Casement will not host Rules game

Started by Maguire01, February 17, 2009, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Zapatista on February 18, 2009, 01:17:58 PM
Quote from: Mickeys beard on February 17, 2009, 09:12:54 PM
Whilst not being Gaa, IR showcases our best GAA athletes, is organised by the GAA, is inextricably linked to the GAA and will be attended by GAA fans.  Oh, and the Gaelic grounds is a GAA stadium.   

Does the GAA not do this without the IR?

I doubt that a Limerick Clare football match would half fill the gaelic grounds.
  Anyway, I live in Limerick, so it's walkin distance for me!
Boil the Drawers!

fred the red

Quote from: Mickeys beard on February 18, 2009, 09:13:34 PM
Whilst not being Gaa, IR showcases our best GAA athletes, is organised by the GAA, is inextricably linked to the GAA and will be attended by GAA fans.  Oh, and the Gaelic grounds is a GAA stadium.   

I doubt that a Limerick Clare football match would half fill the gaelic grounds.

Thats handy for a party after...good man.

winsamsoon

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 18, 2009, 03:39:51 PM
Pints the fact that they held a hunger strike rally should have no bearing whatsoever on the decision to host the compromised rules. It should be a separate decision based only on the availability and more importantly the suitability of the grounds. Apart from Croke hosting the second leg the Central council should decide on the best ground for the first test.However it should also be shared around and in fairness it has been. It has been to Pearse stadium and now Limerick to my knowledge i am sure there are more. I think now it should in future be in Ulster and Leinster (Parnell Park may have already got one) IT should be shared aroud because at the end of the day it is representative of all within the GAA.

Obviously Maguire in your idiotic excitement to try and get a smart comment in you have once again failed to read the post properly. I wasn't refering to the second test as it always is in Croke park but i guess the nit picking brigade that scrutinise every work couldn't grasp this. So for your benefit the first test should also be hosted in Leinster. Honestly some of the ways in which people try and get kicks baffles me.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

BallyhaiseMan

Will they even fill the Gaelic Grounds youd have to wonder?
Limerick and some of the surrounding counties,Clare,Tipp etc wouldnt be football hotbeds known for their massive Football support, i suppose there would be a few from Kerry and Cork .
Limerick is an awkward enough place to get to,cant imagine many from Ulster,and Northern Connacht and East of Offaly will travel.

deaconblue

its a great dicision and no problem filling the ground, limerick is a fine town and always good for a night out,and its also walking distance for me. ;D

Smokin Joe

Quote from: T Fearon on February 18, 2009, 02:45:09 PM
Believe it or not, the Athletic Grounds in Armagh hosted a compromise rules game in 1984, in centenary year.

Was that the Ulster v Oz game that was on during a weekday afternoon?  As a pupil of CBS Primary School I remember being taken to that game, and unbelievably Ulster won by something like 77 - 27.

Zapatista

Quote from: Mickeys beard on February 18, 2009, 09:13:34 PM

I think you missed my point.

T Fearon

Smokin Joe, thats the one. In those days the Aussies played a game or two against the provinces as well as the international tests

Bensars

Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 19, 2009, 06:36:54 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 18, 2009, 02:45:09 PM
Believe it or not, the Athletic Grounds in Armagh hosted a compromise rules game in 1984, in centenary year.

Was that the Ulster v Oz game that was on during a weekday afternoon?  As a pupil of CBS Primary School I remember being taken to that game, and unbelievably Ulster won by something like 77 - 27.

There was also a game at Healy Park in Omagh. Might have been the same year. All i remember was we were like drowned rats. Several years later in Croke park same thing.   A lot of rain follows the aussies

tc_manchester

I was at the game in Armagh in 84 - I'd love to see what the team line out was. I remember thinking that they'd got the biggest hallions from Ulster playing that day. There was no messing from the Aussies. I remember a man mountain from Donegal playing - I think it was Des Newton but I might be wrong

Maguire01

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 19, 2009, 12:13:36 AM
Quote from: winsamsoon on February 18, 2009, 03:39:51 PM
Pints the fact that they held a hunger strike rally should have no bearing whatsoever on the decision to host the compromised rules. It should be a separate decision based only on the availability and more importantly the suitability of the grounds. Apart from Croke hosting the second leg the Central council should decide on the best ground for the first test.However it should also be shared around and in fairness it has been. It has been to Pearse stadium and now Limerick to my knowledge i am sure there are more. I think now it should in future be in Ulster and Leinster (Parnell Park may have already got one) IT should be shared aroud because at the end of the day it is representative of all within the GAA.

