Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Things like this will happen. It happens that there are highly charged club championship matches taking place during the intercounty championship. To many people these games matter most. Cross mean more to Maughan now that mayo s performances this summer and he will have them tuned to the last but that does nt mean he ll be sending them out to punch fellas. If he had lost yer man in the first minute he d have been raging with him.

moysider

Maughan was on the radio just now and told Jimmy McGee that it was a clash of heads that caused McGarrity injury. That is not helpful. Sounds like the wagons are being circled to protect a young fella because there is going to be war over this. The word coming through now is that the cheekbone is fractured but nothing confirmed yet.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on July 05, 2009, 07:10:47 PM

Maughan was on the radio just now and told Jimmy McGee that it was a clash of heads that caused McGarrity injury. That is not helpful. Sounds like the wagons are being circled to protect a young fella because there is going to be war over this. The word coming through now is that the cheekbone is fractured but nothing confirmed yet.

A load of bullshit from Maughan if he says yer man clashed heads with McGarrity. Hope Ronan is ok though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

As expected a fracture has been confirmed. That means it will be at least 6 weeks before he can risk contact. But his fitness will take a hammering as he wont be able to run for maybe 3 weeks. Effectively his Summer is over and maybe ours too before he s even training again.

RedandGreenSniper

Look this is not the first time this 'young lad' has been involved in an incident like this. Maughan calling it a clash of heads was a joke, insulting so it is. I hope its caught on video so the full rigours of the law of the land can be applied.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

highorlow

QuoteAs expected a fracture has been confirmed. That means it will be at least 6 weeks before he can risk contact

How do you know the timeframe? I would have thought 2 to 3 weeks and he will be sound. Hope Tom Parsons is in good form.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

RedandGreenSniper

Looks like Parsons and Heaney so. I reckoned McGarrity was primed to have a blinder in the Connacht final. The more I think of all the consequences of this act of thuggery, the more I'm raging. I'd well imagine that McGarrity could have been trash talking but it wouldn't take much to set off that loose cannon.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

Lads, calling it thuggery is going a bit far, i've no love for cross but we've all had players from our clubs that have laid out players in matches, i'm not condoning it but let he without sin & all that. Theres a great competition between kmore, cross & ballina and it does cross over the odd time. The lad will get his suspension & thats only right but theres plenty of times the shoe has been on the other foot. Maughan's comments aren't helpful & down right bullshit if the reports here are to be believes
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Duine Eile

Big blow for Mayo if McGarrity's out. Nicky Joyce had a stormer for Killererin today, there wasn't a blade of grass he didn't cover, scored 5 points from play, a repeat performance in the Connacht final, presuming he starts, would prove his worth on the panel despite the opinion of some Galway 'fans'.

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2009, 10:11:02 PM
QuoteAs expected a fracture has been confirmed. That means it will be at least 6 weeks before he can risk contact

How do you know the timeframe? I would have thought 2 to 3 weeks and he will be sound. Hope Tom Parsons is in good form.

I m being conservative with 6 weeks. Had a lad last year that had a suppressed fracture of the cheek and he togged after 5 weeks. But intercounty midfield? There are 3 fractures of the cheek. 3 weeks no way.

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 05, 2009, 11:27:17 PM
Lads, calling it thuggery is going a bit far, i've no love for cross but we've all had players from our clubs that have laid out players in matches, i'm not condoning it but let he without sin & all that. Theres a great competition between kmore, cross & ballina and it does cross over the odd time. The lad will get his suspension & thats only right but theres plenty of times the shoe has been on the other foot. Maughan's comments aren't helpful & down right bullshit if the reports here are to be believes

Not sure about that Mayo4Sam. Ive played in some of those games and seen a lot of them. First of all I dont want that lad hung out to dry or anything. Games between these clubs have always been on the edge but this is something different. Somebody mentioned trash talking. 1 minute. Cop on. Spin or what. McGar was roared in his ear continously in 06 and did nt 'clock' anybody. Maybe he would have got more respect if he did? But there is no evidence that McGar said boo to anybody today. He was lamped in first minute by somebody that has to account for what he did. Or probably not.  Maughan initially has taken an unfortunate stance, but in no way culpable for what happened, let it be said. When Jerry Flanagan lamped him in 97 he graciously said he slipped and laughed it off. That was the right way to deal with that. This however can not be joked away. On this occasion he was nt on the receiving end and he did nt end up with a break and his summer ruined for no good reason. More serious than that. And this is nothing to do with Maughan anyway. Will the videos be made available or will the usual happen?  Ballina wont complain. And they should nt.  Whinging and all that. Powder will be kept dry till later.Cross had their triumph today but there ll be another day. This is for County Board and  Crossmolina executive to investigate. Ref and linesmen were having a laugh after the game - a disturbingly common sight. Other shit happened today but for that to be used as mitigating [like shoe in mouth and stitches] is laughable. Everything that happened after was a direct result of the assault and he got off light.

I ve refrained from calling anybody a thug. I m sure he s a lovely fella but if you re a player you re judged by what you do between the lines.

stephenite

Disappointed for Ronan, disappointed to lose to Crossmolina.

It's been a while since I've had the honour of witnessing some of these games but I was close enough to the action back in the day and whilst there was always tough games I'm surprised by what appears to be a nose dive in respect between players.

As M4S pointed out above, neither club can claim the moral high ground when it comes to incidents like this, but it should be pointed out that Ronan Mc was never a dirty player, in the same ilk as Ciaran MacDonald was never a dirty player (and I'm trying to reall any incident where one of our lads took him out?)

Whatever John Maughan said is fairly moot at this stage, he will never publicly slate one of his players and hang him out to dry and I'd be disappointed if Liam MacHale did it if the shoe was on the other foot. If there is footage there than the onus should be on the county board to demand it, review it and act upon it. The Sunday Game can highlight incidents for the authourities to look at, no reason why the local print media cannot do the same thing also.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on July 06, 2009, 02:00:45 AM
Disappointed for Ronan, disappointed to lose to Crossmolina.

It's been a while since I've had the honour of witnessing some of these games but I was close enough to the action back in the day and whilst there was always tough games I'm surprised by what appears to be a nose dive in respect between players.

As M4S pointed out above, neither club can claim the moral high ground when it comes to incidents like this, but it should be pointed out that Ronan Mc was never a dirty player, in the same ilk as Ciaran MacDonald was never a dirty player (and I'm trying to reall any incident where one of our lads took him out?)

Whatever John Maughan said is fairly moot at this stage, he will never publicly slate one of his players and hang him out to dry and I'd be disappointed if Liam MacHale did it if the shoe was on the other foot. If there is footage there than the onus should be on the county board to demand it, review it and act upon it. The Sunday Game can highlight incidents for the authourities to look at, no reason why the local print media cannot do the same thing also.

Agree about Maughan. you dont hang a player out. But... If he took the Wegner stance and said he did nt see the incident, fair enough. but to try and spin it as a clash of heads is not on.

Bod Mor

This McGarrity incident has sickened me to the core of my hole. What kind of ass would strike (if that is actually what happened?) a player knowing well his value to the county team and especially with such an important game coming up. I suppose you can argue that this might not of what was going through his head at that exact moment but a bit of cop on needed. If RMcG is out for the Galway game that's handing the midfield battle to Galway!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Most club players could not give a fiddlers about the county team unless they themselves are involved.