Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Where on the lisburn road is unsafe for catholics?
I lived with a good few on the lisburn road and much of the talk is as OTT as the rubbish spouted about the holylands/lower ormeau where i also lived for 4 or 5 years, despite some dup sorts trying to tell me i was lucky to have lived through the experience.

DennistheMenace

How the hell is the Lisburn Road not safe for Catholics ? That's an absurd suggestion really.

Roger

Quote from: nifan on April 30, 2009, 04:24:30 PM
Where on the lisburn road is unsafe for catholics?
My brother-in-law married a RC who speaks with a Co Clare accent and they chose to live in one of the streets off the Lisburn Rd that leads to the bridge to Windsor Park, for the very reason that it was a safe, mixed area that both were very comfortable with.

delboy

Quote from: Main Street on April 30, 2009, 03:03:59 PM
Quote from: delboy on April 30, 2009, 02:00:03 PM
Thanks for the link, to use a sugarism what a load of old toot that article was.
So he was annoyed that people weren't tripping over themselves to speak to some poxy local sports journo and instead preferred to watch the action on the pitch.

Jerome wasn't annoyed, how could you possibly interpret annoyance.
He was just stating the obvious fact that if he was in Clones he would be doorstepped by GAA fans offering opinions.

Ok so the jist of the article was that windsor was a hateful place because he didn't have his usual level of attention from adoring sycophants like he would have at clones. How dare they the windsor bunch display such a naked hatred of jerome by totally ignoring him  ???
A load of old toot, right up there with the other nonsense being spouted on here about the lisburn road being some sort of no go area  :D

Ari

Quote from: stibhan on April 30, 2009, 03:47:30 PM
Quote from: Roger on April 30, 2009, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 30, 2009, 02:12:39 PM
As for your point about GAA tops in Bars in Belshaft city centre, you'll find that most sports clothing is off limits in most pubs in the town, also GAA tops don't have the same baggage as six county soccer tops.
Around the time of the Jerome Quinn article there was a Camogie team (think it might have been QUB) players who sometimes drank in Hunters on the Lisburn Road which has always been a leading if not the main NI supporters meeting place.  They would be in their GAA gear on Wednesday late afternoons before games and the place was full of NI supporters.  Never saw any bother and no one had a problem either way.

Excuse yourself. I have first hand experience of having death threats being made for wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road, and I can assure you that there aren't many people who would be willing to walk down Tate's Avenue with a Football top on short of them being offered a sizeable amount of money. Generally, wearing a GAA top on the Lisburn Road is likely to result in serious injury at particular times--the resident's mindset is that it's the sporting wing of the IRA.

What a load of rubbish. I live on the Lisburn Road, you can see GAA tops walking up and down it every single day of the week, and there is not a word said.

Roger

Quote from: delboy on April 30, 2009, 05:06:03 PM
A load of old toot, right up there with the other nonsense being spouted on here about the lisburn road being some sort of no go area  :D
For some on this board you can throw in Masons, Knights of Columbanus, Lisburn Road, Belfast City Centre, NI fans, and, well actually just about everyone in Northern Ireland who isn't a Gael / republican / nationalist / in the black north because they are all out to get them and there is a history of it dating back years and years. 

fitzroyalty

Its hit or miss Ari, plenty of students in the area but some of the locals would be hostile to those who wear GAA tops, speaking from experience..unless it was Tyrone fans who took exception to the armagh jersey!

mylestheslasher

What has all this talk of NI soccer team got to do with a bunch of ignorant fucks complaining about CHILDREN wearing GAA gear in public?

Maguire01

I lived on the Lisburn Road for years. Safer than many areas of the city. I wouldn't venture down Tate's Ave with a GAA top on, but on the main road i wouldn't be too worried.

The Iceman

I've sat a few times on Tates avenue in the car in a traffic jam - with the GAA top in full view and the old knuckles were always a little whiter on the steering wheel.
There is no smoke without fire boys and the Lisburn Road always left me a little uneasy.  In saying that - I was a student 97-2002 and things may have changed dramatically since then.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mountainboii

I've been up and down the Lisburn Road with a GAA hoodie or jacket on dozens of times in the last 4 years heading to uni, and I've never had a word said to me. There are plenty of places in Belfast that I'd feel uncomfortable wearing any GAA gear in, but the Lisburn Road definitely wouldn't be one of them.

The Iceman

I got into a fight in Jordanstown halls in 1998 with a guy from Rathcoole who was in hooding/ransacking kitchens- ran into him and a bunch of his friends about two weeks later at Woodys off license and was lucky to get away with my life
sounds like university and belfast has changed a bit for the better
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on April 30, 2009, 07:20:06 PM
I got into a fight in Jordanstown halls in 1998 with a guy from Rathcoole who was in hooding/ransacking kitchens- ran into him and a bunch of his friends about two weeks later at Woodys off license and was lucky to get away with my life
sounds like university and belfast has changed a bit for the better
Is the fact that he's from Rathcoole supposed to be significant? If you fought a guy from the Ardoyne, Bogside or Crossmaglen and you bumped into him and his mates you'd probably get the same treatment. They same would apply in 1998 and 2009.

The Iceman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2009, 08:06:56 PM
Is the fact that he's from Rathcoole supposed to be significant? If you fought a guy from the Ardoyne, Bogside or Crossmaglen and you bumped into him and his mates you'd probably get the same treatment. They same would apply in 1998 and 2009.
It has all the significance in the world for me:
He was a Protestant from Rathcoole - who only ventured onto the Jordanstown campus looking to cause trouble with Catholics.
I was jumped by him and his mates for being a Catholic - not just because I bopped him for wrecking a kitchen and calling me a fenian.
The bogside and cross boys who ventured onto campus were only there to chase up a bit of skirt
The Ardoyne boys couldn't get black taxis to Jordanstown for a quid so they stayed clear too.

Can you read this from the top of your horse there Tony?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on April 30, 2009, 08:39:16 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2009, 08:06:56 PM
It has all the significance in the world for me:
He was a Protestant from Rathcoole - who only ventured onto the Jordanstown campus looking to cause trouble with Catholics.
I was jumped by him and his mates for being a Catholic - not just because I bopped him for wrecking a kitchen and calling me a fenian.
The bogside and cross boys who ventured onto campus were only there to chase up a bit of skirt
The Ardoyne boys couldn't get black taxis to Jordanstown for a quid so they stayed clear too.

Can you read this from the top of your horse there Tony?
Nowhere in your original post did you give any context to the rest of the thread. You didn't mention you were wearing a gaa top or that the fella knew you were a "fenian". Maybe it should have read "I got jumped by a load of huns from the 'Coole one night because I was wearing a gaa top". That would have made more sense.