Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: highorlow on July 08, 2009, 09:15:21 AM
Quotethen turn out a mayo team that discarded its best player

Why was he a sub in the club game last weekend?
Quote from: highorlow on July 09, 2009, 10:41:47 AM
Quoteyou have a cheapshot at mc by implying that Mc was discarded by his club this week

Where did I imply that?

My main point is that ros is a waffler and as far as I'm concerned that point is proven.
As regards McD I regret even bringing up the issue now. I was in no way having a cheap shot at Kieran and would never intend to.

i don't know maybe it was the above quote which you wrote straight after ros's comments like what had that comment to do with o' mahony  ??? anyway fair enough if you say you weren't having a cheapshot at him
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Lar Naparka

Indy, I must say I'm impressed by your determination to prove your point. Trouble is that I don't quite know what the point is. If any of the posters you selected in your trip down memory lane had claimed that he never said a bad word about my good friend, I'd say you were dead right.
Otherwise, you will have to accept that they were reacting to the facts as they saw them to be- at the time of writing.
For instance, if Farrandeelin did state: "Don't worry, everyone I've spoken to is delighted we lost, so it will speed up O'Mahony's dismissal...," I could not find anything wrong with his statement.
Unless you should doubt his honesty, and I don't think you are doing this, he is entitled to have his statement taken as factual reporting. If he then goes on to say that he personally feels the same way- and gives his reasons, he is also entitled to do this as it reflected his personal feelings at the time in question.
Likewise with Moysider and Barney. 
I don't always see things their way but of their integrity and devotion to Mayo football, there can be no doubt whatsoever. All anyone can be asked to do is to call they shots as he see them.
The same applies to John O'Mahony.
I would hope he is never swayed by popular opinion or by electoral expectations. Obviously, he is only human and is subject to many sorts of pressure. But he took on the job and knew full well what lay in front of him.
I also think he is a proud and ambitious individual who would dearly like to end his managerial career with an All-Ireland win for his own Mayo. I would never doubt his devotion to the cause and I will gladly kiss him on both cheeks (front - and rear if needs be) if he manages to pull it off.
But I do have serious reservations about some of the things he has done in the past two years and those concerns still remain, regardless of what happens this season.
I am not going over old ground again if I don't have to but one matter I did highlight was the way in which he used the need to close his panel by a certain date as being a reason for declaring that Mac's intercounty career was over. The morning after Ciaran gave his famous interview to the Indo, Johnno was to state that the panel was in fact still open and that the player in question could still play himself onto the panel - if his form justified this.
Well, the man displayed great form on the club scene and was selected on the Mayo team of the season (or whatever it's called.) He had also declared his desire to play for Mayo again so where was the problem in recalling him?
I have found nobody to date who can point out any other county that had to close its panel in the same way. Until I get a satisfactory explanation of why Johnno acted in the way he did, my doubts will remain. Period!
This season, things seem to be getting better and both team and manger appear to be operating much better as a unit. All I ever ask of any team or its manager is that they should perform the best of their abilities.
Good luck to both Johnno and his team; this is a new season and, on the field at any rate, the events of the last two seasons don't enter the picture.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 08, 2009, 09:42:31 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2009, 08:52:45 PM
QuoteSo no matter the result in the CF you will win. You will be able to re-commence your slating of one of the best managers in the game if we lose. Waffler.
please file this  in the archive section untill further proof is available

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2009, 08:52:45 PM
QuoteSo no matter the result in the CF you will win. You will be able to re-commence your slating of one of the best managers in the game if we lose. Waffler.
please file this  in the archive section untill further proof is available

Ros you are a waffler. So much so that I rarely read your posts.

Whether you like it or not JOM is a decorated player and regarded as one of the best managers in the game.

He won All Ireland titles playing for Mayo Minors and Mayo U21s in the 70's.

He managed Mayo Under-21s to an All-Ireland title in 1983.
He managed Mayo senior team to back-to-back Connacht titles in 1988 and 1989.
He narrowly lost out to Cork in 1989 with Mayo Senior team.
He managed Leitrim to their first ever Connacht title in 1994 (one of, if not his biggest achievement)

And not forgetting, he won All Ireland Senior Championships with Galway in 1998 and 2001.

