Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Just remembered. It's Dregish and Drumquin amalgamated.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

never kickt a ball

Harte gives encouragement to reserves
12 January 2007

Tyrone team-manager Mickey Harte says that players who don't make the grade with the O'Neill County still have a future in the game at inter-county level.
Harte is hugely enthusiastic about the depth of talent at his disposal but has spoken of how some players won't initially find favour with the county team-management.
"There's good players in Tyrone, and in fact there's good players who didn't even make the cut for this McKenna Cup squad, and that's unfortunate," said Harte.
"And there will be good players who will be with us in the next two or three games and they won't make the League and they won't make the Championship squad.
"But there's a good future for them. Lots of them are young and they have all to play for."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71040

realredhandfan

Donagmore management is unchanged from lat year. Joe Faloon

ziggysego

Killala of Co. Mayo beat Fulham London by 5 pts today. Greencastle now meet Killala in the All Ireland Semi-Final on 18th February 2007.
Testing Accessibility

Redhandfan

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2007, 10:13:44 PM
That's some coup for the O'Rahiily's. Although I couldn't see them challenging in the foreseeable future, perhaps the seriously competitive Fianna/Clonoe rivalry of the early 90s is to be rekindled.

I don't see it as a major coup at all....more of a major waste of money.  With or without Mr Morrison, Clonoe would be strongly fancied to finish in the top two of Division 1B this year and retain their senior status.  However, even with their new big money manager, they will still fall well short of a senior championship title.

Meanwhile, as I have stated previously on this thread, Moy are pushing hard this year for clubs to be given use of their county players for ALL league games in 2007.  It is a big ask but, because of the new league structures which are coming into place next year and the fact that we will have to finish in the top two in Division 1B to be certain of retaining our senior status, we feel that we are entitled to field our strongest possible team in every match.  I know the new regulations will allow us to have full use of our county players from 2008 but this coming season is absolutely critical in terms of retaining senior status and all we are asking for is fair play.  How can anyone expect us to finish in the top two of our division without having the services of possibly four of our very best players for half the season? 

ONeill

Quote from: Redhandfan on January 13, 2007, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2007, 10:13:44 PM
That's some coup for the O'Rahiily's. Although I couldn't see them challenging in the foreseeable future, perhaps the seriously competitive Fianna/Clonoe rivalry of the early 90s is to be rekindled.

However, even with their new big money manager, they will still fall well short of a senior championship title.

So, if the O'Rahilly's claim a semi-final spot in this year's SFC, you'll credit Morrison?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhandfan

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2007, 09:03:09 PM
So, if the O'Rahilly's claim a semi-final spot in this year's SFC, you'll credit Morrison?

No, because it will still have been a major waste of money.

ClosetotheHarte

Has there been any news on the Tyrone team for Sunday in any of the papers or on any websites? I haven't been looking too hard but when there is no mention of it on here I took it that there mustn't be a team named yet. If my memory's right the Manager would have had a team out by now in any of his previous seasons.
Naturally there will be changes and after all the commotion about the three UUJ boys I'd expect them all to get a chance this time after sitting out last week's game.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ClosetotheHarte on January 14, 2007, 12:55:18 AM
Has there been any news on the Tyrone team for Sunday in any of the papers or on any websites? I haven't been looking too hard but when there is no mention of it on here I took it that there mustn't be a team named yet. If my memory's right the Manager would have had a team out by now in any of his previous seasons.
Naturally there will be changes and after all the commotion about the three UUJ boys I'd expect them all to get a chance this time after sitting out last week's game.