Obviously Maguire in your idiotic excitement to try and get a smart comment in you have once again failed to read the post properly. I wasn't refering to the second test as it always is in Croke park but i guess the nit picking brigade that scrutinise every work couldn't grasp this. So for your benefit the first test should also be hosted in Leinster. Honestly some of the ways in which people try and get kicks baffles me.
My excitement? You're the one who seems to be getting very worked up!
I am well aware that the second leg is held in Croke Park - i didn't fail to read the post at all.

It wasn't meant to be a smart comment either. My point is that the Leinster supporters already have a match close to them - they are already accommodated. The effort should be in accommodating the areas furthest away from Dublin. In my view this makes more sense than to have the first test an hour away from Dublin, just so that another Leinster ground can have the first leg.

NAG

What would be the tax implications of one the games being held in the North? think that could have been part of the reasoning for casement not getting it!

corn02

Quote from: tc_manchester on February 19, 2009, 12:02:27 PM
I was at the game in Armagh in 84 - I'd love to see what the team line out was. I remember thinking that they'd got the biggest hallions from Ulster playing that day. There was no messing from the Aussies. I remember a man mountain from Donegal playing - I think it was Des Newton but I might be wrong

The Grimleys would have featured no doubt? I remeber TG4 showed a few old games and John I think played for Ireland a few times.

T Fearon

Grimleys were only minors in 1984 so wou;dn't have featured. Plunkett Donaghy featured for Ulster that day, as did the likes of Peter Mc Ginnity, Joe Kernan etc. Don't recall any particularly rough incidents.

I well remember the game in Croker in 2002, what a downpour, rained non stop and I had won tickets for the front of the bottom deck of the Cusack, but my luck was out as I nearly got pneumonia :-\

ONeill

1st Test - October 21st , Pairc Uí Chaoimh (8,000)

IRELAND 57
AUSTRALIA 70

Ireland: M. Furlong, N. Roche, M Lyons, S. Mc Hugh, J Kerrigan (6), T Spillane, PJ Buckley (1), J. O'Shea (9), S Fahy, B Rock (9), E. Liston (13), D. Mc Nicholl (4), C O'Rourke (3), T Dwyer, M Connor (6).

Interchange: S Walsh, R Connor, L Tierney, J Costello, L Hayes, B O'Donnell (6).

Australia: G Mc Intosh, C Holden, G Pert, B Hardie (3), K Di Pierdomenico, M Rance, T Flower (4), M Lee (10), M Rioli (6), C Bradley (10), R Glendenning (10), A Daniels (1), S Malaxos, T Daniher (3) and J Platten (8).

Interchange: F Motley, R Wiley, M Aish (9), D Ackerley, S Kernehan (6), S Madden

2nd Test - October 28th, Croke Park (12,500)

IRELAND 80
AUSTRALIA 76

Ireland: M. Furlong, N. Roche (1), M Lyons, S. Mc Hugh, J Kerrigan (7), T Spillane, PJ Buckley (1), J. O'Shea (4), S Walsh, P Mc Ginnity, S Fahy (4), D. Mc Nicholl (10), B Rock (10), C O'Rourke (18), B O'Donnell (6).

Interchange: L Austin (8), L Tierney (3), G Blaney (3), M Martin (6), F Mc Mahon, P Donaghy

Australia: G Mc Intosh, C Holden, G Pert, R Greene (1), B Hardie (1), M Rance (3), K Di Pierdomenico (1), S Malaxos (10), T Daniher (2), T Flower (15), R Glendenning (8), G Healy (10), M Lee (4), C Bradley (3) and J Platten (1).

Interchange: D Ackerly, F. Motley, M Aish, S Kernehan (9), M Rioli (7), A Daniels (1).

3rd Test - November 4th, Croke Park (32,318)

IRELAND 71
AUSTRALIA 76

Ireland: M. Furlong, N. Roche, M Lyons, S. Mc Hugh, J Kerrigan, T Spillane, PJ Buckley, J. O'Shea, S Fahy, B Rock, E. Liston, D. Mc Nicholl, C O'Rourke, T Dwyer, M Connor.

Interchange: S Walsh, R Connor, L Tierney, J Costello, L Hayes, B O'Donnell.

Australia: G Mc Intosh, C Holden, G Pert, B Hardie, K Di Pierdomenico, M Rance, T Flower, M Lee, M Rioli, C Bradley, R Glendenning, A Daniels, S Malaxos, T Daniher and J Platten.

Interchange: F Motley, R Wiley, M Aish, D Ackerley, S Kernehan , S Madden
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.