Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: erne bhoy on June 17, 2009, 12:31:23 AM
To echo the sentiments of some of the other lads, jones is an absolute p***k. Leaving poc out, wtf? I'm pretty sure I also remember Reading some load of balls by him before the tour that he wouldn't even take bod. You really would have to question very deeply whether he was taking the piss. Anyone else remember this or does my memory fail me?

The Kevin Myers of rugby journalism, I think he knows what he is doing.

Hound

On Sky Sports on Saturday night, Scott Quinnell also left POC out of his test team. He went with AW Jones and Shaw. Said he'd bring O'Connell on for Shaw after about 50 minutes.

As for the Lions game yesterday, Earls showed his strengths and weaknesses. With ball in hand he was superb, the extra space a 15 gets suited him down to the ground and he made some excellent runs. However, both his kicking and his tackling need a lot of work.

O'Gara played really well, far better than Jones did last time. Though missing touch with a penalty with 2 or 3 minutes to go was a bad time to make a bad error. Hook's injury will ensure he gets a place on the bench though.

Luke Fitz continues to look very sharp, but again didnt get the opportunity to really show his stuff, therefore it'll be Moyne and Kearney who between them will get the 11 jersey and the bench place. With Kearney's big boot, I think he still has a real chance of starting, with Monye to be sprung in the last 15/20 mins.

PS: Heard Monye and O'Gara moaning about the overly physical nature of the opposition. Don't see the point in that at all. The Southern Kings were absolutely within their rights to be as physical as the officials would allow them to be. If they did cross the line its the officials the Lions should be complaining, rather than whinging about the S.Africans.

turk

Agree Hound!
Surely the touring players are aware that aggressive play is common during the midweek matches!!!!!!1

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AZOffaly

David Wallace is lucky enough. I'd say the fact the Philips was nailed on helped Jones as well, although I actually think Jones' size makes him a better bet against the 'Boks.

Good to see Donnacha O'Callaghan on the bench.

DennistheMenace

No real suprises, should be a great first test.

orangeman

Shane Williams not on the binch even !!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: orangeman on June 18, 2009, 01:06:24 PM
Shane Williams not on the binch even !!

Nor Fitzgerald, who was tipped to possibly start. Kearney must be the Wing cover aswell as cover for Byrne, which makes sense i suppose
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

magpie seanie

I just wonder have they got the back row balance right. An awful shame that Flannery got injured and/or that Best wasn't brought along. Think we'll see O'Gara after 60 to hopefully land a few pens to seal a win.

muppet

Looking at that bench they are very light on cover outside 10 and that leads me to believe that Hook would have been there instead of O'Gara if he was fit.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2009, 02:39:00 PM
Looking at that bench they are very light on cover outside 10 and that leads me to believe that Hook would have been there instead of O'Gara if he was fit.

Fair point muppet. O'Gara hasn't done enough for me on this Tour to be fair and I think Jones was always going to get the nod over him. O'Gara offers frail defence and no option as a runner and even in the games he's played O'Gara's kicking from hand hasn't been great and Jones is able to control a game just as well as O'Gara so I think it was a no brainer really.

A very good split between the English, Irish and Welsh with 5 a piece from Ireland and England and 6 from Wales. Having seen the team named and the subs I am confident the Lions can do well and I'm sure Gatland and Edwards have held plenty back to be unleashed for the First Test that will have the Boks thinking. Also the Lions should be much sharper having played so many warm up games and the Boks having only had one warm up against Namibia. If they want any hope of winning the series this game needs to be won when South Africa will not be at their optimum level from the start.

Roll on Saturday!

Joxer

Is Williams not down with some sort of bug or some sickness?  Moyne was late replacement for him the other day

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't have Ugo Monye in there but it is hard to argue with that selection. The only other positions that looked up for grabs were in the back row where they've gone for Wally's power and ball-carrying over Williams' groundhog prowess. The split between the nationalities is good but I can't help thinking that Flannery and Ferris would be playing if they were fit.

I think Saturday's test is the Lions best chance of a win against the Boks. I don't think they'll get whitewashed in this series and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they turned over the Boks on Saturday.

Rumour doing the rounds that the Bull Hayes has been called up to replace Euan Murray. No more than the great man deserves if its true.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Decent price to win on Saturday - think its 5/2 or something like that. Worth a punt I think.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Schkite

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 18, 2009, 03:01:21 PM
Rumour doing the rounds that the Bull Hayes has been called up to replace Euan Murray. No more than the great man deserves if its true.

This is true alright, the Bull is on his way!

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/9670.php