Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2009, 11:41:29 AM
i really think it was a case of galway deciding-hee at last is some one we can bully- esp seeing as they never tried it on any one else. i can never forgive the despicable violence dished out 2years ago in particular. my only worry is does this explain why mayo now have a much bigger team and the absence of connor. is jom using his inside knowlede. confession
s of a thug?

I have no idea what your trying to say

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 01, 2009, 11:58:59 AM
I know ye will all say the Galway v. Mayo matches take on a life of their own. I know people will say that Galway will improve with home advantage, the sight of the green and red, the tough match etc.

I still can't see them getting close to Mayo in this one. Lads are picking Barry Cullinane for their teams - he was knackered by the time he ran out to the centre from the sideline the last day and the first thing that happened was Mullen pulled a high ball down from above him. Mayo look a bloody good side to me and Galway will need to improve hugely to keep this competitive and close. Can't see it.

Sure we'll see. I've seen one or the other of the two teams often go into these matches before as favourites only to be left scratching their heads at the end wondering how they lost. I'm sure we'll be written off completely in the eyes of most people before this game and I can't really argue against them for making Mayo hot favourites as they were fairly impressive in beating Roscommon while we kinda foostered past Sligo. All I'm saying is we haven't had a good midfield since Kevin Walsh retired and I think we've still managed to beat Mayo three times in the championship since with an average midfield. It may not happen this year but it's a bit early to be raising any white flags just yet.

Zulu

First it was Mayo are useless and Galway are real contenders then Mayo come back to beat Galway in the league and opinions begin to change, now after their respective semi finals the wheel has come full circle and Mayo are dark horses while Galway are yesterday's men. The truth is somewhere inbetween IMO and I'm not sure either squad are that good, I would expect a good close game which should serve both teams well regardless of the result. If I had to pick a winner now I'd go for Mayo but I can't see either team living with the AI contenders.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2009, 02:52:06 PM
First it was Mayo are useless and Galway are real contenders then Mayo come back to beat Galway in the league and opinions begin to change, now after their respective semi finals the wheel has come full circle and Mayo are dark horses while Galway are yesterday's men. The truth is somewhere inbetween IMO and I'm not sure either squad are that good, I would expect a good close game which should serve both teams well regardless of the result. If I had to pick a winner now I'd go for Mayo but I can't see either team living with the AI contenders.

your right there Zulu as regards the full circle i remember after the 1st league match against Derry most people on here were saying that the Rossies would probably take us now the mood has changed and we are now favourites to beat galway in Salthill . Who do you see as the Ai contenders Zulu , Tyrone , Cork ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2009, 02:52:06 PM

We never learn anything.

Always always always ignore form between these two. After that always ignore form between these two. There.

Further down the line neither side fear Ulster sides for some odd reason but both are terrified of Munster teams. the draw might play a part.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

QuoteWho do you see as the Ai contenders Zulu

Well I'm on record (numerous times at this stage!!) as saying Cork are my tip to win the AI, other possible winners IMO are Tyrone but they are on course to meet Cork at the semi final stage, Kerry who could get to an AI QF without playing any div 1 side, and maybe Derry who IMO are the best balanced side outside the top 3. Dublin are very impressive from 8 to 15 with good subs but they don't have an IC back 6 worthy of the name, Kildare are coming but it's too soon for them, Galway have no midfield and Joyce will be found out in CP if played at center forward. As for Mayo, a squad chock full of decent IC footballers but strikingly bare of any top drawer ones, Dillion maybe but after that you'd be hard pressed to name anymore.

So for me the winner will come from the Cork/Tyrone semi final with Kerry or Derry coming through from the other side, draw permitting.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2009, 03:12:46 PM

Well I'm on record (numerous times at this stage!!) as saying Cork are my tip to win the AI, other possible winners IMO are Tyrone but they are on course to meet Cork at the semi final stage, Kerry who could get to an AI QF without playing any div 1 side, and maybe Derry who IMO are the best balanced side outside the top 3. Dublin are very impressive from 8 to 15 with good subs but they don't have an IC back 6 worthy of the name, Kildare are coming but it's too soon for them, Galway have no midfield and Joyce will be found out in CP if played at center forward. As for Mayo, a squad chock full of decent IC footballers but strikingly bare of any top drawer ones, Dillion maybe but after that you'd be hard pressed to name anymore.

So for me the winner will come from the Cork/Tyrone semi final with Kerry or Derry coming through from the other side, draw permitting.

I dont really understand that last bit Zulu.

You forgot to mention Mayo

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 01, 2009, 03:46:51 PM

I dont really understand that last bit Zulu.

You forgot to mention Mayo

He did.

Zulu, you forgot Mayo, do it again.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

QuoteI dont really understand that last bit Zulu.

I mean if Kerry and Derry don't meet Cork or Tyrone. Unless I'm mistake it is an open draw to see which 4 qualifiers met which 4 provincal champions, isn't that right?

QuoteYou forgot to mention Mayo

Did I? I thought i covered them with this line

QuoteAs for Mayo, a squad chock full of decent IC footballers but strikingly bare of any top drawer ones, Dillion maybe but after that you'd be hard pressed to name anymore.

