well over a good number of years now and scored relatively freely and consistently.

I thought Bannon was poor all round. Missed a lot of picks straight of the ground and gave frees for very little. Couldn't see where half of those were, once the hand went in at all he whistled. Although I agree that Mayo gave away a lot of frees, a bit more cynical than normal, not necessarily a bad thing in some ways

Farrandeelin

Well, midfield as you say was dominated by Galway. But that was all Joe Bergin, he had a stormer. However, I don't think this team is capable of going any further. I mean to throw away a 7 point lead, bringing on a substitute forward and deploying him as an extra defender we deserved those agonising last few minutes I have to say. However, Galway had bad wides (something Mayo were well used to down through the years) and that could have cost them the match. Agree with CK regarding Joyce. Howley was brilliant on him, even though Joyce did lay off some passes, as he'd do against anyone who is on him. Had we lost it at the end though, that f**k acting by Conor and McGarrity (I think it was) would be awful. Fair play to Peadar Gardiner though, he took it well. My own man of the match would have been Andy Moran as he did an awful lot of work in the no 7 position. Dillon played well as always. Galway will have a lot to do from being elated with the goal to being in the back-door half a minute later. Too true kevmy, I started shouting at a couple of Galway lads behind me when they were booing him before he scored the free, and I again turned around to the same people with a large grin on my face. ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.