Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Anybody point me towards the link of the fella in some foreign country in a wheelchair with Tyrone top on?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Radda bout yeee

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ziggysego

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 21, 2011, 12:30:49 PM
ziggy,
how come the ladies team is called sperrin og and not greencastle?
do you have players from neighbouring clubs playing for you also?

Sperrin Og used to comprise of Greencastle and Mountfield Ladies and that was the name that best suited. Mountfield Ladies then joined with Killyclogher and Sperrin Og became the Greencastle club.

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on November 21, 2011, 02:17:34 PM
There would have been some smoking and drinking done in the quiet room this morning! lol
Congrats

I wouldn't know ;)
Testing Accessibility

Sanchez

Anyone any idea of the craic with the county minor panel? Has it been named and if not when is the final cut to be made?

Tyrone Gaa

Now that Fermanagh have announced Peter 'the great' Canavan as their manager is this job a learning curve for Canavan as he waits in the background to one day replace Micky Harte.  I hope it all goes well for Peter in Fermanagh and if reports are to believed he is being well looked after for his services.
Living the dream!!!

year til sunday

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 22, 2011, 11:26:29 AM
Now that Fermanagh have announced Peter 'the great' Canavan as their manager is this job a learning curve for Canavan as he waits in the background to one day replace Micky Harte.  I hope it all goes well for Peter in Fermanagh and if reports are to believed he is being well looked after for his services.

i think its fair to say that one day Peter will be the Tyrone manager. his delve into the Fermanagh job is to cut his teeth and learn/develop his own systems and style

i hope that he doesn't take over Tyrone until all the players he played with until 2005 have retired, those who will be around longest from that squad will probably be Joe McMahon, Sean Cavanagh and Dermy Carlin

current thinking seems to be that past greats will go in and coach their team within a few years of retiring, while the opportunity is usually too great to pass up it brings with it problems when you've been one of the lads for so long, then to be the manager of the same lads is too fraught

Sky Blue Gael

Think this talk of canavan managing tyrone is a bit premature. It's hard to know how good a manager he was with errigal. There are many people believe he should have delivered a county title with them. A great playe does not always make a great manager.

ziggysego

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 21, 2011, 11:29:46 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 21, 2011, 09:02:11 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 21, 2011, 12:30:49 PM
ziggy,
how come the ladies team is called sperrin og and not greencastle?
do you have players from neighbouring clubs playing for you also?

Sperrin Og used to comprise of Greencastle and Mountfield Ladies and that was the name that best suited. Mountfield Ladies then joined with Killyclogher and Sperrin Og became the Greencastle club.
I always thought that Sperrin Óg was originally a club comprising of Mountfield, Greencastle, Gortin and Loughmacrory with home games on a farm land; Gortin (Badoney) and Loughmacrory forming their own clubs a few years later and by the mid-late 90's because most of the players were from Greencastle they moved "home" up to there. Killyclogher/Cappagh didn't field a ladies team until 2003 so there was still a few years gap. These days though, Sperrin Óg is pretty much a Greencastle club.

You could be right. Long time ago now, until each of the clubs went their own separate ways.
Testing Accessibility

trileacman

This Canavan talk is very very premature. Harte was by no means a star Tyrone player in his day but has been a fantastic manager. Likewise Gilroy and Jack O'Connor were no superstars on the pitch but have went on to do the business at management level.

The reality of the matter is that Canavan's time with Errigal has not been littered with success despite being one of the largest parishes in Tyrone with one of the most illustrious underage setups. If Canavan is to become Tyrone manager he would need to prove himself as a manager first, the same way harte did. He simply can't just be fired the role because he was the best player we ever had. The GAA world is littered with great footballers who couldn't cut the mustard as managers, there is no shame in it. Jack O'Shea is one that springs to mind.

There are many more successful managers and trainers in Tyrone who should be given the chance at it first, should Harte hang up the bib. Donnelly, Munroe, the Dromore trainer (name excapes me atm), Lawn, and a few others.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

EC Unique

Tyrone CCC meeting tonight
22 November 2011

The Tyrone Competitions Control Committee (CCC) will meet tonight to decide on the appropriate punishments to dish out to those involved in last weekend's melee in the latter stages of the Division One league final.

