Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Regardless of the name, the Irish have been as much a part of the Lions as the English, Scots and Welsh since it all started back 100 years ago.

Roger

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on June 26, 2009, 03:30:29 PM

Is the "irish" bit in the title not a relatively new addition?
It was founded as a the British Isles team and the name modified in the 50s to "British Lions" due to common parlance and description given to the team because of the logo on the shirt. In 2001 the name changed to "British and Irish Lions" to reflect the political /national identity/sensitivities of the constituent parts of the team. There's nothing Political about the team and people involved in rugby, whether they see themselves as British or Irish or both, are natuarlly proud of their own region's representation but have a collective rugby identity and bond in this superb touring concept. British and Irish players see this as the pinnacle of their career. Ireland down through the years have punched above their weight when providing both players and captains for the team.

Overthebar!

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 25, 2009, 05:24:57 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 25, 2009, 01:52:08 PM
Delighted for Fitzgerald. Hope he does himself justice.

Would be 9 Irish starting if Ferris and Flannery were fit!

Glad for Fitzgerald as well . I was reading an article a few weeks ago (some one might have posted it on this thread ) how when he was 16 he was woking with Enda Mc Nulty ( one of the armagh twins the sports phycologist) he had to write down what he hoped to achieve in 5 years and he had achieved nearly the lot now that he has been picked for this test.   

puck ye deel rover, looked through 30something pages for thon article and its not there. you havent got a link to it do you?

Schkite

In Stephen Jones' latest article he claimed the dream Lions back three was Williams-Byrne-Moyne, and it's a shame the Springboks won't get to see the best of the Lions attack now that they're all out of favour/injured! What other reaction did we expect I suppose after an Irish back three was selected, but this fella never fails to amaze me!

tyrone exile

http://sportsdesi1.blogspot.com/
Incase anyone wants to watch it.
Starting now

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: tyrone exile on June 27, 2009, 02:00:19 PM
http://sportsdesi1.blogspot.com/
Incase anyone wants to watch it.
Starting now

Thanks Lad - was just about to ask did anybody know of any streams!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Archie Mitchell

Pure dirt from Burger there.

Yellow card inside 30 seconds.

tyroneboi

GO ON BOD GET STUCK IN!!

Archie Mitchell

Lion's are on fire here.
Irish boys playing well
Great try from Kearney.

tyroneboi

Some start from the Lions.

Kearney try 8-0 with conversion to come!

TORGAEL

screenexile

great start. Hope it keeps up like this. Great start from the Irish back 3! Kearney playin a blinder.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Only listening on radio here so didn't see the Berger incident but is gouging not supposed to be a red card offence?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TORGAEL

Archie Mitchell

Rob Kearney having a great game.