ludermor

Quote from: Gnevin on May 28, 2009, 11:58:12 PM
Quote from: Treasurer on May 28, 2009, 10:58:29 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 28, 2009, 09:44:08 PM
Quote from: Treasurer on May 28, 2009, 07:40:09 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 28, 2009, 06:47:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 28, 2009, 06:40:45 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on May 28, 2009, 06:36:43 PM
Why do so many people on this board not know how to use words like "there", "their" and "they're"; or "to" and "too".

Are a lot of people that stupid or are they just lazy? Maybe they just don't care.

F*ck it pisses me off.
There their , your to easily pissed , sure live's two short . They're is more to life really

;)

There there you're too easily pissed , sure live is too short. There is more to life really.
Marks out of 10?

Not quite ten G, if that's what you were hoping.
Commas don't count they're a law on to themselves.

Em... it wasn't commas - see Hardstation's post for a wee hint
Awe well 9/10 is still a A+  :D

Is it?

A Quinn Martin Production

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is that now "loose" appears to be the opposite of "find" ::)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

scud

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 29, 2009, 10:14:10 AM
One thing I've noticed in the last few years is that now "loose" appears to be the opposite of "find" ::)

Yea, no, I totally know what you mean like, its like so annoying?

My sentence above represents merely a sample of things I absolutely despise about the americanisation of the english language   >:(

And don't get me started on Jamie Rednapp and the like and their refusal to add 'ly' when using adverbs. He did not play brilliant, he played brilliantly Jamie, brilliantly FFS!

tyrone girl

Drives me insane when people use "two instead of too" and in work especially "except instead of accept" and "there instead of their"".

Drives me demented  >:(

Also another one , there is a bebo page of a person i nosy at quite regularly and whatever their  need for   mentioning the word few all the time is i dont know, but anyway, they are convinced that "few" is "view" and if i see one more fecking time them saying "ill go for a view tonight " or "il get a view months work there" il bloody scream. How are people that thick!!

Next night i see them out when i have a "few"  drinks in me i might just have to tell them!

I obviously have little to annoy me 

SidelineKick

Quote from: tyrone girl on May 29, 2009, 11:25:52 AM
Drives me insane when people use "two instead of too" and in work especially "except instead of accept" and "there instead of their"".

Also another one , there is a bebo page of a person i nosy at quite regularly and whatever their  need for   mentioning the word few all the time is i dont know, but anyway, they are convinced that "few" is "view" and if i see one more fecking time them saying "ill go for a view tonight " or "il get a view months work there" il bloody scream. How are people that thick!!

Next night i see them out when i have a "few"  drinks in me i might just have to tell them!

TG, above points in bold should really be:

"two" instead of "too", "except" instead of "accept" and "there" instead of "their".

Inverted comma placement is very important.

You're welcome  ;) :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

tyrone girl

RMDrive

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 29, 2009, 11:37:27 AM

"two" instead of "too", "except" instead of "accept" and "there" instead of "their".

You could also have pointed out the lack of capitalisation of the pronoun "I", and the use of "!!" rather than "?". Full stops seem to be in short supply as well.

Fcuk me I hate threads like this. They invariably come across as condescending (whether that was the original intention of the poster or not) and let's face it, very few of us are perfect wordsmiths. Like most people, reading posts that lack basic grammar can be frustrating but it's not the end of the world. Let he without sin ....

tyrone girl

For the record i wasnt saying i was word perfect nor saying anyone should be.
Simply saying what drives me insane.
My lack of punctuation has obviously annoyed u enough to point it out. I wont sleep tonight now that i realise i dont use enough full stops , nor do i use "I" instead of "i"

SidelineKick

Quote from: tyrone girl on May 29, 2009, 11:41:35 AM
Kiss my ass  ::)

No.

Quote from: RMDrive on May 29, 2009, 11:48:33 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on May 29, 2009, 11:37:27 AM

You could also have pointed out the lack of capitalisation of the pronoun "I", and the use of "!!" rather than "?". Full stops seem to be in short supply as well.

Fcuk me I hate threads like this. They invariably come across as condescending (whether that was the original intention of the poster or not) and let's face it, very few of us are perfect wordsmiths. Like most people, reading posts that lack basic grammar can be frustrating but it's not the end of the world. Let he without sin ....

In no way was this supposed to be condescending, everyone can have the odd slip of the finger (oh matron!) or post a comment in a rush, it's the continual use of the wrong words for which there is no excuse! People saying things like "I remember being their before", using the (probably) most uncommon version of the word for no apparent reason!

Reported.

tyrone girl

And there is no excuse for someone continually using the word view instead of few. Thats just ridiculous. Nothing condescending about pointing that out. For god sake a child knows the difference in that.

SidelineKick

Quote from: tyrone girl on May 29, 2009, 12:20:58 PM
And there is no excuse for someone continually using the word view instead of few. Thats just ridiculous. Nothing condescending about pointing that out. For god sake a child knows the difference in that.

That actually is quite ridiculous.  What age is this person? Is it stupidity or laziness?

Reported.

tyrone girl

This person is graduating as a teacher this summer i think and i dont think for a minute its laziness. She actually thinks that view is the correct word. I cringe every time i read her comments as it is continually  being used.
Another one im always seeing is people using the word quiet for quite, as in its quiet good or quiet nice. For god sake.

leenie

some of you may have noticed that my spelling and grammar isn't adequately suffice for someone with my level of education.
I should apologise to those annoyed and irritated by my posts because of my ignorance towards the english language.....

but i shall not........... ::)

i actually love that it irritates people, the more the merrier i say!  :)

long may the spelling and grammar mistakes continue!  ;)
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

SidelineKick

Quote from: leenie on May 29, 2009, 04:22:17 PM

some of you may have noticed that my spelling and grammar isn't adequately suffice for someone with my level of education.
I should apologise to those annoyed and irritated by my posts because of my ignorance towards the english language.....

but i shall not........... ::)

i actually love that it irritates people, the more the merrier i say!  :)

long may the spelling and grammar mistakes continue!  ;)

That's your only mistakes?! I am very disappointed! When I seen you had commented I thought "Oh Jesus" but well done sir  :D

It's not so much the spelling, although simple words being spelt wrong would annoy me, it's more the use of "there", "their" and "they're" etc that gets me!

Reported.

SidelineKick

:-X

My ma ALWAYS pulled me on that.

Reported.