Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 07, 2016, 06:17:57 PM
Quote from: The Trap on December 07, 2016, 12:41:07 PM
Tyroneforsam - who are the average teams that you think Pomeroy will not have to worry about? I presume you mean Urney, Donaghmore, Strabane, Edendork, Galbally, Greencastle and possibly Carrickmore............apart from one good year at Intermediate level what puts Pomeroy above these teams? It will be a lot tougher next year when they don't get the championship run are fighting with these teams to stay up........

We've beaten all the teams you've named in recent years and I would count us a better side now than two/three years ago, so why not aim higher than staving off relegation! There does seem to be a growing trend that Harte and O'Donnell chase immediate success and when they think they can take club no further they call it a day. They've taken us to senior football, a feat no other man could manage so I suppose we should be grateful towards them for that.

you say you are a better team than 2/3 years ago but obviously the teams you refer to may have improved also and most likely have if they have managed to get promotion and stay in Div1 whereas you are only getting promoted this year. Believe me the standard in Div1 is not as poor as a lot of people think - some people just think the top Division is all about the top 5-6 teams. It is a real battle at the bottom to maintain your status and will not be easy as the Plunketts seem to think....

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 08, 2016, 08:55:03 AM
Tyroneforsam - who are the average teams that you think Pomeroy will not have to worry about? I presume you mean Urney, Donaghmore, Strabane, Edendork, Galbally, Greencastle and possibly Carrickmore............apart from one good year at Intermediate level what puts Pomeroy above these teams? It will be a lot tougher next year when they don't get the championship run are fighting with these teams to stay up........

We've beaten all the teams you've named in recent years and I would count us a better side now than two/three years ago, so why not aim higher than staving off relegation! There does seem to be a growing trend that Harte and O'Donnell chase immediate success and when they think they can take club no further they call it a day. They've taken us to senior football, a feat no other man could manage so I suppose we should be grateful towards them for that.

you say you are a better team than 2/3 years ago but obviously the teams you refer to may have improved also and most likely have if they have managed to get promotion and stay in Div1 whereas you are only getting promoted this year. Believe me the standard in Div1 is not as poor as a lot of people think - some people just think the top Division is all about the top 5-6 teams. It is a real battle at the bottom to maintain your status and will not be easy as the Plunketts seem to think....

Jaysus Christ, who said it was going to be easy! What was said was we'd be aiming higher than fighting relegation, something a previous poster seemed to think were destined for!!

tothetop03

Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 08, 2016, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: Mikhailov on December 08, 2016, 08:55:03 AM

Jaysus Christ, who said it was going to be easy! What was said was we'd be aiming higher than fighting relegation, something a previous poster seemed to think were destined for!!

Time will tell gentlemen... I think pomeroy will be ok...

GaelTheGael

Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 07, 2016, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: driveherin on December 07, 2016, 09:47:43 AM
Truth is....Harte & O'Donnell don't believe they can take Pomeroy any further and fear relegation!! (I don't believe they will have this problem) Liam Donnelly was the same last year with Edendork. Its an easy way out......very bad form!!

That couldn't be further from the truth, there are too many average teams in the bottom half to be worrying about relegation. Obviously we're not going to be winning an O'Neill cup but there is definitely an opportunity to break into the top 8 with this team.
Division 1 as people have said will be far more competitive this year, the three teams coming up are stronger than the three who went down. Pomeroy also have the handicap of starred games which will surely affect them heavily in division 1. For a top 8 finish you also have to be beat established teams like Greencastle, Edendork, Strabane who have shown they can beat anyone on a given day as well as teams like Carrickore, Trillick, Ardboe with huge pedigree. A big ask for a team who underachieved for years in division 2 and clicked this year. Avoiding relegation and a comfortable mid table finish should be pomeroys aim this year.

rrhf

An all Ireland inter win would give them serious momentum though.   Pomeroy have an influx of new talent like trillick 3 years ago. I wouldn't rule them out next year, confidence is a big thing  in this game. They will take some big scalps. Instability in management needs to be sorted fast regardless of their all Ireland ambitions. They wouldn't want to follow their neighbours. Behind the big cups it all went tits up!

redzone

Donaghmore will struggle without McKenna. They could easily have finished mid table. Won 5/6 last games by a point. Ther were dire v aghaloo

Club boi

Quote from: redzone on December 08, 2016, 05:55:13 PM
Donaghmore will struggle without McKenna. They could easily have finished mid table. Won 5/6 last games by a point. Ther were dire v aghaloo

Why where's he going?? .............

