Wimbledon 2013

Started by gallsman, June 18, 2009, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

It's a good indicator of grass court abilities, but over the last few years other than last year (Nadal won it) it hasn't been as indicative due to Federer playing at Halle to warm up for Wimbledon instead. Sampras, Hewitt, Becker and Edberg are all notable past Queen's and Wimbledon champions.

Archie Mitchell

Tony Baloney

HowAreYeGettinOn

Great opportunity for Murray. Still think Federer will have enough for him though - despite Murray's outstanding potential he hasn't made that Grand Slam breakthrough, and he submitted very meekly in the final of the US Open. He's a future champion but it might be a year too soon for him.

Minder

Murray has a great record against Federer............................Except when it matters.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

HowAreYeGettinOn

True - so far anyway. But he's improving and he put Nadal out of last year's US Open. Fed is past his best but, like Sampras, I reckon he'll still grab a few majors on his way back down.

Minder

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on June 21, 2009, 12:43:24 AM
True - so far anyway. But he's improving and he put Nadal out of last year's US Open. Fed is past his best but, like Sampras, I reckon he'll still grab a few majors on his way back down.

Not sure if Fed is past his best, its just Nadal is some animal. Nadal was fcuked last year when Murray beat him, had a full programme at the Olympics (Gold medal) where Murray was beaten in the first round. Grass isnt Murrays best surface, he is a better hard court player. People seem to forget he also played a lot in Barcelona on clay growing up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

HowAreYeGettinOn

Should Fed regain the Wimbledon title, I'm sure we'll hear plenty about how it 'doesn't count' because Nadal wasn't there.

gallsman

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on June 21, 2009, 01:05:16 AM
Should Fed regain the Wimbledon title, I'm sure we'll hear plenty about how it 'doesn't count' because Nadal wasn't there.

You think? There hasn't been a word about the fact that he didn't beat Nadal at the French.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Can't remember any of the other articles but I was basing that on this kind of thing...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/heatindex/articles/2009/06/07/20090607spt-p2maincoro.html

http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2009/06/07/greatest-of-all-time-not-yet/

Nadal's absence next week (and in the FO final) denies Federer the satisfaction of beating Rafa in a major final, at least until the US. No guarantee that Rafa will make that final given that he hasn't ever made one there.

Maybe this is all moot - Roger will take the trophies, thanks very much - but with the run Nadal has on him in majors at the moment it would have been fascinating to see if Federer could have beaten him in London.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Minder on June 21, 2009, 12:37:42 AM
Murray has a great record against Federer............................Except when it matters.

Id agree more with Gallsman than any of ye, look at the above statement, it always matters, Minder ALWAYS. Murray has a great record over the Fed, pyschological advantage, knows he can beat him. Federer has a mental block where Rafa is concerned, im not sure he believes himself that he can beat him, ah but Rafa got knocked out of paris and now wimbledon. So that obstacle is gone.

Murray had his best clay court season ever, now to grass which he is better again on, The advantage of seedings is huge, in US open murray beat Nadal in semi in a class match and then had to face a fresh Federer, Murray victory over Nadal took its toll, it happens.

Murray will have the crowd with him despite his hate for england ;D, so thats another help.

Im expecting big things from Murray, even Djorkovic cant be ruled out, like verdasco , tsonga all dark horses. Its been an upword curve for murray, and Ive seen loads of his matches this yr, and the lad is going to win a slam soon whether some of ye like it or not ;). I love his unpredictability on the court and he has the game to win wimbledon even at this stage.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

nrico2006

QuoteNadal's absence next week (and in the FO final) denies Federer the satisfaction of beating Rafa in a major final. at least until the US. No guarantee that Rafa will make that final given that he hasn't ever made one there.

Maybe this is all moot - Roger will take the trophies, thanks very much - but with the run Nadal has on him in majors at the moment it would have been fascinating to see if Federer could have beaten him in London.

Federer has already beaten Nadal in 2 major finals.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doogie Browser

Did anyone see Harry Findlay on the BBC at Ascot on Saturday, he wants Murray out of Wimbledon as he thinks he will win the US Open this year.  I would say Harry has a fair few quid on him.

ziggysego

Never really watched Wimbledon before. Might give it a wee whirl this year.

I hear they are banning the women grunting this year.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Federa must be one of the greatest sportsmen of all time.

He never looks stressed, he's not on drugs, he's white, he's loaded. So why dont people hate him like they hate Beckham, Ronaldo or even Murray?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians