Carnage on our Roads

Started by Doogie Browser, May 07, 2009, 10:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: thebigfella on May 08, 2009, 12:33:54 AM
It's amazing how it's the young ones who get all the blame.

There are people of all ages who could do with advanced training, especially over the last few years with the improvements the roads and infrastructure. It's amazing how many older people have never driven on motor ways, dual carriage ways, understand roundabouts. These sort of people who were used to tipping down to the local/shop on country roads now have to deal with all the stuff which didn't exist when they got their license. There are loads of accidents because people don't understand the current highway code. IMHO all drivers should be checked certain points, especially after a certain age.
But I think if you check the statistics, the majority of fatal accidents involve males between 17-25 years old and a lot of the time they seem to be after dark on a Fri/Sat/Sun night.

Treasurer

Statistics from 2006 by Age/Gender

AgeMF
Under 181911
18-258421
26-354916
36-45379
46-55133
55-70308
More than 701824
Total25092

thebigfella

Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2009, 02:10:01 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 08, 2009, 12:33:54 AM
It's amazing how it's the young ones who get all the blame.

There are people of all ages who could do with advanced training, especially over the last few years with the improvements the roads and infrastructure. It's amazing how many older people have never driven on motor ways, dual carriage ways, understand roundabouts. These sort of people who were used to tipping down to the local/shop on country roads now have to deal with all the stuff which didn't exist when they got their license. There are loads of accidents because people don't understand the current highway code. IMHO all drivers should be checked certain points, especially after a certain age.

Yes, crack down on everyone, but the statistics don't lie. Young males are far more likely to be idiots at the wheel and that is reflected in their accident and death rates. There should be far greater restrictions on young people driving.

The most annoying thing is that this hand wringing starts every single time there's a bad bank holiday death toll, yet nothing ever changes.

As someone who has 1st hand experience of the fallout of fatal accidents caused by both young and older drivers I was quite shocked in the attitudes of the courts and people involved. Where as the young person looks at a receiving a custodial term and is demonised for the rest of his life, the older person is treated with more leniency. In the case I know the Garda in charge told one of the victims they where aware the person should not have been driving but they would have felt bad taking away his license. Causing death whether its though speeding/driving with due care/etc.... is both the same in my book whatever the age.

Again there should be far greater restrictions on "People" driving or obtaining their license and not just young people. Educating people on how to read road conditions, how to make the correct choices and advanced driving techniques is just some of the stuff other European countries do. Sure the statistics say young males are more likely to be involved in a fatal car accident but I certainly believe we should not just be targeting this group. It's a sad fact, road accidents/deaths will occur but you cannot legislate for stupidity, lapses in concentration and down right bad luck; by giving proper training and education you can mitigate some of that risk by allowing drivers to make informed decisions or cope with the conditions thrown at them.

fitzroyalty

R drivers should be banned completely if caught speeding. I know a wee p***k with an Impreza only 17/18, caught doing 100 on the M1 and only got 6 points  ???
Also, learners should be taught how to drive at speed, trundling along at 45 for a couple of years then suddenly being able to travel at 60/70, young (male) drivers  just can't handle their cars at this speed, especially when they are driving small hatchbacks that aren't built for racing!

DennistheMenace

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 08, 2009, 12:16:54 PM
R drivers should be banned completely if caught speeding. I know a wee p***k with an Impreza only 17/18, caught doing 100 on the M1 and only got 6 points  ???

He would have been banned from driving and had to take the test again then, not that leniant.

fitzroyalty

he wasn't banned. Fined and penalty points, some bullsh*t excuse about having to rush home to his da who was having chest pains. Which really means his da paid someone a lot of money to keep his kid on the road

DennistheMenace

He would have to retake the theory and practical test again then, that's complusory.

Should be banned though.

fitzroyalty

AFAIK he is still driving as i have seen him about. Obviously now he'll be known to the police in a bright red performance car so he'll hopefully have wised up. the boyracer culture needs to be tackled!

thebigfella

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 08, 2009, 12:20:27 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 08, 2009, 12:16:54 PM

He would have been banned from driving and had to take the test again then, not that leniant.

Yep it's an automatic ban in the North, not sure about the south. Well it suppiosed to be  ???