That's right straight to Full Forward for Tyrone

Archie53

Great to see Pomeroy and the Rock representing Tyrone in All-Ireland Club semi final great feat may they now go on to win it. My concern is it may hamper their league campaign  in 2017 both moving up a division without really having a break from training as it stands. Suppose the question is it a help or hindrance to have a prolonged campaign,  are players better rested n come back fresh or plough on in pursuit of glory.

longballin

Rock dont seem to mind returning to Junior football every other year and a crack at Ulster  ::)

WT4E

Quote from: rrhf on December 08, 2016, 04:08:53 PM
An all Ireland inter win would give them serious momentum though.   Pomeroy have an influx of new talent like trillick 3 years ago. I wouldn't rule them out next year, confidence is a big thing  in this game. They will take some big scalps. Instability in management needs to be sorted fast regardless of their all Ireland ambitions. They wouldn't want to follow their neighbours. Behind the big cups it all went tits up!

To be fair Pomeroy have one little downfall in the background that Trillick didn't have. They've been too fond of the Lettuce Inn in the past!

Trillick where always knocking in around Div 1 and Div 2 and then they added some very good youth players to players who had established Div 1 experience. Has anyone on the current Pomeroy team tasted top flight football?

I still think they will stay up but to suggest they will be comfortable doing so might be a stretch - depends how the fixtures fall.

Mikhailov

What is the latest story from the hills??

Are Harte and O'Donnell gone or what is the story...

If they are leaving then surely it is better for the Plunketts to get a new man/men in now and let them adapt to the players before the start of Div1 season next year.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: GaelTheGael on December 08, 2016, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 07, 2016, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: driveherin on December 07, 2016, 09:47:43 AM
Truth is....Harte & O'Donnell don't believe they can take Pomeroy any further and fear relegation!! (I don't believe they will have this problem) Liam Donnelly was the same last year with Edendork. Its an easy way out......very bad form!!

That couldn't be further from the truth, there are too many average teams in the bottom half to be worrying about relegation. Obviously we're not going to be winning an O'Neill cup but there is definitely an opportunity to break into the top 8 with this team.
Division 1 as people have said will be far more competitive this year, the three teams coming up are stronger than the three who went down. Pomeroy also have the handicap of starred games which will surely affect them heavily in division 1. For a top 8 finish you also have to be beat established teams like Greencastle, Edendork, Strabane who have shown they can beat anyone on a given day as well as teams like Carrickore, Trillick, Ardboe with huge pedigree. A big ask for a team who underachieved for years in division 2 and clicked this year. Avoiding relegation and a comfortable mid table finish should be pomeroys aim this year.

2016 was Edendork first year in senior in 4 years - wouldn't call them an established Senior team.  Also, I wouldn't say the 3 teams going up are stronger than the 3 coming down.  Take Donaghmore vs Augher for example - out of the times they have played in last 4 years - 3 times in the league and once in the championship - Donaghmore won once.  I would say there is bottom 5/6 teams in Div 1 and the top 5/6 in Div 2 are all off a very similar standard and it would perhaps make the case for having a Div 1B again
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

redhandofgod

Quote from: WT4E on December 09, 2016, 11:19:49 AM

To be fair Pomeroy have one little downfall in the background that Trillick didn't have. They've been too fond of the Lettuce Inn in the past!

Trillick where always knocking in around Div 1 and Div 2 and then they added some very good youth players to players who had established Div 1 experience. Has anyone on the current Pomeroy team tasted top flight football?

I still think they will stay up but to suggest they will be comfortable doing so might be a stretch - depends how the fixtures fall.

Is the Lettuce Inn not only opened???

tothetop03

Quote from: redhandofgod on December 09, 2016, 02:12:31 PM
Quote from: WT4E on December 09, 2016, 11:19:49 AM

Is the Lettuce Inn not only opened???

2 Downfalls you should, Trillick has a strong pedigree in championship Pomeroy have a bit to go on that end yet...

rrhf

Quote from: Club boi on December 08, 2016, 07:37:13 PM
Quote from: redzone on December 08, 2016, 05:55:13 PM

Why where's he going?? .............

That's right straight to Full Forward for Tyrone
Donaghmores last 3 out and out full forwards.
Niall Mc Ginn
Shane Mulgrew
Niall mc Kenna 6 -  8 games in 2 years through injury.
If Nial makes the county squad this year they will just have to get on with it...