Guinness Regular vs Guinness Extra Cold

Started by Caid, February 19, 2009, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caid

Now I don't know if Guinness Extra Cold is that prevalent in Ireland yet - I doubt it - but in England its the norm and many bars have done away with regular Guinness and only have this extra cold stuff. 

In one small irish bar (that didn't have normal Guinness on tap) I was told by the owner "sure only oul men drink that regular Guinness and sure you're not an oul man are ya?"

So what's the story? Why is this Guinness Extra Cold taking over?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Guiness extra cold was tried and failed when I was bartending over 8 years ago.

I thought it was Guinness all the way now.

Except for Pintsofguinness. Can be a little bitter or sour depending on the day.

thewobbler

I don't have the most sensitive taste buds, but I've drank my fair share of Guinness. And I reckon that the only way a man could tell the difference between a Guinness and a Guinness Extra Cold is to get served a pint of each at once, while watching which pump each came from.

I defy anybody to be handed a pint of Guinness and say without fear of contradiction that it was in fact Extra Cold.

doire na raithe

Naturally the colder the Guinness then the more it dulls the taste. Which is why extra cold is popular among people who may not otherwise be a huge fan of the Guinness taste (including me).

Bud Wiser

Budweiser, stick with Bud Wiser.

All Guinness tastes the same after about the seventh pint.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Square Ball

Quote from: Puckoon on February 19, 2009, 08:32:16 PM
Guiness extra cold was tried and failed when I was bartending over 8 years ago.

I thought it was Guinness all the way now.

Except for Pintsofguinness. Can be a little bitter or sour depending on the day.

;D ;D

i appreciate you humour Puc
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

gerry

Have to agree stout to cold is tasteless, give me the regular stuff any day.  
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Square Ball

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 09:16:54 PM
YOure the only one SB.

ach come on, it was funny.

On the regular v cold, I cant stand either of them.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

Quoteach come on, it was funny.
Dont encourage him, next thing you know he'll be trying out his humour on girls and that would just be embarrassing for everyone.

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: Caid on February 19, 2009, 08:29:28 PM

Now I don't know if Guinness Extra Cold is that prevalent in Ireland yet - I doubt it - but in England its the norm and many bars have done away with regular Guinness and only have this extra cold stuff. 

In one small irish bar (that didn't have normal Guinness on tap) I was told by the owner "sure only oul men drink that regular Guinness and sure you're not an oul man are ya?"

So what's the story? Why is this Guinness Extra Cold taking over?

What a bunch of fancy fe cking tos spots just drink the black stuff as it is and as it was meant to be to he ll with all the new sh ite.
ta se mor

thejuice

Yeah, even in the local Irish pub the Extra Cold is the norm but you can still get the normal Guiness if you ask for it but if you dont you get extra cold. Although the pub I usually frequent (which isnt Irish by the way) has Murphy's and no Guinness at all.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on February 20, 2009, 09:33:53 AM
Yeah, even in the local Irish pub the Extra Cold is the norm but you can still get the normal Guiness if you ask for it but if you dont you get extra cold. Although the pub I usually frequent (which isnt Irish by the way) has Murphy's and no Guinness at all.
Do they just leave and Extra cold on the rad for a 5 minutes?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.