Also in 2009 he was named in the Sunday Tribune's list of the 125 Most Influential People In GAA History.

Your personal attacks, assaults of character, and name-calling directed and JOM was and is pathetic.

Maughan also managed Mayo to successive Connacht titles in 96/97. He also got us to 2 AIFs losing narrowly in those same years (true, his tactics on those final days did mess things up big time) But my dad blames O'Mahony's lack of change in 89 for not winning that day too.. Is he better than JOM one wonders??? At least Maughan and he's not my favourite either, didn't manage Galway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

I am concerned we are going down the road of the Galway hurlers.

Like them we have had plenty of underage quality (in the more competitive football arena). We have a very good club scene which is as competitive and at a level of any county in the country. We have had a litany of experienced of highly qualified, experienced managers three of whom have brought us to All-Ireland Finals since Galway last won a senior hurling title. Like the Galway hurlers we tend to hound them out of their jobs pretty quickly.

Also like the Galway hurlers we haven't won the big one in a long time. Even more like the Galway hurlers our quality club scene may have become more of a hindrance to the county team. The way the animosity is developing between Cross and Ballina reminds me of Portumna and Loughrea and most people agree that their feud does not the help Galway hurlers.

I don't want the next 20 years to be like the last 20 of either our footballers Galway's hurlers.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Jesus, a lot of pointless shite being dragged up on this thread.
We better get some sort of an injury update to get us back on track. This is the Connacht Final thread, not the 'in-fighting and recriminations' thread. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

Aye. Time to move on.

From the Western: Obviously its not full piece, its related to the MacG incident.

Mayo can ill afford any other injuries in the lead up to their July 19 showdown with the Tribesmen. Ronan McGarrity's Ballina club-mate, goalkeeper David Clarke, and Castlebar duo Barry Moran and Tom Cunniffe are still nursing knocks. Moran, however, despite missing Castlebar's championship defeat of Aghamore on Saturday, is expected to be fully recovered from a thigh injury. Groin-victim Clarke has resumed light training but Cunniffe's recovery from the same complaint is still reported as slow.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Can't see Cunniffe starting the Connacht final , even if he does manage to get over the injury in time. He's been out a couple of months now, he'll never have regained match fitness by Sunday week. He did a great job on Joyce in the league from the reports I read (I wasn't at it) and had settled in very well to CHB after the first couple of league games. Howley looked rusty when he came back but has improved with each game.

I'd let Heaney remain at midfield - he can always be moved onto Joyce if Howley is being roasted. I'd only make the one straight swap - Parsons for McGarrity. People are mentioning Seamus O'Shea as an option, but having seen him in the Breaffy v Shrule/GC match, I don't think he's up to it, certainly not on present form.

With Kilcoyne in his best form of the last few years (since 06 anyway) and the twin towers worth another outing, I think C Mort will have to make do with another start on the bench. He wasn't too impressive in the club match last Sunday either - Kieran Conroy looked the best of the county men, with Aidan O'Shea showing glimpses as well.

The only other position I'd be concerned about is coner-back. It would be a big step-up for Vaughan. Liam O'Malley isn't mentioned in that report, is he fit yet? I know he can be a bit hit and miss, but I thought he was playing very well in the league up until his injury.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 08, 2009, 11:11:32 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 10:59:30 PM
Ah sure I'll have a look but I was talking generally. This year Johnno can do no wrong where as last year his name was mud. Is this all on the basis of the Roscommon game.

Indiana, you're being very selective and talking a wee bit of shite. Those 3 posters you pulled out have been slagging Johnno for quite a while. Most people, while not delighted with his first two years have been on his side and have been willing to back one of the best managers the game has ever seen. This is not based on the Roscommon game but on his track record.
If I were you I'd stick to looking closely at your own unproven manager, I know I wouldn't swap with you!