It is believed that Carrickmore and Dromore will be asked to identify some of their supporters when officials from both clubs are summoned before the committee. The CCC had met last week to review the referee's report and match video of the county league final that ended with violence on the pitch spreading into the stands.

Several supporters sustained injuries during the violence, with one Carrickmore man believed to have needed hospital treatment after his ear was bitten.

Both clubs and individuals will have the right of appeal against any disciplinary action taken against them.

"It is important that we don't rush this and do it as comprehensively as possible," Tyrone secretary Dominic McCaughey said yesterday.

"Obviously it depends on the level of assistance and co-operation we get from the clubs. I'd like to think that this can be brought to a swift conclusion but we will not be rushed. We need to get this right."

Tommo2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 22, 2011, 07:33:32 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 22, 2011, 06:21:22 PM
This Canavan talk is very very premature. Harte was by no means a star Tyrone player in his day but has been a fantastic manager. Likewise Gilroy and Jack O'Connor were no superstars on the pitch but have went on to do the business at management level.

The reality of the matter is that Canavan's time with Errigal has not been littered with success despite being one of the largest parishes in Tyrone with one of the most illustrious underage setups. If Canavan is to become Tyrone manager he would need to prove himself as a manager first, the same way harte did. He simply can't just be fired the role because he was the best player we ever had. The GAA world is littered with great footballers who couldn't cut the mustard as managers, there is no shame in it. Jack O'Shea is one that springs to mind.

There are many more successful managers and trainers in Tyrone who should be given the chance at it first, should Harte hang up the bib. Donnelly, Munroe, the Dromore trainer (name excapes me atm), Lawn, and a few others.
You're right in that there is a funny attachment that to be a good coach or manager you had to excel as a player in gaelic football, when there is no strong evidence of this and this line of thinking is alien outside the GAA. Canavan's managerial success have been mostly tied to Holy Trinity Cookstown in VS football, but managing an adult team is different to schools and youth teams. The inclusion of Enda Kilpatrick however should help bring a lot of experience into the Fermanagh backroom team.

What way will the inclusion of Kilpatrick bring a lot of experience. He has no more experience than Canavan and he never won anything as a club manager. I would say he has less experience than Canavan, but if experince is based on age, then you are correct!!

EC Unique

Quote from: Tommo2 on November 23, 2011, 10:40:22 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 22, 2011, 07:33:32 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 22, 2011, 06:21:22 PM

You're right in that there is a funny attachment that to be a good coach or manager you had to excel as a player in gaelic football, when there is no strong evidence of this and this line of thinking is alien outside the GAA. Canavan's managerial success have been mostly tied to Holy Trinity Cookstown in VS football, but managing an adult team is different to schools and youth teams. The inclusion of Enda Kilpatrick however should help bring a lot of experience into the Fermanagh backroom team.

What way will the inclusion of Kilpatrick bring a lot of experience. He has no more experience than Canavan and he never won anything as a club manager. I would say he has less experience than Canavan, but if experince is based on age, then you are correct!!
Kilpatrick has been involved in the background with Tyrone at most underage levels for 20 odd years and does not get enough credit for it. He is a wealth of experience.

Tyrone Gaa

GAA have announced league fixtures for the 2012 season and Tyrone kick off on 4th Feb vs Kildare in Croke Park as part of a curtain raiser to Dublin vs Kerry. (Kildare agreed to forfit home advantage) I think this is an unbelievible opportunity for Micky to blood a few youngsters in Croke Park!! 

Master stroke by the GAA and only 15euro for the double header.  Not often I praise the GAA but credit were its due
Living the dream!!!

Man Marker

I believe that Johnny Mc Bride has parted company with Galbally and Ronan Mc Guckian isn't with Derrylaughan next yr either. What about Coalisland, Clonoe and Arboe