No Closetotheharte not a hint of a team anywhere. Same as last week too when no team was announced - just a squad from a few days earlier. Then come the day last Sunday and Jonathan Curran appears in goals and he wasn't even in the original panel. 

sam03/05

Thought the Tyrone forwards were excellent today. Movement was great and big Rouse was a real handful at full forward. MH is gonna have a difficult job in selecting a panel for the league. Colm Cavanagh was very good as well. As for Derry well they looked very poor and Paddy Bradley is just a big time Charlie who drops the head when things are not going well. He will never get an allstar.

ziggysego

For me, I'm delighted to see a lot of strong, younger players coming throught. This could potentially be one of the strongest Tyrone teams we've seen to date. Tommy McGuigan was outstanding, you can see he's carrying the McGuigan footballing gene.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

That first half was excellent. I feared the worst when I heard the line-outs, thinking Tyrone lacked experience in the final third, especially against the likes of McGuckin and Doherty. Mugsy at CHF was revelling in the role, spraying balls about a la McDonald (or our very own snout). Cavanagh Jnr, McGuigan, McCarron and Rouse all did their chances the world of good in that sector and are putting the pressure on Enda McGinley, Penrose, Mulgrew etc for a starting place. Minus some big names at the back, you have to say the defence was fairly impressive too. Paddy Bradley was always under pressure when kicking. Carlin and Boggs carried the ball well - well it's hard to single anyone out who had a poor game - didn't get to see enough of Marlow though.

Was Sean taken off with tiredness? Hope so. Murphy showed up well - it's all relative though. As Mickey said afterwards, Tyrone were sparkling this time last year and by July they were out. So far so good though. Noticeable too that Tyrone were well on their way in terms of seasonal fitness. I read an article today on Ricey and he claims the squad fitness test is coming up soon when individuals are put through the mill to see how well they've been training. He's doing 3 nights of weights and one cardio, as well as one night training with the squad.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on January 14, 2007, 06:43:14 PM
1. Mugsy at CHF was revelling in the role, spraying balls about a la McDonald (or our very own snout).
2. Was Sean taken off with tiredness?
Agree with much of what you say O'Neill. Great Tyrone first half. Derry came out in the second half to restore some pride and to some extent achieved it but perhaps only because the game was effectively over as a contest at half-time.
With regards to Mugsy he was obviously inspired by the Gaelic Life "It's make or break" article. He had an excellent first half, scored a good point in the second half and stuck up for Colm Cavanagh when K McCloy floored him.
Big Sean Cavanagh started limping when he was substituted so perhaps injury was the reason for his substitution. With regards to Sean Cavanagh when he sets off running at a team it is a great sight to behold, unfortunately he does have a tendency to hold on to the ball too long. Some members of the crowd started to plead with him to release it a bit earlier. I've heard similar remarks about his game from many quarters. He seems to take the responsibility for the team, the same as the big talented 14 year olds seem to do for their teams'. Mind you against Armagh two years ago he was needed in this manner and wasn't found wanting.
Derry obviously take the MCKenna Cup less seriously than Tyrone and one can't help thinking if Tyrone meet them further down the line iin the Championship they will be a totally different proposition. However Tyrone did play well in the first half and that was without many of their established stars including Stephen O'Neill etc.
I also thought Dermot Carlin had a good game today at CHB following last Sunday's game. He is starting to show some of the from he showed as a minor a few years ago.

ONeill

I was thinking today at half time, who would you introduce onto the 2005 team, and who would you replace:

P McConnell;
R McMenamin, J McMahon, M McGee;
D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan;
E McGinley, S Cavanagh;
B Dooher (cpt), B McGuigan, R Mellon;
P Canavan, S O'Neill, O Mulligan.

Take Peter out of the equation.

Today's team:

P McConnell,
D McCaul, C McGinley, P Marlow,
D Harte, D Carlin, B Boggs,
M Murphy, S Cavanagh,
T McGuigan, O Mulligan, C Cavanagh,
C McCarron, P Rouse, D McDermott.

Add Gourley, Holmes, Justin McMahon, Mulgrew, Penrose, N Gormley, Murray, Devine, Curran, McCullagh (?), Hughes x 2, .......prob missing a few more

Would you like to be in Mickey's shoes?

Cloc Mor

Where did young Colm Kavanagh end up playing?  He seemed to be in the middle of the field, picking up alot of ball and driving at Derry. The longer the game went on the better he got.