I m one of the posters Indiana 'pulled out' - your phrase. I have never slagged Johnno. Just reasonable and justified criticism as I see it. Go read the example Indiana quoted. Still stands up. A year later. I mean where is Conroy and Boyle now?

I was also critical of him losing McDonald. Still am. It was a bad call then and it still is. Anybody who saw him the last day would realise he is still the best footballer in Mayo. Even on one leg. We d have beaten Galway last year with him and have a better chance of doing so this year - even on one leg. Other attempts here to put McDonald in the has been geriatric category are well wide of the mark.

This year I could nt understand his decision to lose Aiden Higgins. But I have also given credit where it s due eg, the selection of Heaney at midfield. I have no axe to grind with the man. If it was anybody else that made the obviously bad calls he has last 2 years I would be on their case too.

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on July 09, 2009, 12:55:24 PM
We better get some sort of an injury update to get us back on track. This is the Connacht Final thread, not the 'in-fighting and recriminations' thread. 

You are right I should have posted that post on the mayo club thread (but I was curious to see how any Galwegians would react) .
MWWSI 2017

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: muppet on July 09, 2009, 02:00:56 PM

You are right I should have posted that post on the mayo club thread (but I was curious to see how any Galwegians would react) .

You must try harder Muppet  ;)  I do believe your football famine puts our hurling equivalent well and truely in the shade though!

I do however agree with you point on hounding managers out of a jobs.  Our turnover over the past 10 years has been nothing short of criminal and our county boards actions in this regard leaves a lot to be desired.  And true to form, they are in a right heap at the moment a few days in advance of our most important game to date this year  :-\

Lar Naparka

Yeah, you are right.
This happens all the time when we're hanging around waiting for the off in a big match. I'd welcome the arrival of Sligonian at this stage; if for nothing else, he'd provide a target for all to have a go at.
For the first time since Johnno, returned, I found reason to be moderately hopeful after the Ross game. It's early days yet, but the team that day had a more settled look about it. The side kept its concentration until the result was no longer in doubt. Not closing out a game when we were on top, has been the cause of many a Mayo defeat in recent times.
Also, the selection of Heaney at midfield was justified. I thought it was very significant that he stuck to his task and stayed in his selected position, for most of the time at any rate. He and Gardener have lost the run of themselves and moved up into the forwards far too many times in the past.
With his experience and coolness under pressure, he will be needed at midfield. I don't think a pairing of Parsons and O'Shea would be a good idea. They are both too inexperienced for the task in hand and whoever faces them will be old dogs on a hard road. I hope the team will show minimal change from the side that faced Roscommon.
The enforced absence of McGarrity means someone, probably Parsons, will start in midfield but I'd leave the rest alone. At this stage of the campaign, it's vital to have a settled side. The time for chopping and changing has gone.
The one thing I'd hate to see would be a Galway win and a Mayo side complaining about the way the nasty bullies roughed them up. I am beginning to believe that the present side will stand up to whatever is thrown at them and will do their talking on the field.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Yes, I am confident enough going into the game myself. The only thing is that the Salthill hoodoo. Then again, hoodoos are made to be broken.

myball22

I also taught that the bullying tactics came from some supporters and not from the players themselves. And I don't think anything that Galway players did could compare to some of the nothern teams for example but we're going over old ground here.

I think McGarrity is a big loss, he destroyed us at midfield in 2006 against probably the same pairing that we'll have out the next day. Hopefully we'll do what we've done in the last few years rattle in a few goals at the start and then hang on  :)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: myball22 on July 09, 2009, 05:10:50 PM
I also taught that the bullying tactics came from some supporters and not from the players themselves. And I don't think anything that Galway players did could compare to some of the nothern teams for example but we're going over old ground here.

I think McGarrity is a big loss, he destroyed us at midfield in 2006 against probably the same pairing that we'll have out the next day. Hopefully we'll do what we've done in the last few years rattle in a few goals at the start and then hang on  :)

Like the league eh? ;)

rosnarun

that was fun while it lasted but theres always some one who comes in and spoils it.
now who is  going to start bringing up the austin o malley quotes from 3 or 4 years ago and defend them now .
indy you got a new job
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere