Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I don't know what happened and even if I did, I wouldn't feel qualified to be judgemental. That's because I was never at a game between the two clubs involved but I do say that what happened in this case was totally wrong and should never be tolerated in any manner of civilised society at any time.
I don't care which side started the confrontation and I don't think interclub rivalries comes into the picture either. What happened here was legally and morally wrong and should never be condoned by any person who regards himself or herself as a fair-minded individual.
Nicky Brennan devoted a lot of time and energy in highlighting the institutional thuggery that passes for honest to goodness passion and commitment on Gaelic pitches throughout the land. Nicky's concerns fell on deaf ears.
Do you all remember the sickening picture of Joe Canning, the Galway hurler, lying defenceless on the ground, while an opponent attempted to drive his boot into Joe's face? It was a case of circling the wagons and denying that anything had happened where Galway hurling was concerned.
No one came forward to testify when the Gardai were called on to investigate the incident and normal service was resumed. I assume the same is going to apply here and probably no official from either club will be prepared to name and shame the persons involved. From what I've read, it seems Ronan McGarrity got a deliberate punch into the face which was hard enough to fracture his jaw.
John Maughan described the incident as a result of an accidental clash of heads. At least that's what I took from the radio interview he gave afterwards. This was just one incident of violence that goes on every week throughout the land.
Ronan has always struck me as a clean player but even if he was a Francie Bellew clone, what happened to him was wrong. All here are probably aware of the classic definitions of soccer and rugby:
"Rugby is a game for louts, played by gentlemen and soccer is a game for gentlemen, played by louts."
At times like this, I'd agree with the gent who added, "And Gaelic is a game for louts, played by louts."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

kevmy

Very disappointing to hear what happened - I'm not going to pass comment on the incident itself.

Any verifiable news on the extent of the injury - rather than just speculation.

I hope that Ronan can be back later in the year and that we can win the Connacht Final without him.

It would look like Heaney and Parsons if he is out. Harte is also an option I suppose.

outthecountry

Huge loss but not the end of the world. Able bodied replacements to come in and the mix of harte, parsons, heaney, o'shea and barry moran should be enough to see of a mediocre galway midfield and hopefully the injury isn't so bad for McG to return for the  Q/F stage should we progress as we should.

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on July 06, 2009, 11:26:34 AM
Very disappointing to hear what happened - I'm not going to pass comment on the incident itself.

I hope that Ronan can be back later in the year and that we can win the Connacht Final without him.

It would look like Heaney and Parsons if he is out. Harte is also an option I suppose.

Speculation? His cheekbone has three fractures or cracks or whatever. If one was to be dramatic about it you could say shattered but we wont. When the swelling goes down maybe a mask would be a runner.

myball22

Isn't it funny how it's always your own that bring you down?

GalwayBayBoy

Finian Hanley played for Salthill over the weekend and had a stormer by all accounts so looks like he'll be fit.

mckieran

QuoteFinian Hanley played for Salthill over the weekend and had a stormer by all accounts so looks like he'll be fit

Shit yeah, forgot he was supposed to be injured. He had a top game yesterday, so did Blake

highorlow

QuoteShit yeah, forgot he was supposed to be injured. He had a top game yesterday, so did Blake

Nicky Joyce had a stormer also.

Galway will be 6 to 1 on by the end of the week the way things are going.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

kevmy

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2009, 12:16:28 PM

Speculation? His cheekbone has three fractures or cracks or whatever. If one was to be dramatic about it you could say shattered but we wont. When the swelling goes down maybe a mask would be a runner.

I know it's fractured. I am more talking about how long he will be out for. A doctor may have been able to give an estimate - 3, 4, 6, 10, 12 weeks?. 6 weeks would have him back in time for a potential AI semi final, closer to 4 maybe a quarter final, 12 weeks and it game over for Ronan this summer.

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on July 06, 2009, 06:23:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2009, 12:16:28 PM

I know it's fractured. I am more talking about how long he will be out for. A doctor may have been able to give an estimate - 3, 4, 6, 10, 12 weeks?. 6 weeks would have him back in time for a potential AI semi final, closer to 4 maybe a quarter final, 12 weeks and it game over for Ronan this summer.

He was told that it would take 2-3 months. Its a multiple fracture. He s accepting that his Summer is over. Match fitness is the thing as well. Not sure a mask would be of any use where he operates with elbows and fists flying about.

Those that are trying to spin some blame on Ronan wide of the mark. No way he was out to start any nonsense yesterday in a game countymen could well do without 2 weeks before a major final. His focus was Connacht final and beyond and only wanted to get through yesterday in one piece with a win preferably. The other guy will never see the greater stage - journeyman that he is. Yesterday was a chance for him to make a name for himself in a parochial context. Ronan had bigger fish to fry than sparring with a watercarrier.

moysider

Quote from: outthecountry on July 06, 2009, 11:33:48 AM
Huge loss but not the end of the world. Able bodied replacements to come in and the mix of harte, parsons, heaney, o'shea and barry moran should be enough to see of a mediocre galway midfield and hopefully the injury isn't so bad for McG to return for the  Q/F stage should we progress as we should.

It s not just as simple as replacing him. We ll be weaker as a result of his loss and bench impact will be reduced as well. As well as that there is going to be huge fuss and an investigation is looming. This is all going to be a massive distraction for the panel over the coming weeks. As usual we ll have beaten ourselves up before we even tog off against Galway.

Anyway Parsons will have to step up. No way would I move Harte off the wing. Doing too good a job there.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2009, 08:27:23 PM

It s not just as simple as replacing him. We ll be weaker as a result of his loss and bench impact will be reduced as well. As well as that there is going to be huge fuss and an investigation is looming. So far I ve heard some very credible eye- witnesses lined up. If they saw what I saw then I would nt like to be in that lads shoes.

credible eye witnesses or not moysider unless there is video evidence not a lot can be done ( not condoning what was done because anyone that breaks another lads jaw deserves to have the book thrown at them) we have enough bad experience of our own lads getting their jaws broken and its not nice (whatever about football lads have their lives to live jobs to go to) not the any of them got the sort of publicity that this particular incident will get. as you said there seems to be a lot of bad feeling i know for a fact  one player from cross who was genuinely concerned about ronan enquired how he and was was told to fcuk off . if both teams got through to the knock out stages and were to meet again god knows what could happen
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 06, 2009, 08:37:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2009, 08:27:23 PM

It s not just as simple as replacing him. We ll be weaker as a result of his loss and bench impact will be reduced as well. As well as that there is going to be huge fuss and an investigation is looming. So far I ve heard some very credible eye- witnesses lined up. If they saw what I saw then I would nt like to be in that lads shoes.

credible eye witnesses or not moysider unless there is video evidence not a lot can be done ( not condoning what was done because anyone that breaks another lads jaw deserves to have the book thrown at them) we have enough bad experience of our own lads getting their jaws broken and its not nice (whatever about football lads have their lives to live jobs to go to) not the any of them got the sort of publicity that this particular incident will get. as you said there seems to be a lot of bad feeling i know for a fact  one player from cross who was genuinely concerned about ronan enquired how he and was was told to fcuk off . if both teams got through to the knock out stages and were to meet again god knows what could happen

World War 3 would erupt.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

heffo

Conor Mortimer was on Newstalk sounding pretty pissed off and confirmed that it was an off the ball strike that done him and that there was no clash of heads..

kevmy

Quote from: heffo on July 06, 2009, 08:57:07 PM
Conor Mortimer was on Newstalk sounding pretty pissed off and confirmed that it was an off the ball strike that done him and that there was no clash of heads..

Really Conor? I don't think he'd be getting involved, not from the club, was playing for his own club at the time of the incident and shouldn't be giving media interviews 2 weeks before Connacht Final on issued not relating to that.

Are you sure it wasn't David Brady - he's there usual pundit and would be from Ballina as well.