Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2009, 12:49:14 PM
Why do you say it was highlighted in the 2016 document?

Because changing the rules of the GAA is listed as an activity in itself.   If all was perfect, why would the GAA changes the rules?

My point Main Street is that there are those within the GAA (and I include myself) that have an issue with the names of some tournaments and clubs.   I (and others) think the GAA could do some more to distance itself from these things.

I agree that there are those people (who threaten kids in Tescos) that will never have anything to do with the GAA and never will.

However, if there are some within the GAA who want change and can persuade others that change is needed, they are entitled to that.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 06, 2009, 01:09:43 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2009, 12:49:14 PM
Why do you say it was highlighted in the 2016 document?

Because changing the rules of the GAA is listed as an activity in itself.   If all was perfect, why would the GAA changes the rules?

My point Main Street is that there are those within the GAA (and I include myself) that have an issue with the names of some tournaments and clubs.   I (and others) think the GAA could do some more to distance itself from these things.

I agree that there are those people (who threaten kids in Tescos) that will never have anything to do with the GAA and never will.

However, if there are some within the GAA who want change and can persuade others that change is needed, they are entitled to that.
as we have seen from recent years - sin bins and all that , sometimes the GAA over does it on looking to change things, mostly without need to do so.
For your second point, as the GAA itself are not political, there is always the opportunity for people to go join 'other clubs' that have naming conventions that are not 'offensive' to them.
Its common practice down here (dublin) for people to join clubs maybe not right beside them because they just dont like people in the nearest club...
just an idea...

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 06, 2009, 01:16:24 PM
as we have seen from recent years - sin bins and all that , sometimes the GAA over does it on looking to change things, mostly without need to do so.
For your second point, as the GAA itself are not political, there is always the opportunity for people to go join 'other clubs' that have naming conventions that are not 'offensive' to them.
Its common practice down here (dublin) for people to join clubs maybe not right beside them because they just dont like people in the nearest club...
just an idea...

I agree the GAA itself is not political. 

However I think that some clubs can have a political identity (as can clubs in other sports):  I don't think that is right.

You are correct that someone can just join another club, however I don't believe they should have to.

I don't like rules that adversely effect our games but don't think a sharpening of the rules here will do so.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 06, 2009, 01:25:56 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 06, 2009, 01:16:24 PM
just an idea...

I agree the GAA itself is not political. 

However I think that some clubs can have a political identity (as can clubs in other sports):  I don't think that is right.

You are correct that someone can just join another club, however I don't believe they should have to.

I don't like rules that adversely effect our games but don't think a sharpening of the rules here will do so.

I dont agree that clubs are political - even the one we keep mentioning with 'contentious' naming....it certainly isnt political at all...
(apart from having hurling clubs fight with Derry county board over funding that can be viewed as political in itself)

people will WANT to join other clubs and they will always do so...

dont think any change of rules are actually required tobe hnest, I know you and others wont agree , and thats fair enough.

Roger

The GAA states it is not "party Political".  I was under the impression it refuses to say it is simply not Political.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Roger on May 06, 2009, 01:52:34 PM
The GAA states it is not "party Political".  I was under the impression it refuses to say it is simply not Political.

That rule is there from 30 years ago when congress jumped through all kind of hoops over the situation in Northern Ireland.  I don't think there is an appetite to revisit all that.

Would a change/removal of that rule change unionist outlook on the GAA?

Would it make it more acceptable for kids in GAA jersies to pack bags in Tescos?

Why do unionists insist on referring to an organisation with a membership of hundreds of thousands as a unified entity called "it".  We are not "The Borg" you know?

Roger

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 06, 2009, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: Roger on May 06, 2009, 01:52:34 PM

That rule is there from 30 years ago when congress jumped through all kind of hoops over the situation in Northern Ireland.  I don't think there is an appetite to revisit all that.
Why not. It is clear it is saying that it is Political, just not party Political.

QuoteWould a change/removal of that rule change unionist outlook on the GAA?
It would go a long way for me.

QuoteWould it make it more acceptable for kids in GAA jersies to pack bags in Tescos?
I don't know. 

QuoteWhy do unionists insist on referring to an organisation with a membership of hundreds of thousands as a unified entity called "it".  We are not "The Borg" you know?
Not sure what your point is. Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Roger on May 06, 2009, 10:22:58 PM
Why not. It is clear it is saying that it is Political, just not party Political.

It is not clear it is saying it is Political.  Thats your interpretation.  I'd rather there was no rule in this regard at all.   I don't see the need for explicit statements one way or the other.

It would go a long way for me.

So for you, a change in the rulebook would go a long way for you.  Can we take it then that you feel in practice the GAA is not acting in a political manner?

Not sure what your point is. Jim.

My point is that unionists (at least around here) assign uniform views/opinions to the "GAA".  When in fact an association of a hundred of thousands of people has many views/opinions.

Roger

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 07, 2009, 10:06:42 AM

It is not clear it is saying it is Political.  Thats your interpretation.  I'd rather there was no rule in this regard at all.   I don't see the need for explicit statements one way or the other.
Seems a fairly clear interpretation given there was a whole row over people wanting to drop the word "party" and the majority voted that the GAA wasn't not Political but it was non party-Political.  The Primary Aim of the GAA is Political and it states it clearly too.

QuoteSo for you, a change in the rulebook would go a long way for you.  Can we take it then that you feel in practice the GAA is not acting in a political manner?
I feel that the GAA acts Politically as the organisation intends it to do so.  Some of the manifestations of that are vile in my opinion but often localised.  If you want the GAA to be more inclusive to Unionists then imo stating clearly that it is not Political and that the raison d'etre is simply to promote Gaelic games and Irish culture.  That would go a long way imo. It would also save any need for making uncomfortable /embarrassing statements regarding its support for the filthy 'struggle national liberation'.  (a case of not changing the past but sorting out the future more conveniently). Insisting that the tri-colour is flown and the SS played even in NI is another huge turn off for Unionists.  What these things are saying is that Ireland/Irish/Gaelic = Republican.  It is bizarre that that position effectively excludes Irishmen from playing a game because of their Political opinion. I also find it unusual that promoting that flag and it's mythological meaning in practice results in promoting only the green bit of it, especially when playing the SS.
My point is that unionists (at least around here) assign uniform views/opinions to the "GAA".  When in fact an association of a hundred of thousands of people has many views/opinions.
The GAA is a democracy and regardless of how many people are in it, it has one code.  I have dealt with the issues in the code. 

Rossfan

Quote from: Roger on May 07, 2009, 10:35:32 AM
[]The GAA is a democracy and regardless of how many people are in it, it has one code. 

Football, Hurling, Handball, Rounders, Camogie, Womens football...... that's 6 codes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Roger

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2009, 11:15:06 AM
[]The GAA is a democracy and regardless of how many people are in it, it has one code. 

Football, Hurling, Handball, Rounders, Camogie, Womens football...... that's 6 codes.
They have one code / rules governing the administration of the entire organisastion. No?   

lynchbhoy

The Primary Aim of the GAA is Political and it states it clearly too.

no point in reading any further than this  - clearly doesnt want to listen to or belive what Jim et al are telling him the GAA actually are and stand for...
you see 'taking offence' in action here folks..

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 07, 2009, 11:45:50 AM
you see 'taking offence' in action here folks..

That's more like the end of a Loony Tunes cartoon. Appropriate