But to expand, Mayo are a genuine top 8 team with plenty of decent footballers but I don't think any reasonable Mayo man would suggest they have a SON, Meehan, Gooch or Bernard Brogan in the forward line, a dominant midfielder or a Marc O'Se, Conor Gormley in the defence. If Mayo lose the Connacht final and get to the QF's they'll probably have to play Tyrone, Cork, Dublin or Galway, if they win they'll possibly have Kildare, Kerry, Derry or Galway to face. Of those teams I'd only really fancy Mayo against Kildare or Galway so it's tough to see Mayo winning the AI. Anytime I try to convince myself Mayo can win the AI I keep coming back to midfield and the lack of a genuine scoring forward or two. Barry Moran isn't up to it, Aiden O'Se could struggle in CP with experience and speed, Trevor Mort isn't a scorer or provider and Harte isn't going to kick you 3 or 4 either. Has Heaney the mobility for CP? Not for me, so too many questions for me to be convinced they have enough to win it. Hope I'm wrong though and anyway this should probably left till after the Connacht final or at least another thread, I don't want to be accused of taking this one off topic :)

INDIANA

Dublin do have an intercounty quality number 6 they just don't play him thats all.
Derry are nowhere near the best balanced side outside the top 3- even Brolly would admit that.
As for Mayo and Galway- if Galway had a midfield they'd be serious contenders IMO. Kevin Walsh knew what everyone of the Galways footballers had for breakfast. They won't meet another team with such detailed inside knowledge. If only Kevin was still playing they'd give anyone a run for their money. Hanley-Bradshaw-Burke- all serious footballers in the backs.

Mayo look better balanced this year than before. But its all mental with Mayo -if they can avoid the Green and Gold- with the draw they could make the final. But I wouldn't see them winning the AI. In fact I fancy Galway to beat them if Sammon moves bergin to midfield.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2009, 04:21:21 PM
QuoteI dont really understand that last bit Zulu.

I mean if Kerry and Derry don't meet Cork or Tyrone. Unless I'm mistake it is an open draw to see which 4 qualifiers met which 4 provincal champions, isn't that right?

QuoteYou forgot to mention Mayo

Did I? I thought i covered them with this line

QuoteAs for Mayo, a squad chock full of decent IC footballers but strikingly bare of any top drawer ones, Dillion maybe but after that you'd be hard pressed to name anymore.

I was jesting!!

Tongue firmly in cheek when you were not mentioning Mayo in the latter stages!
:P

Farrandeelin

I meant to say that Galway got the upper hand on us in the first half lasst year and walloped us in Salthill in 07. Happy now everyone??? Anyway, P Joyce might not be scoring as much as he used to, but he's as cute as a fox, I can guarantee if Galway are leading in the final 5 minutes, Joyce is the man they will want to have the ball, if Galway are losing ditto. I am confident at this stage that we will win, but it is all on the day and I think, like Mayo damaging Ros at u-21 level, we put Galway off their stride in the league. I think we set down a marker there.

Christ, my heart is thumping at the thought of the game. Lord only knows how I'll be at the throw-in. I might be seen 'roughing up' a Galway fan!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

QuoteDublin do have an intercounty quality number 6 they just don't play him thats all.

I meant Dublin don't have an IC defence Indiana, I would have serious concerns about all your defenders except Cahill and to a degree Henry.

QuoteDerry are nowhere near the best balanced side outside the top 3- even Brolly would admit that.

Nowhere near? Nonsense, a fully fit Derry squad have quality players in many important positions, they are not in the top 3 because they lack enough of them but the 2 Bradley's, Lynch, Muldoon and Keilt give them scoring power, they have a decent midfield with options to come in and in players like SML, McCloy etc. they have proven defenders.

Quoteif Galway had a midfield they'd be serious contenders IMO

definitely their main weakness not not their only one, their forward line isn't shaping up to be as dangerous as they sometimes indicate they can be.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 01, 2009, 04:26:21 PM
I can guarantee if Galway are leading in the final 5 minutes, Joyce is the man they will want to have the ball, if Galway are losing ditto.

So in conclusion Joyce is the man Galway will want to have the ball in the final 5 minutes, unless it is level?

Seriously though, I suspect Joyce may be long gone with 5 to go. I think this will be a very high paced game with Meehan and Armstrong doing the damage at one end and Mort the younger and hopefully Dillon, Kilcoyne and O'Shea doing it at the other.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2009, 04:35:05 PM
QuoteDublin do have an intercounty quality number 6 they just don't play him thats all.

I meant Dublin don't have an IC defence Indiana, I would have serious concerns about all your defenders except Cahill and to a degree Henry.

QuoteDerry are nowhere near the best balanced side outside the top 3- even Brolly would admit that.

Nowhere near? Nonsense, a fully fit Derry squad have quality players in many important positions, they are not in the top 3 because they lack enough of them but the 2 Bradley's, Lynch, Muldoon and Keilt give them scoring power, they have a decent midfield with options to come in and in players like SML, McCloy etc. they have proven defenders.

Quoteif Galway had a midfield they'd be serious contenders IMO

definitely their main weakness not not their only one, their forward line isn't shaping up to be as dangerous as they sometimes indicate they can be.

For all their alleged defenders Zulu - look at their concession rate. I have. Over-rated is not the word for the Derry defence in my view. If they were that good they wouldn't be perrenial underachievers.
I share your concerns on the dublin full back line in particular.